Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
Here is a thought.

Everyone who can not make calls on their new phones should return them since they are having such terrible issues. Everyone who has a phone that works fine can go on their merry way.

great thought! don't fix the product, just ignore the problem.

you fanboys :)

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
If people complained to ATT/Apple half as much as they complain on this forum I would be willing to get they could get the fees back.

Fidget08

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Why, so blindly faithful users who created their accounts in 2002 don't have to be exposed to news stories that hit the nail on the head? Head in the sand much? Guess what, Apple's post-2002 customers far outnumber their pre-2002 customers, so get used to to reading things you may not like from people newer to Apple than you.

Thank you! I was waiting for someone to tell that guy off. hes sitting nice with his .02 posts a day. So much for contributing. And then he posts today just to flame somebody. Hes acting like a July joiner.

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
how the hell is software going to fix it? i don't give a damn about how many bars i see.... take them all away for all i care..... but when i hold my iphone4 the SAME EXACT WAY I HELD MY 3GS FOR THE PAST YEAR.... all of the sudden i lose the ability to connect to data/internet...???????? that's not a software issue..... it's a hardware issue! UGH..... fanboys.... :mad:

i discovered MY issue on my own..... i hadn't read anything about it when it first happened.... i came here to report and it found out it had already exploded.... i'm really sick and tired of the posters that try to say this is all exaggerated... in our heads.... etc.... apple ****ED up! they need to fix it! i still love all the things that my iphone 4 has the potential to do.... but apple needs to step up to the plate and FIX IT!

If you hate the phone, return it. Otherwise, take some courses in RF engineering at your local community college before you profess to know anything about which you clearly know nothing.

As I posted earlier, the problem/issue/travesty is by touching the band, you are changing the length of the antenna--not shorting it out. This will be fixed in software. The other variable is the 3G network or physical defect in your specific phone. If you are unsure, take it in to Apple and have them test it to be sure.

What cracks me up is everyone thinks they are an RF Engineer or Expert, which clearly is not the case.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
Are you in the US? If so, there's a law that prevents such a thing if I'm not mistaken, but I could be wrong. My understanding is that it's against the law for you to be charged the full product or purchase price for something - even on a pre-order type deal - until it is shipped from whatever distribution center it's coming from.

As the pre-orders didn't ship till at least a given date (what was it, the 20th?) and the pre-order itself was the 14th (I could be mistaken on that as well, if I am I apologize, can't find an accurate reference), it wouldn't have been legit of Apple or whoever to charge you the complete price for something that hadn't shipped yet...

Most people could (and do) care less about the fine print or what's right or wrong but, if I order something and they say it'll ship on a certain date - not the date that I order it - they are not going to charge me for it. That protects the consumer from possible order mishaps, backlogs, sudden loss of inventory, etc - they haven't paid for something they're not absolutely going to have shipped, I mean.

Semantics? Probably, but I ain't paying for something till it ships. I don't mind a small pre-order fee, like 10% down or whatever to guarantee an item is set aside for me specifically and then the full balance charged when the item ships but, full price when ordered and it's shipped some other date, forget that.

If I order a laptop from Dell and it says it won't be shipped for 3 weeks, they don't charge me the full purchase price till 10 minutes after the delivery is turned over to the shipping agent, for example. Never heard of any company getting away with charging full price on the pre-order, that's insane.

But... we are talking about Apple I suppose. ;)

i find this to be the case for MOST preorders... however there is one fitness company i order from that always charges immediately and has gone well over a year on a coupld of occasions before the final product is shipped.... i always wonder how they can get away with that???????????

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
and a lot are.

Right. And the people that ARE should RETURN THE FREAKING THING IF THEY THINK IT'S NOT WORKING.

If having a functional phone makes me a fanboy then so be it.

I am willing to entertain the idea that I am one of the "lucky" ones. But if I had half the issues people on here are complaining about I would NOT wait for a recall, I would return the phone and get my money back. You would be stupid to not do that.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
If you hate the phone, return it. Otherwise, take some courses in RF engineering at your local community college before you profess to know anything about which you clearly know nothing.

As I posted earlier, the problem/issue/travesty is by touching the band, you are changing the length of the antenna--not shorting it out. This will be fixed in software. The other variable is the 3G network or physical defect in your specific phone. If you are unsure, take it in to Apple and have them test it to be sure.

What cracks me up is everyone thinks they are an RF Engineer or Expert, which clearly is not the case.

Oh. the hypocrisy.

sofakng

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
I really like the people saying I DON'T HAVE THE PROBLEM, so why would they issue a recall?!?

You don't have the problem? Great. What about the thousands of people who do? Ignore them I guess since YOU don't have the problem.

EDIT: Also, I just found out I can't return the phone to AT&T without suffering a 10% restocking fee. Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Fidget08

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010

He just said he loves his iPhone so why would he return it. Are you a RF engineer? Because if your not anymore credible that he is. I feel that if you can influence the problem with a finger its got to be a hardware issue.

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007

just don't take the courses at the same place as the :apple: engineers.
:rolleyes:

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Not every Toyota had the issue with the gas pedal, and they issued the recall.

With enough public pressure, Apple will have to act.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
First Apple needs a solution. I'm wondering if they don't have one, other than a complete redesign of the phone. Best case may be if Apple could come up with a retrofit kit they could send to customers, but I don't see a recall.

More likely we'll probably see Bumper cases to any iPhone 4 customer who wants one, or perhaps just a $29 store credit. That's the easiest thing to do.

Worst case, maybe Apple will offer to exchange iPhone 4's for a 3GS w/ a $100 store credit.

if i have to go back to a 3GS (great phone!!!!!) i want my date reset with at$t.... i didn't sign a new two year contract so that i could use the 3GS for another 2 years :mad:

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
"Yep, they are morons for making the active antenna external. Hide it in glass, plastic, whatever.. never expose the thing... Grabbing basically any other antenna has a similar effect -usually the effect isn't so obvious, because we don't normally grab 2ghz antennae. Your flesh effectively changes the wavelength of the dipole, hence the reflected power (the power going back into the transmitter, the opposite of effective radiated power) increases. This will, over time, damage the transmitter. Apple had better recall these things while they still can.. or they're going to have a few hundred thousand bricks on their hands."

This is pure conjecture, and bad science. Your flesh doesn't change the wavelength--only the transmitter can do that, what impeds it is altering/modifying the length of the antenna. Your flesh absorbs the waves with the exception of X and Gamma rays (to name a few).

Also, you are not damaging the transmitter--you must have missed the fact that there is zero electricity flowing through the antenna.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
If you bought food at the store and you KNEW it was bad, would you return it? Or would you wait for the company to (maybe) issue a recall?

I am not ignoring anyone with problems because my phone is working- I am simply saying if the phone is not working then you should really return it. Don't sit around with a product you consider to be sub-standard assuming a recall will be issued. It's very possible there won't be.

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
I really like the people saying I DON'T HAVE THE PROBLEMEDIT: Also, I just found out I can't return the phone to AT&T without suffering a 10% restocking fee. Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

i would try arguing with a manager over the restocking fee. you weren't sold a phone knowing that it works only when holding it a certain way, or only if you buy a $30 case.

also try calling their corporate number.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
I really like the people saying I DON'T HAVE THE PROBLEM, so why would they issue a recall?!?
You don't have the problem? Great. What about the thousands of people who do? Ignore them I guess since YOU don't have the problem.

First off there there has been no recall yet unless you have the oracle of Delphi with you and can see into the future :rolleyes:

Second yes my phone is working and are you suggesting that i protest apple your behalf? Honestly if your phone is not working how does that impact my life? Yes it sucks your is having an issue but honestly my enjoyment of the iPhone doesnt hinge on your satisfaction of it.

Talk about being self centered. Geesh

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
If you bought food at the store and you KNEW it was bad, would you return it? Or would you wait for the company to (maybe) issue a recall?

I am not ignoring anyone with problems because my phone is working- I am simply saying if the phone is not working then you should really return it. Don't sit around with a product you consider to be sub-standard assuming a recall will be issued. It's very possible there won't be.

i agree with that. the more people who return this crap instead of covering up the problem with a bumper the better.

but people also realize what a great device the iphone has been in the past, and they really would like one without these types of issues (me included) so i also understand their frustration with apple not even really admitting fault, and instead coming out with their very first $30 case on launch day that just happens to mask the design flaw.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal

yo, juan.... maybe you need to go back to school and take a reading comprehension course? where did i ever say in my post that i hated my phone? UHM.... NOWHERE! as a matter of fact... i said i loved its potential....

and i never said i was an rf engineer or expert... and i'm thinking neither are you....

Fidget08

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010

But your not buying the food from the distributor. Your buying it from a third party. Which in the case of food could be thousands of places. 3 or 4 places sell iPhones. And a phone wont kill you if its bad. That wasnt a very good example man

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
How long will Apple probably keep our phone if they did a recall? A week? 2 weeks? Even more?:confused:

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
He just said he loves his iPhone so why would he return it. Are you a RF engineer? Because if your not anymore credible that he is. I feel that if you can influence the problem with a finger its got to be a hardware issue.

i'm a SHE :)

tirk

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Wimbledon, UK
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your iPhone DOES have the reception issue. They ALL do. You just haven't been anywhere yet (with lower signal strength) that has made you aware of it.

Wrong. :eek:

What I mean by that is that, in normal operation, my phone works for me, always. In both high and low signal areas. If I agree that's it's probably my fault for holding it the wrong way can we all stop calling each other liars?? :rolleyes:

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
But your not buying the food from the distributor. Your buying it from a third party. Which in the case of food could be thousands of places. 3 or 4 places sell iPhones. And a phone wont kill you if its bad. That wasnt a very good example man

You're correct. Everyone with a funk phone should just keep it and never consider returning it and assume there will be a recall.

You know what I meant man- any normal store would take back a defected product, be it food or electronics. I'm not talking about distributors and their relationships with manufacturing. I'm saying I wouldn't settle for a product that is not in working order, and neither should any of you. If it's not working up to snuff you need to return it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.