Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pre-orders for Apple's new HomePod mini smart speaker began last Friday, and shipping times have already started slipping into December.

homepodminicolors.jpg

The first wave of HomePod mini pre-orders are expected to arrive in customers' hands on Monday, November 16 at the earliest, but supply constraints have started to hit stock of both white and space gray variants, with the latter color faring worst.

Taking a HomePod mini through Apple's online checkout today, the space gray color delivers between December 2 and December 9 with Express Shipping selected, and selecting Standard Delivery shows delivery dates between December 3 and December 10.

Meanwhile the white color delivers between November 24 and December 2 with Express Delivery selected, and between November 25 and December 3 if choosing Standard Delivery.

The difference in delivery wait times could mean the space grey is proving more popular. On the other hand, it could just be indicative of manufacture and supply chain issues for that particular model. Either way, if you're looking to pick up a HomePod mini as soon as possible, the white color is the one to order.

Lest we forget, pre-orders for the iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max also began last Friday, and while supplies appear to have been adequate enough to meet initial demand, the 256GB iPhone 12 mini in some colors and some ‌iPhone 12 Pro‌ Max colors and capacities will not arrive until later in November or early December for orders placed now.

Article Link: Pre-Ordered HomePod Mini Delivery Times Slip into Early December

PJWilkin

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
i ordered early (1x Black), originally it was scheduled for 16th November, now estimated at 19th

Reactions: SurferPup
Comment

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I own two Homepods and they sound great, really. But Siri is just not good enough. If you thought Siri was bad on your iPhone or Mac it's worse on the Homepod in some aspects and better in others.

She hears you more clearly, that's great.
She takes longer to interact with your home devices that were added to Homekit on your iPhone though. Lights? forget about it.

I can't count the number of times I've said "turn the lights on" for my Homepod to respond "hmm.." "hmm.." "I'm sorry that device isn't responding" or even "You don't have any lights setup" lol but I can go to my phone, hey siri, turn the lights on and boom they're on.

The consistency of the assistant software between the different devices Siri is available on is insane. I can literally say to our Amazon Echo "Alexa turn the lights on" and she does it even faster than Siri on my iPhone that has the lights added right there on device.

So yeah, I love my Homepods for sound quality but Siri is just terrrrrible. So I'm really confused as to why people would want a Homepod Mini unless you've never tried a Homepod before because it doesn't have the sound quality of the big Homepod but has the same bad Siri.

Last thing I wanted to say is I do love my Homepod, for its audio quality. And that's all sadly.

Comment

and 1989 others

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2016
If you were launching a product, would you:

1 - Underproduce to create hype and no cash
2 - Produce as much as you can to earn cash

This whole underproducing idea is just silly.
If they have shipping estimates on ORDERS into december, they are both taking cash and continuing to produce them, with a backlog. You didn't really think that through, did you?

Comment

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I own two Homepods and they sound great, really. But Siri is just not good enough. If you thought Siri was bad on your iPhone or Mac it's worse on the Homepod in some aspects and better in others.

She takes longer to interact with your home devices that were added to Homekit on your iPhone though. Lights? forget about it.

I can't count the number of times I've said "turn the lights on" for my Homepod to respond "hmm.." "hmm.." "I'm sorry that device isn't responding" or even "You don't have any lights setup" lol but I can go to my phone, hey siri, turn the lights on and boom they're on.

The consistency of the assistant software between the different devices Siri is available on is insane. I can literally say to our Amazon Echo "Alexa turn the lights on" and she does it even faster than Siri on my iPhone that has the lights added right there on device.

So yeah, I love my Homepods for sound quality but Siri is just terrrrrible. So I'm really confused as to why people would want a Homepod Mini unless you've never tried a Homepod before because it doesn't have the sound quality of the big Homepod but has the same bad Siri.

Last thing I wanted to say is I do love my Homepod, for its audio quality. And that's all sadly.
Yeah sometimes Siri works very well, but there’s a lot of times it says “hmmm” and “just a sec” or it can’t find it all together. I got a HomePod mini anyway though for my bedroom and have 1 HomePod in the bathroom and 1 in the living room.

We’ll see how it goes.

Comment

Grey Area

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
If you were launching a product, would you:

1 - Underproduce to create hype and no cash
2 - Produce as much as you can to earn cash

This whole underproducing idea is just silly.

I don't think they do it to produce hype, but I think they may have been more conservative in their initial production of the Mini given that the original HomePod probably wasn't the smash hit they had hoped back then. Producing as much as you can without actually selling, that is the option you really want to avoid.

Reactions: Chazzle
Comment

tsa1

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2008
I think the HomePod is a much better deal at $199. I can’t imagine this HomePod sounding anywhere near the HomePod. Siri sucks, but the sound is incredible.

Reactions: Return Zero
Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I think the HomePod is a much better deal at $199. I can’t imagine this HomePod sounding anywhere near the HomePod. Siri sucks, but the sound is incredible.

I suspect the Mini is probably the perfect accessory for like a bedroom or office, where the regular HomePod is likely more to be centralized in the living room area, where It can really take advantage of boasting its sound.

I am curious to see what others initial thoughts are in terms of the overall audio quality the Mini can produce.

Comment

Jony Ive and Co.

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2020
I miss the days when we literally had to fight to pre-order apple products, especially in the early days of the iphone, and the products will be out of stock for MONTHS, not just these few weeks like homepod

Comment

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK

It's interesting you say this because my experience is the EXACT opposite. I never use our HomePod for audio but it's a rock solid mainstay of our smart home, deals with all the lights and sensors etc without fail every time and is even getting really good at recoginising the difference between my wife and I (it was awful to begin with). This is why I've pre-ordered two minis to spread that further through the house without spending a fortune (also I'm sick of my wife shouting down the stairs hoping Siri will hear her).

However both of our posts prove a solid point, Siri and the whole ecosystem surrounding it is inconsisent and what works for one is a disaster for others and despite my positive experiences I couldn't confidently recommend the set up to another.

Comment

orbital~debris

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
I ordered a single white HomePod mini, with the expectation to order another one or two later if it meets expectations.

I am curious about the light interface (display?) on these new HomePod – Apple’s product photography suggests the white model uses a slightly different set of colours to the space grey model (oranges & pinks, vs. no
orange but more blues & greens, respectively).

This partially influenced my choice of colourway (not that I’ll mind if it turns out they’re the same).

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.