Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pre-orders for the Apple Vision Pro begin tomorrow, and if you're planning to use the headset's lossless audio feature you'll need to be sure you have the AirPods Pro 2 with USB-C. Luckily, these earbuds are still at their lowest price of all time on Amazon at $189.00, down from $249.00.

airpods-vision-pro.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

The headlining feature update on this version of the AirPods Pro is the addition of the USB-C port, replacing the Lightning port. Additionally, they feature improved dust resistance and, when paired with the Apple Vision Pro, they support 20-bit 48kHz lossless audio.

Keep up with all of this week's best discounts on Apple products and related accessories in our dedicated Apple Deals roundup.

Article Link: Pre-Ordering the Apple Vision Pro? Get AirPods Pro 2 With USB-C for $189 to Add Lossless Audio

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
lossless over bluetooth? lol. do people really think they're getting true lossless over pro 2's?

yes they support it but if you stream lossless audio codecs over bluetooth it isn't true lossless. until bluetooth improves you will need wired ear/headphones. remember not even the Airpod Max supports lossless and that has wired connection.

even when we can listen to lossless then most people won't even be able to tell the difference. it's all marketing crap.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
even when we can listen to lossless then most people won't even be able to tell the difference. it's all marketing crap.

Now you've done it. You've poked the Perceived Audio Excellence Self-Anointed Cognoscenti™ crowd. Within minutes, they will descend upon this thread to present their it's-absolutely-not-placebo declarations that Lossless Audio clearly offers sound with greater "warmth," "tonality," "clarity," and "a sound stage featuring a far more unctuous and lubricated presence."

We are but rubes tucked away in the cold recess of some prehistoric cave, banging on the walls with a stick for our music.

AstroKeith

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
lossless over bluetooth? lol. do people really think they're getting true lossless over pro 2's?

yes they support it but if you stream lossless audio codecs over bluetooth it isn't true lossless. until bluetooth improves you will need wired ear/headphones. remember not even the Airpod Max supports lossless and that has wired connection.

Its not a bluetooth connection between the Apple Vision Pro and the AirPods Pro2.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011

The new AirPod Pros 2 (Updated for Apple Vision Pro) don't use a blue tooth connection, they use a 5Ghz connection to communicate, that's why you need the new version of the AirPods Pro 2, and the originals won't give you lossless, and the new version probably won't give you lossless with anything else other than the AVP.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
The new AirPod Pros 2 (Updated for Apple Vision Pro) don't use a blue tooth connection, they use a 5Ghz connection to communicate, that's why you need the new version of the AirPods Pro 2, and the originals won't give you lossless, and the new version probably won't give you lossless with anything else other than the AVP.

Higher bit rate but the trade off is WiFi latency.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The Vision Pro has speakers built in. I had to check - this "article" makes it sound like it doesn't.

I am as unimpressed with Vision Pro as anyone, but it's not so bad as to not have speakers included.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

M1956

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2021
i actually did a blind test of it when apple added lossless to music using a pair of Shure se215 with ipad air 2. Quite a few people could feel the difference and correctly tell them apart. I am sure with better equipment the difference would be even more noticeable. Not sure how much airpods pros specifically are held back by lossy codec, but to claim that lossless makes no difference would entail that our current headphones reached the limit of human perception and we would not distinguish them from real instruments. This is obviously not true.

AstroKeith

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
Then what is it?
No doubt a unique solution developed by Apple. Not that difficult. Using 5GHz as the carrier so plenty of bandwidth. They have no need to include all the bluetooth protocols so have freedom to optimise for high bandwidth audio. I'd expect to see this used on their future products.

I have a wireless Bose cinema system that does something similar. Each receiving component (rear speakers, sub) needs to be in sync with the front speaker soundbar within about 1-5 microseconds to ensure relative phasing is maintained.

In this case, no doubt also that the audio channel would need to be delayed anyway to not get ahead of a lot of video processing.

spaxxedout

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2018

From what I’m gathering, it’s a sample for sample accurate bitstream of the source audio. It’s not even lossless compression. Someone on YouTube said that it’s an uncompressed bitstream. Packeting would add latency.

At any rate, we need more info on this protocol asap. To me it’s as big as the Vision Pro. I get that lossless vs compressed is moot for most listening purposes and applications, but a low latency lossless enables music production and mixing at the buffer level. Opens new realm of possibilities to produce for spatial. I get that it won’t be available for Mac, but hopefully soon or maybe it gets reverse engineered. I would think the only way to scramble an uncompressed bitstream would be to have a lookup table for each bit, but that’s all way over my head.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
There is no such thing as true lossless audio through bluetooth. 95% of people probably don't even know this.
And something you possibly didn’t know is that it wouldn’t be delivering lossless audio via Bluetooth. Is your mind blown yet? To learn more, read this very thread you’ve posted in. And maybe do some additional research beyond that, if you’re interested.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
It's crazy that the day before the pre-orders no one has any idea what configurations will be available. Maybe...there is only 1 model....the 256 storage.

Headphones are tempting but I can live without true lossless.

carrrrrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
PNW
While I’m not super surprised how far Apple has shifted from being focused on delivering 'magic' to simply 'products' it would be a nice throwback to have them deliver a complete 'AppleVision' experience that included truly immersive audio. With their limited run on these and the absurb price point (this is the same company that sold us ceramic and gold case watches with a 12 mo half-life), they are heavily relying on a fanbase that has or will also buy Apple headphones to complete the system. Sure the original iPhones came w/ wired headphones - a fantastic play to get us to eventually buy their AirPods, but why not simply integrate the AirPods Max into the Vision, seems like a miss for someone who is already going to spend $3.5k on a toy.

Wizard_of_Woz

Suspended
Nov 15, 2023
And something you possibly didn’t know is that it wouldn’t be delivering lossless audio via Bluetooth. Is your mind blown yet? To learn more, read this very thread you’ve posted in. And maybe do some additional research beyond that, if you’re interested.
"Pre-orders for the Apple Vision Pro begin tomorrow, and if you're planning to use the headset's lossless audio feature you'll need to be sure you have the AirPods Pro 2 with USB-C"

Please explain to me how you intend to hardwire AirPods Pro 2 to get lossless.

• Sad
Reactions: G5isAlive
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.