Preacher (AMC spoilers)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, May 22, 2016.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Well, I never read the comic- it's visual, violent, apocalyptic, kinda strange and interesting including a preacher, a vampire, and possibly a demon. Tom Cruise is reported to spontaneously explode at the Church of Scientology. I'm sure this will turn off some viewers and delight others. ;) There's a fight in a moving vehicle which got my attention. Noncommittal, but I'll watch the next episode... Impressions anyone?

[​IMG]

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

It lasted past my bedtime, so I recorded it. So many of my other shows are off for the season, I should have plenty of empty air time to fill this week.

3. Huntn, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

The fight in the car with Tulip was gritty exhilarating. Preacher's fight with the local bully and his buddies in the bar was pretty good too. The incident on the airplane with the Irish vampire bartender (Cassidy), my impression this was a setup for vampire hunters to get him, and that fight reminded me a lot of the manic fighting in Kingsman Secret Service.

[​IMG]

4. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

I like it so far. I went in not knowing anything about the premise of the show.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

@Huntn .... Do yourself a favor, read the comics! They are outstanding. Only comic series thus far that I have read twice now. They are that good. There has been a slight turn from the books from the opener, but there are some really good nuggets that have come through. The comic series is over, has been for quite sometime, but man is it freaking weird, funny, gritty, completely anti-religion, pro-religion, and anything else in between. Oh, and there is pretty much a boat load of sex (with everything) and violence that runs rampant throughout the series.

I am hooked and can't wait to see what they do with the series. The producers have already stated they are going to deviate from the books, because there are just some items they "can't" bring to the screen.

6. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I'll look for the graphic novel! :)

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Yup... they are out there. I believe they are in their 9th printing or something along those lines. Grab the first one and give it a read and let me/us know what you think.

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I found the complete collection for Kindle at Amazon, but have decided that it will be better to absorb the show first (since it's on), and maybe read the comic later.

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Fair enough, but there is a difference in the two so far.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

11. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

So far so good. I have not read the comic books, can someone enlighten me on why Odin Quincannon did what he did (even after Jessie used his influence on him)?

12. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The beginning last week in the old west was completely off the wall for me. No clue how they tie together.

13. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I don't know how close they will follow the story lines for this character but you can read about him here. Be warned there may be some spoilers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saint_of_Killers

In the books, he is a pretty cool/bad character.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 29, 2016 ---
    This character so far is a little different that what is in the books. We actually don't see really till later on in the comic book series. They haven't touched upon his backstory really and in the books, if I remember correctly, Jesse doesn't use his influence on him. There is also a pretty shocking scene in the books, that will be interesting to see if they incorporate it into his story line.

14. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

The whole hotel/motel scene at the beginning of this weeks episode was pretty good! Both me and the wife were chuckling when we watched it.

15. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

That scene had me rolling. And the bodies just kept piling up.

Of course, the Angels have me laughing anyway. Other than being vicious killers, they are quite the comedy relief.

16. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

I love that Cassidy keeps referring to them as clone people.

17. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I got about 5 episodes behind and am now catching up, on Episode 4. It's grabbed me. Cassidy is my favorite character! :)

18. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Caught up, looking forward to tonight's episode. The first episode has a steep acclimation curve, but once beyond that, the story about a demon on the loose, and angels trying to apprehend it starts to make sense. :)

19. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

He is also my favorite character both in the books and the TV Show. In the books they do his backstory which is really good and I hope they do that here also.

20. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

They are doing someone's back story in the show, either Custer's or the town's?

21. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I knew something was up when Tulip got the dog! At least she appeared to feel bad about it. And she is taking good care of Cassidy. I can't believe Jessie just left him to burn in the sun.

22. Mac'nCheese, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016

Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

My original post here is wrong.
    Well, we found out the answer to that in this week's episode. What a great show!

23. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I have that to watch. :)

24. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

In anticipating the season finale tonight, watched last Sunday's episode. I am firmly hooked on this story. Hopefully next season will be longer. Question about Hell, is this an endless loop, one person's Hell or multiple people? Anyone know?

25. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Tonight is the season finale?!?! No!!!!!!!!!!!

If I'd wanted to be bummed out, I'd have such to reading only the threads in PRSI.