Preorder 3GS Delivery Date?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BulkHedd, Jun 8, 2009.

1. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I went to the online Apple Store and looked at the info on the 3GS iPhone. It says pre-order today and get it on June 19th (free shipping). I went ahead and pre-ordered one and the order confirmation page says:
    Estimated ship: Delivers by June 19th. (I printed it out)

But when I got the confirmation e-mail it says:
    Ships: June 19th
    Delivers: June 24th

What's up with that??

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What shipping method did you choose.

June 19th is a friday so you'll get it the following week.

Why not wait in line at an apple store like the other lemmings and get it on the 19th if you're that anxious.

3. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

i'm getting that message too.

first it said it delivers on the 19th, and now it's saying arrival is the 24th.

i'm on hold with apple shipping at the moment, and will update when i am off the phone. hopefully that is just a generic message.

m

4. webjeff macrumors member

Mine says the same thing, I was dooped!

I'm on the phone waiting (as I'm sure a lot of ppl are). I will change it to overnight or pickup if it actually is shipped on the 19th.

J.

5. webjeff macrumors member

Anyone get any updates? I just called and they told me it would get here on the 24th, so I had them overnight it and they said would be here on the 22nd (eep). Maybe I'll change to go pick it up.

Anyone else hear the same thing?

6. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I guess the question is weather the stores will have a large supply or not. If you think they will then get it at the store, if not order online for 24th delivery date.

7. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I don't have an Apple store near me and I don't want to wait in line at all.
    I preordered it because the Apple Store said (still says) "Pre-order now and get it June 19. Free shipping."

webjeff, did you ask they why the site says delivery on the 19th??

8. webjeff macrumors member

Bulk:

No I didn't. However, the lady was just reading her screen as she told me "my screen says it will deliver on the 24th". So, she might not know that's an error or whatever. I'm still confused, interesting thing though....

I had her change shipping to overnight and she said it was no extra cost, the site would have charged me 16 bucks for that. So, that might be a good indication that it might show up on the 19th since it's 0 charge for normal vs overnight shipping.

Not sure, but now the site says:
    Ships: Jun 19
    Delivers: Jun 22

Again, I wish someone would clarify if it will arrive on the 19th.

Jeff.

9. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

I chose not to go to the store and pick it up because the Apple Online store said that it DELIVERS on the 19th. I leave for Europe that Sunday, so I really hope that it comes when they said that it would!

10. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

I agree with you I fly out of town on Sat too!

11. Noelmel macrumors regular

it still says on the site "delivers on the 19th" thats false advertising then. my printout says the 19th and i havent gotten my emial yet (its been on hour)!

12. redman042 macrumors 68020

You guys are right, there's a serious discrepancy here.

I say let this marinate a day or two, and I bet they will straighten it out.

They clearly said "Free Shipping, Delivers No Later than June 19" when I ordered it.

I was actually hoping it might arrive on the 18th, since I'm leaving for a road trip early on the 19th.

13. Claypidgeon macrumors member

I'm thinking it's an error that it says the 24th. You can still go to http://www.apple.com/iphone/buy/ and see clearly where it says "Pre-order an iPhone 3G S from the Apple Online Store and it will arrive on June 19 with free shipping." It doesn't get more explicit than that. Probably an issue with their ordering status system.

For those folks switching to pick-up at an Apple store, note the fine print "Pre-authorization does not guarantee iPhone availability at an Apple Retail Store. iPhone is sold on a first-come, first-served basis."

14. manueld macrumors 6502

I got off the phone with Apple Store Support and she said that she saw that my ship date was the 19th and that the delivery was expected to be the 24th. I explicitly told her that during the whole process, it showed that the estimated delivery date was the 17th. She bumped me up to next day delivery at no cost (very nice of her) but I still wouldn't get it till Monday.

I'm gonna hold off on canceling my order till probably around tuesday next week to see if they've either fixed the issue as to if they're actually going to deliver the phone on friday. If not, I'll just cancel it and pick one up at the store on wednesday.

15. edge540 macrumors regular

edge540

They do this all the time for pre-orders. I remember for when the new versions of OS X are available for pre order they deliver them the day it goes on sale. Im sure they will ship the phones out early and get to your place on the 19th, no matter what method you choose.

16. gsxr370 macrumors member

i like how if you preorder to pickup at the store it says "not guaranteed at store, first come first serve basis" Why preorder then??

17. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

It was that statement that convinced me to just order it online for delivery.

18. Noelmel macrumors regular

i finally just got my confirmation email (2 hours later)

it still says "delivers june 19th" maybe they fixed it? cuz everyone else said their emails said the 24th

p.s. i choose the free 5 day shipping

19. mikey28 macrumors 6502

I ordered on-line. Remember last year when it took soooo long to in-store activate the phones???

20. Noelmel macrumors regular

since we ordered online can we activate it ourselves at home in itunes or do we still have to go to the store?

i ported my number do they have to finish that process at the store?

21. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Just ordered mine online. Beats driving an hour and 15 minutes and missing work to stand in line and not get one. Instead they'll deliver it to my work. There's an ATT retailer right down the street, but they don't sell the iPhone. They can still activate it though. Woohoo. Even if it comes a day or two late, it's worth the time saved.

22. Goldcard macrumors regular

Yea, I'd like an answer to this question as well.

Also, anyone clear up the shipping confusion yet? I definitely need to receive mine on the 19th as I am leaving the country that weekend! Ahhh!

23. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

The same thing has happened with past OS X preorders. Apple advertises "free shipping and delivered by [release date]", while their store claims delivery at a later date, but it still gets delivered on the claimed release date. I've always gotten my Apple pre-orders on time. Of course there could be overwhelming demand for the 3GS causing low stock and delayed shipments or the delivery companies could become overloaded with packages to deliver and unable to get them all.

24. bigchief macrumors 6502a

I'm just wondering if WalMart will have the new 3G S on sale the 19th?

25. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

So this is take two...

I had to hang up after 30 minutes of sitting on hold to ask about the 24th arrival date. Now, I've been on the phone on hold for over 1 hour and 15 minutes... still just waiting.

Anyone know an Apple phone number where I won't have to wait this long to ask about my arrival date?

mark