Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakobbg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Goal: I want to be able to press the Touch ID button on my keyboard to get my new Mac Mini M2 to launch the screensaver and lock the Mac, but not turn off the screen. Now it only shows the aerial video for a few seconds before turning off the screen. I want to show the screensaver to be running until the "Turn off screen after inactivity" in Lock screen settings to be reached (currently configured to 1 hour).

My OS: Sonoma 14.2 Public Beta 3.

Screenshot of my "Locked screen" settings (sorry for the Norwegian).

I actually believe the same problem is present on my MacBook Air M2 as well.

All help is appreciated!

1701083723657.png

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I want to show the screensaver to be running until the "Turn off screen after inactivity" in Lock screen settings to be reached...
I think the easiest way to do that is to set up a Hot Corner for the screensaver. Mine is set to the top right.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I don’t think this is as much a “problem” as it is the Mac behaving as designed. If I understand correctly you want the Touch ID button to perform the same function as Control-Command-Q, correct?

I’m not aware of a way to configure that; maybe someone will chime in with a solution. If not, Apple.com/feedback.

Binary007

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2022
I was exactly in the same boat as the OP. Actually, when you press the Touch ID for the first time, it will take you to the lock screen but will suddenly turn off the screen rather than respecting the time duration set up by us under the "Turn off screen after inactivity" option.

However, upon waking up the screen and then re-locking it again via the Touch ID, this time it follows that time duration.

But I found the fix for that as well, thanks @FreakinEurekan. If you use the Control-Command-Q shortcut to lock the screen then it will straightaway follow the time set under the "Turn off screen after inactivity" option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.