Prince Harry and Oprah Partnering on Apple TV+ Documentary Due to Launch in 2020

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 10, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Britain's Prince Harry has revealed that he is working with Oprah Winfrey on a documentary series for Apple TV+ about mental health, due for launch sometime next year.

[​IMG]

The Prince, also known as the Duke of Sussex, announced the partnership on his official Instagram account. The multi-part series is being co-created and executive produced by the Prince and Winfrey and has already been in development for several months.
    Oprah appeared during Apple's services-focused March event, where she announced two documentaries coming to Apple TV+ that would focus on sexual harassment and mental health themes, but the host made no mention of the latter series' connection with royalty.

Prince Harry has vigorously campaigned about mental health and spurred several initiatives in recent years to improve openness and support for sufferers. The Prince has also spoken candidly about his own personal experiences and struggles, particularly with regards to how the death of his mother, Princess Diana, affected both him and his brother, William.

Apple TV+, coming this fall in over 100 countries, will be an ad-free, subscription based service, with Apple's original shows and movies available via Apple TV+ in the new Apple TV app.

Article Link: Prince Harry and Oprah Partnering on Apple TV+ Documentary Due to Launch in 2020

2. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

... which he was recently gifted by Instagram after they stole it from an existing user, whose username was changed to "_sussexroyal_" without his permission.

3. jonplackett macrumors newbie

I just can’t see apple making a TV show I want to watch.

Would they have made Breaking Bad? Too much drugs and violence. Game of Thrones? Too much death and nudity. Handmaid’s Tale? Too political I’d guess.

Everything I’ve seen so far just looks so wholesome and inoffensive.

4. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

I expect this project will garner some snark on this thread. But I hope it has some success dragging the subject matter into the current century and initiating a forward momentum on progress. I've seen so much suffering go improperly addressed because our system is really broken when it comes to getting people help they need.

5. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

6. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

I’m all for anything that promotes and offers support and insight into dealing with, and enlightening others about mental health. Good use of the platform.

7. tridley68 macrumors 6502a

tridley68

This will surly be a huge bust for the young prince

8. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Lol, you say that like it's a bad thing.

9. orbital~debris, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019

orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

OK I’ll bite: what’s the story here (or are you trolling)?

10. TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502a

TheShadowKnows!

Dude, I have never watched Oprah. I do not know what she says or does. I would not know if she speaks the truth or just tells "porkies", and always lies.

But, dude, do you always tell the "truth"? And never lie? If so, you are blessed.
    [Dan, who was born in 1997, is a miracle of creation!/s]

11. Classie macrumors regular

Well... I’ll promise to watch at least one episode before making up my mind

12. freddiebarnes macrumors member

freddiebarnes

I don’t know who, other than Boomers who give a hoot about Oprah. She peaked in the early 90s and it’s been all down hill from there.

13. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

14. headlessmike macrumors newbie

headlessmike

I’m waiting for the Foundation series based on Isaac Asimov’s books. Apple signed the rights for a mini series last August.

15. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Wow I am as uninterested as i was when the media was having wall-to-wall coverage fawning over the Royal Wedding.

Great curation, Apple team! I will be curating my schedule such that it doesn't include being subjected to this vapidness, on both my dime and time.

16. Zimmy68 macrumors 68000

Zimmy68

Hmmm, a vanity project for Oprah where she is paid millions to just put her name on it...

When can I sign up for this service? $10 a month would be a steal!

17. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Cmon you gotta dig some of those whacky hats

18. xalea macrumors regular

xalea

What exactly is an Apple documentary on mental health going to accomplish? The greatest need for mental health services is for the homeless and those in poverty, on a local level. This is yet another "make me feel good about myself" kinda thing that serves no real purpose.

19. Biu_miu macrumors member

It seems, mental health is all the rage in 2019- cancer awareness is out of the mainstream spotlight, let’s see, what will knock this one from throne in 5-8 years. I will therefore protect my mental health by avoiding lectures from old people celebrities on currently trending mainstream topics. Like, what credibility do these two randos have when it comes to this topic? Why would I listen to prince (?) and a chick, that adverised spanx and kitchen knifes. Wtf, it really, REALLY seems, that some one from Apple just Googled “Top 10 celebreties” and then called, asking if they will do some random TV special...

20. ThisIsARealityCheck, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2019

ThisIsARealityCheck macrumors newbie

All great shows you mentioned! But not all great shows feature that level of violence or sexual content. They aren’t a prerequisite for great storytelling, acting etc

21. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

22. WalterTizzano macrumors 6502

WalterTizzano

It is.great shows always have politics, sex, violence or a combination of the above. If you remove all the above you’ll end up with some thing that’s might appeal young children but will probably bore adults to death.

23. newyorksole macrumors 68040

Everyone lies. You shouldn’t watch anything then.

24. 2010mini macrumors 68040

The market for G rated content is larger than the one for R rated.

25. rmoliv macrumors 6502a