Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shabbis

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2008
Many of the reviewers are comparing the 6+ to the Note 4 and are wondering why the iPhone has such massive bezels with a 5.5" screen and is still larger than the Note 4 which has a 5.7" screen. Just seems the AIG (Apple Industrial Group) could have found a way to keep the 5.5" screen and shorten the bezels to save some millimeters top and bottom. I can see why maybe Apple stuck with the same front design, that overall look is what identifies it as an iPhone.

I still haven't decided which 6 model will replace my 5. I will probably head over to my local Apple Store next week to see both in person and then purchase sometime in November or December once the dust settles. My iPhone 5 was on the battery recall program, now it feels like a new phone, so I am in no hurry to upgrade.

Vihzel

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
I suspect there is going to be a lot of returns for the iPhone 6 Plus once people get their actual hands onto it. I'm not saying all... I'm just saying a lot because the vast majority of people are not accustomed to such a huge phone size as it is much more of a niche market. Hell... it's even larger than the LG G3 and Samsung Note 4 and those are the biggest of big phones or "phablets". The size of an iPhone 6 currently fits best with the likes of Samsung Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8, which is the sweet spot for big phones.

nin7474

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2009
It seems with all the trash talking that has been thrown around this forum that to hear that the 6 Plus is a not superior phone " in all ways" doesn't sit well with folks who chose that as their phone. If all the reviewers stated that the iPhone 6 was an inferior phone then all would be well correct? And all the people who purchased the smaller 6 would get what they deserve and a big "told ya so"!!!

Where was it ever stated that EVERYONE wanted a tablet size phone? When I read a review I'm interested in hearing how the phone works in everyday life. Is the size practical? I do still talk on my phone. For those who don't talk much the 6 Plus is a great choice. Bottom line is we have choices now. And both are excellent choices based on your use. Seems like the OP just wanted to say We Win!!!!

Very true. Basically the OP sounds b*tthurt. He wanted justification on making the "right" buy.

----------

But the size of a laptop does play into its review. The form of an object is equally important as its function, especially when it is something that you carry around with you everywhere.

The fact is that a lot of people are used to using their iPhone one handed (And maybe don't even realize it) and most of them won't be able to do the same on the 6+. Not mentioning the size would be like saying that a Honda Civic and Accord are essentially the same car and not mention the interior space or different handling.

Good example.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
I love how you all are trying to make yourselves feel better when you are really regretting purchasing the 6 Plus. Between the delays in shipping being longer and longer, and pretty much all the reviews I read knocking it left and right, I don't blame you for trying to justify a mistake purchase. So happy I went with the 6!

Can't 6 and 6 plus buyers just get along? I know I'll be happy with the plus and won't regret not getting the 6.

Vihzel

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
it's the iPhone 6 people that are angry and maybe jealous that they didn't get the plus?

Not at all. lol The reviews coming in provide a lot of support that iPhone 6 buyers have made the right decision. iPhone 6 Plus is technically a better phone, but in real world usage, iPhone 6 is better.

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
Right... if I'm looking for a phablet, should I ding the 6 for being too small for that category?

I'm looking for a big a** iPhone lol.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Not at all. lol The reviews coming seem to provide a lot of support that iPhone 6 buyers have made the right decision. iPhone 6 Plus is technically a better phone, but in real world usage, iPhone 6 is better.

the people reviewing are ones that like small screen smartphones....so what do you think the outcome is gonna be

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I think when people have high expectations of something and they are excited about buying it then a "professional reviewer" comes along and shoots down the product it can cause some frustration. I'm sure you understand that?

Eh, not really, and I certainly wouldn't go so far as to start calling people who disagree with me or have a different perspective morons. I knew what I wanted before I bought the 6+, warts and all, and I don't delude myself into thinking that it is the perfect device that does no wrong. I can see plainly that it's kind of ridiculously tall for the size of the screen because of the bezels, I just decided that it wasn't a dealbreaker for me. I can tolerate reviewers pointing it out and deducting a point for it.

I mean, let's be honest here: the reviews of both phones have been overwhelmingly positive. What is there to really be upset about here?

pish6969

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
why does someone have to tell me what i need in a device? I RARELY make phone calls...same with all my friends. We text/email/facebook etc. Browsing the net, texting, watching videos, listening to music are main things i do on my device. Calls are rarely made. So i'm gonna base my phone on size bc of the 5% of time I actually use it to make calls?

I'm not telling anyone what to get..based on what you use it for the 6+ will be awesome..great screen, awesome camera with the OIS, excellent battery, etc. You are not going to be uncomfortable with the size since you are rarely holding it to your head.

I was just stating that the reviewers were mainly talking about the people that use their phones as phones more than you do. In that scenario, I think their opinions are a valued point, since it will affect the useablity for some. The purpose of the reviews are so that people can see what others are saying before purchasing. Anything negative a reviewer says may not affect you, and then you can throw that out, but if it does affect you, you need to reconsider your purchase and deem if you can live with it or not

DravenGSX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
skinnys jeans or extremely tight jeans...all the same

If the implication here is that I'm fat, you do realize they make jeans in different sizes right? Even ones that fit fat people. I'm also trying to understand what this has to do with anything?

Vihzel

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
the people reviewing are ones that like small screen smartphones....so what do you think the outcome is gonna be

That's an odd thing to say considering they all have praised Apple for going larger screen size. If they only liked small screen phones, they'd be bashing Apple for going up from the 4" screen.

xLoGiK1

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
I love how you all are trying to make yourselves feel better when you are really regretting purchasing the 6 Plus. Between the delays in shipping being longer and longer, and pretty much all the reviews I read knocking it left and right, I don't blame you for trying to justify a mistake purchase. So happy I went with the 6!

Good for you, glad you went with the 6. Honestly 3 months from now it's not going to matter how fast every one got their phone. So who cares. I don't mind waiting and standing by for my 6+.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I suspect there is going to be a lot of returns for the iPhone 6 Plus once people get their actual hands onto it. I'm not saying all... I'm just saying a lot because the vast majority of people are not accustomed to such a huge phone size as it is much more of a niche market.

And the same will happen with the iPhone 6 4.7". People will be returning it for the 6 Plus realizing it wasn't as big as they though it would be. It's push pull.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
I'm not telling anyone what to get..based on what you use it for the 6+ will be awesome..great screen, awesome camera with the OIS, excellent battery, etc. You are not going to be uncomfortable with the size since you are rarely holding it to your head.

I was just stating that the reviewers were mainly talking about the people that use their phones as phones more than you do. In that scenario, I think their opinions are a valued point, since it will affect the useablity for some. The purpose of the reviews are so that people can see what others are saying before purchasing. Anything negative a reviewer says may not affect you, and then you can throw that out, but if it does affect you, you need to reconsider your purchase and deem if you can live with it or not

but shouldn't it be common sense that a 5.5 inch phone is HUGE if you are worried about using it as a phone? It's like comparing a family sedan to a Chevy Suburban and being like the suburban is just a giant. Well duh....just a take a look at it.

It took my wife 2 seconds to say she wanted the iPhone 6 and not the 6+. The 6+ was huge and she didn't want something that big. Did she have to sit down and watch a review and get the opinion of some random guy on the internet saying the bigger phone is terrible bc of size?

common sense can go along way....sometimes ;)

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
Every reviewer is scoring the 6+ negatively for size reasons. Do they ding the 15" MBP because it fits in fewer backpacks vs. the 13"?

They should review the phone not the form and let consumers pick what works for them given budget, usage, etc.

This is the first time Apple has given users a choice and I think the reviewers aren't quite sure how to handle it.

Vihzel

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
And the same will happen with the iPhone 6 4.7". People will be returning it for the 6 Plus realizing it wasn't as big as they though it would be. It's push pull.

Pretty sure there will be far less of those than there will be vice versa. ;)

After reading current reviews and I'm sure future reviews will say the same thing, I'm so glad I went iPhone 6 and not 6 Plus. You guys should be happy with your 6 Plus purchase too. Don't let some reviews ruffle your feathers. :D

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
That's an odd thing to say considering they all have praised Apple for going larger screen size. If they only liked small screen phones, they'd be bashing Apple for going up from the 4" screen.

so they praise apple...then say OMG this phone is huge? bc that makes a lot of sense. people whined like crazy when apple jumped from 3.5 to 4

----------

If the implication here is that I'm fat, you do realize they make jeans in different sizes right? Even ones that fit fat people. I'm also trying to understand what this has to do with anything?

not implying that. but i've seen so many posts of people hating on the 6+ bc they can't fit it in their jeans pockets. just joking around ;)

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Think the reason for the negatives is that Apple could've shrunk their bezels. Its taller than a Note 4 which cramps in 5.7" and is significantly bigger than the G3.

pish6969

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
but shouldn't it be common sense that a 5.5 inch phone is HUGE if you are worried about using it as a phone? It's like comparing a family sedan to a Chevy Suburban and being like the suburban is just a giant. Well duh....just a take a look at it.

It took my wife 2 seconds to say she wanted the iPhone 6 and not the 6+. The 6+ was huge and she didn't want something that big. Did she have to sit down and watch a review and get the opinion of some random guy on the internet saying the bigger phone is terrible bc of size?

common sense can go along way....sometimes ;)

It's not as common sense as you are making it. I'm not a phone designer or claim to be one, but from what I'm reading, the other big phones out there feel better than the 6+ as far as useability/portability. The Note 3 has the same 5.5 but feels easier to use per the reviews..just cause the screen is the same size it doesn't mean the phone will feel the same while using it.

I think it was dinged a little bit due to them comparing it to the other larger phones out there..

----------

Think the reason for the negatives is that Apple could've shrunk their bezels. Its taller than a Note 4 which cramps in 5.7" and is significantly bigger than the G3.

Agreed

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
i guess size matters

Attachments

• 2046.jpg
    2046.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 64
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.