ProClip iPhone 6 Plus Car Mount

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by a3silver, Sep 21, 2014.

1. a3silver, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

a3silver macrumors member

I've been using ProClip iPhone docks in my car since the iPhone 4, they work great for me and have a nice clean look in my A3. It's a two part system (vehicle specific mounts + device specific holders).

It looks like they will not have 6 Plus docks for some time, I went with the Large Universal Adjustable T1 (http://www.proclipusa.com/mobile-de...proclip-holder-t1-246807.cmsv?p_leftorright=0) - I'm happy with the results, it'll work until they have an adjustable docking version. They have preorders open now for mounts that only work with a bare phone - not with a case..

Pics: My 5S in the iPhone 5 adjustable docking mount / the 6 Plus in the universal mount / two shots of the universal mount

Attached Files:

2. Lyn2012 macrumors regular

Please can you tell me what the difference might be between this universal mount and the passive 6+ mount adjustable for phone in case? When it is available of course. Thanks.

3. bigcat macrumors 6502

They also have preorders for the 6+ with-case mounts. I do have the same question though, what would be the difference between the universal mount and the case mount (which basically is the device edition with adjustments)

4. Lyn2012 macrumors regular

I've had a reply from Brodit that the difference between the soon to be released adjustable mount for iPhone 6 Plus with case/skin and the OP universal adjustable mount is that the new mount will have the internal grooves contoured to exactly hold the new iPhone. This will also apply to the new iPhone 6 mount.

5. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Proclip is the best and only solution imo. Ive tried the airframe, the mountek cd thing, but nothing compares. Its the most expensive but i have never had one problem with it. Im undecided on a case so i may go for the universal. OP how is the fit of the 6+ in that unit? Thanks

6. bigcat macrumors 6502

I'm also interested in seeing how the universal one fits. Who knows there could be a bigger (or smaller) phone next year. I've use proclip since iPhone 1 and I agree they are the best.

7. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

How is that attached? Hard to tell from the pics...is it wedged between sections of the dash/console?

8. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

9. F150Blue macrumors newbie

There is an additional part you have to get. ProClip is sold as a 2-part system. You select you car (various mounting locations in each vehicle sometimes) then you select your phone model. They have for all phones, with cases or without. I have found that the adjustable works best for all case/phone scenarios.

FYI - I have a model that will work with the 6. I am ordering this one as I am awaiting my 6+ (which my current one will not fit). I have this one if someone wants it for $25 including shipping.

http://www.proclipusa.com/store/products/adjustable-holder-for-small-to-medium-cases.-511428.aspx

It will NOT FIT THE PLUS. Just the New iPhone 6 and below.

10. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

11. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

Expensive, but worth it. It's an elegant solution that doesn't block a/c vents, window viewing, etc. I've been using their holders for years and am very satisfied. My only complaint is sometimes the swivel comes loose and you have to re-tighten the holster. I keep a small screwdriver in my car for that reason.

12. bigcat macrumors 6502

Mounts are specific to your vehicle. You enter what car you have and they tell you what they have for you. They may have more than one option for your car, so you pick the most convenient. For example, for my 4Runner they have one that could be mounted on the vent to the right of the steering wheel, and another one that is mounted down and to the right without obstructing any of the vents. Every car has different sweet spots and they design for that. They provide instructions. No screws or anything like that for the mount so you won't damage your dash. The device holder, which is sold separate from the mount, attaches to the mount with a couple of screws.

13. jeblis macrumors regular

I preordered an iphone 6 mount from them, but I'll use an airframe+ until it arrives. The airframe is great for travel.

14. joefrank64k, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014

joefrank64k macrumors 6502

joefrank64k

OP, thanks for posting pics of your install!

I'm waiting for my 6+, and have been looking for a mount for my Smart fortwo electric drive. The ProClip looked like a winner, and after seeing it in your A3, I'm sold.

I just hope the 6+ will fit inside my smart..my wife says I might have to get a roof rack instead! :D

ETA: I used the code SAVETEN and got 10% off my order. YMMV, etc.

15. Lyn2012 macrumors regular

That's exactly what I'm doing for my 6 Plus.

16. icw70 macrumors newbie

icw70

I just did a chat with a ProClip rep and I guess the mount for iPhone 6 plus with case will not adjust to fit one without a case. They recommended this. Pricey but actually really cool.

ProClip Universal iOauto Mount

Might do it.

17. blehargh macrumors newbie

lighting to 30pin.

@a3sliver - for your iPhone 5 proclip mount - is the bottom section removeable? the part the actually holds your lightning to USB cable in?

i want to swap that piece from a Proclip iphone 5 mount to a Proclip iPhone 6 mount, since they aren't making iPhone 6 mounts with the cable pass thru like you have on your iphone 5 mount.

I'm wondering if that is even possible or not? Can the plastic piece be unscrewed from the proclip assembly?

18. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I agree it looks like a nice solution but I still think it's expensive (I priced it for my main car - $70!) and I have multiple cars so it's not a mount I can move from car to car easily. I'm certainly not buying four of them.

I'll keep it on my wishlist for now...

19. bmms8 macrumors 68020

If anyone is interested in the iPhone 4/4S (fits 5/5S without a case pretty much perfect) mount I'm willing to sell mine for $15 shipped. Then all you'll need will be the car mount for your specific car. Its in great shape and i swear by proclip!

20. iregret macrumors 6502a

Hey man, I love ProClip mounts! They are overpriced, but good mounts! I'm disappointed to hear that my current setup wont work with the iPhone 6 I ordered. :( I have the same mount as the one in the picture.

I've been searching around for case suggestions and found something a bit interesting.

Check it out:

http://www.studioproper.com/pages/iphone-6-cases

[​IMG]

What's interesting is the mount design these cases have:

http://www.studioproper.com/products/magnetic-mount-disks

[​IMG]

So, what I decided to try, was to order those magnetic mounts and then take apart my current setup, stick on the magnet mount and see how well it works. I think it'll be neat because it'll just sorta float there.

Thoughts?

21. mademan118 macrumors regular

Wow I really want that case above. Or I wish I could somehow use my Apple leather case with it

22. fperkins macrumors newbie

Mod Proclip 5 for iPhone 6

I love my Proclip 5, but I'm not ready to shell out another 90 dollars because my 6 is slightly wider.

What I did was take mine apart and remove the slider in the middle (see pic). Now this will make it so the two sides are not connected, but I found when I screwed down the front again, there was enough tension for it to hold fine. Worse case scenario might involve a little gorilla tape to secure it, but it's working fine for me.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

23. iregret macrumors 6502a

Oh man, awesome! This is my next step when my iPhone 6+ gets here. I was hoping I could widen them to accept my larger phone until I the magnetic case shows up.

Then I'll take it apart and remove the sides and stick that magnetic thing on there.

24. cable0guy macrumors newbie

That is awesome. # Going to do that too. I might try dremel/sand that piece to make it fit first though.