(PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 Plus Gets Black Front in New Part Swap Video

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Was the black on red iPod nano un-Apple like?
Yep.

Do you not agree that both of those products would look FAR more at home here than on Apple's website?

https://www.google.com/search?q=alienware&rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS603US604&hl=en-US&prmd=sniv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjGrc-uqfLSAhUM9IMKHdfKA98Q_AUICSgD&biw=375&bih=591&dpr=2

The black on red looks really freaking classy and high-end.
And I repeat: I DON'T think the red/black phone looks bad.

"Un-Apple like" does not = "bad"

Reactions: ultravisitor

Rainshadow

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2017
I still think that the color combination was in part due to the fact the red and black is too "masculine" or as another comment here mentions "aggressive." If they would have done that, then approximately 50% of the market would have been put off. White and red is more gender neutral.

Those of you who like options... Apple has never been a big option company. I still prefer Apple to make fewer options and put more effort into features and innovation.

This isn't even to mention that the product red category is supposed to be for raising money for aids, not a color preference necessarily. I would buy one if it had been a choice not for the aesthetics, but for the cause. I would have put a case on it the next day and never thought about it until I sold it years later.

stopthenonsense

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2015
Spring, TX
Winget had to replace not only the front plate but also the logic board because if he swapped just the front portion of the device, the Touch ID fingerprint sensor would have been rendered unusable.

Umm, no it wouldn't! I've had my screen repaired at a kiosk in the mall and they just don't replace the fingerprint sensor. And I've even had a white screen replaced with a black one with no issue. It cost $90 for an iPhone 6s.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Personally I prefer the black front. The red and white just looks like a tat Christmas decoration.
Did not even give the iPhone red a second look after I checked it out on display. It ain't nearly Christmas yet. :)

Someone needs to start a poll to see if folks would have scarfed one up with black front and matching home button. :) I would have at least bought it to consider it.

Reactions: pruntzel

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I think I do too, but I wish it had a red Touch ID sensor rather than silver. It looks nice either way.
Not making the touch ID ring red is most irritating part and deal breaker of it for me. A small detail, but one you wouldn't expect Apple to miss, especially after going through the trouble to do it on the other colors. With a case, this is literally just a regular silver iPhone.

7thson

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I want to see the Jet Black put together with the white bezel screen. It's probably horrible, but it would give people something(else) to criticize.

Reactions: anarchos

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
Yep.

Do you not agree that both of those products would look FAR more at home here than on Apple's website?
I will give you that most other red Apple products were white on red or featured a white click wheel.

Red on black U2 iPod and black on red nano are the standouts.

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Brussels, belgium
Remember as a kid, when you saw a very cool guy in a red Ferrari, but then you grew up and when you think about it, he actually looked tacky and cheap.

That's a red iPhone with black front, tacky and cheap.

And yes, the fingerprint ring should have been red too, cheapo Apple.

djcerla

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
I would be willing to bet $500 on this.

Under Jobs, if the part from the black iPhone wasn't the right shade to compliment the red aluminum, he would have had them try 15 other shades of black to find the right one. Under Cook, this is an accounting decision. Which color are we overstocked on? Yeah, perfect, use that one!
Leave Steve alone, this is pure nonsense.

Two bezel colors were acceptable in this RED iPhone: black or white.

The iPhone GUI has a white theme, so the natural choice is white. It's a simple and logical path of reasoning.

prism

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
Only apple would think of combining white with gold/rose gold and only a brain-dead fanboy would actually find that an attractive combination.

Reactions: Zorn and Demo Kit

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
It looks good, but I am not crazy enough to do that. I would rather get it officially from Apple. Too much hassle for aesthetics and potential damage. I would buy either a Black or Jet Black and a red case.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
I prefer black fronts generally.. regardless of the back colour or material.

But certainly Apple loves white - the Macs, the earphones, the software!

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
I still think that the color combination was in part due to the fact the red and black is too "masculine" or as another comment here mentions "aggressive." If they would have done that, then approximately 50% of the market would have been put off. White and red is more gender neutral.

Those of you who like options... Apple has never been a big option company. I still prefer Apple to make fewer options and put more effort into features and innovation.

This isn't even to mention that the product red category is supposed to be for raising money for aids, not a color preference necessarily. I would buy one if it had been a choice not for the aesthetics, but for the cause. I would have put a case on it the next day and never thought about it until I sold it years later.
Yeah but we ladies have rose gold, which doesn't seem to appeal to that many guys from what I've been able to gather. Red and black actually doesn't seem aggressive or masculine to me, as women have a lot of clothes and accessories in that combination, but not as much with red and white. Most women for work or on an evening out would pair a red dress with black heels and accessories and vice versa, I think. Unless it's for a summer garden party or similar, which is when you'd see the red and white combo, which is a more specific look.

For example I see and personally own more of this sort of style

IMG_0300.JPG

Than this

IMG_0301.JPG

A woman just gets more value for her money on black and red combinations because that combo can apply to more seasons and situations where red and white are more playful and season specific.

I do own a red phone with a black front. It's an HTC 10. My female friends love it. They thought it was an iPhone in a custom case.

Paddle1

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2013
Winget had to replace not only the front plate but also the logic board because if he swapped just the front portion of the device, the Touch ID fingerprint sensor would have been rendered unusable.

Umm, no it wouldn't! I've had my screen repaired at a kiosk in the mall and they just don't replace the fingerprint sensor. And I've even had a white screen replaced with a black one with no issue. It cost $90 for an iPhone 6s.
The iPhone 6s has a physical home button. The 7 is different.

The reason this iPhone is red and white is likely because those are the colors of the (RED) brand. Makes sense if you think about it.

Reactions: tooloud10

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I'd just get a red skin or the product red case. I get it, but too many of a hassle to get that look and end up with not even scratch protection.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I like it. It needs the Touch ID ring to be red, and the Apple logo on the back to be black. The black ID ring doesn't work as well, although it is far better than the silver ID ring on the white Project Red.

Reactions: kltmom

hobsgrg

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Does one really have to swap the logic board? When changing any screen with a Touch ID sensor u just need to swap out the home button so the same sensor remains paired with the logic board - although I'm not sure if u can remove it on the 7 models. Guess not, or he would have done that...
You can do what you describe but then you are left with a white home button! That is the reason why they swapped the logic board, so you have a black home button rather than a white one.