(PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 Plus Gets Black Front in New Part Swap Video

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68030
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Good. The white bezel is an eyesore.
When you look at an iOS device, what's on the display (the software) should be the focus of the device, not POW! BEZEL! IN YOUR FACE!

If it were seamless with the display emerging from out of the white, then that'd be one thing, but it isn't. The display graphics butt up to a black area, which the white doesn't even completely cover, leaving you with the odd blinding white display, abrupt black ring around it to visually trip over, on your way to the bright white face, with more black holes in it. The white looks cheap, ill-fitting, and like the kind of fashion statement a teenager who goes around wearing white sunglasses is trying to make.

It is a much cleaner and better design for bold graphics to emerge from the uniform darkness of the black face.

Silver (clear anodized) should also come with the black face, as the original, classic iPhone did.

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
Remember as a kid, when you saw a very cool guy in a red Ferrari, but then you grew up and when you think about it, he actually looked tacky and cheap.

That's a red iPhone with black front, tacky and cheap.

And yes, the fingerprint ring should have been red too, cheapo Apple.
Uhhh are you serious? No, I was obsessed with ferraris as a kid(still now)and no way thought a guy in a red one looked cheap. But hey red is my favorite color aside from grey and black. Not sure how a red Ferrari looks tacky and cheap. Complete opposite to me.

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
Can we have pics of jet black case with white front? I think that could be a nice combo.

Royal Gala

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2016
Leave Steve alone, this is pure nonsense.

Two bezel colors were acceptable in this RED iPhone: black or white.

The iPhone GUI has a white theme, so the natural choice is white. It's a simple and logical path of reasoning.
The white-themed GUI is the same across all iPhone models, including the black-fronted variants. So, yes, that reasoning is simple, but it's certainly not logical.

macsba

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2015
Next to my Mac.
Looks like in reality they swapped the backs and had the guts retained with the screen bezel cover.

My big question: Was it able to be used?

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
It looks 1000% better than the white front. Even Samsung has decided to use a black front on all their S8 models. Apple is still stuck in the same front color of the last 10 years. Apple never likes to experiment outside of their comfort zone. White is just a butt ugly front color.

Reactions: Demo Kit and Treq

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
I like the comments that this is unapplelike, when we all know that if Apple had shipped it with a black front, those people would have spoken out in favour of the black.

I think it looks much better black from that video, but agree that all red would have been more courageous.

now i see it

macrumors 601
Jan 2, 2002
The black front w red looks masculine and menacing. Sinister. The white front looks more cheerful and friendly. For a Product RED device (which brings to attention the 70 million people who have died of AIDS and 35 million living with HIV) I think a slightly more cheery looking device is more appropriate

kazmac

macrumors 604
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Very nice, if pricey custom; but I do understand that Project RED is red and white. If I still had my matte black 7+ I would just stuff it into a red case.

Thankfully, my angsty indecisive mind has realized that no phone will do what I need it to do these days with the reliance on streaming and the now removed Home Video option in the TV app in iOS10.2 (Android has nothing like that either.) Combined with the bad taste of December's iPhone experiences. Oh well.

My personal beefs aside, the PR red metallic color is an absolute beauty (I utterly adored my Project RED iPod Touch, but the wifi on it was horrid. I was so sad I had to return that...)

dwright1974

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2007
UK
Looks far better in black
I thought it would have looked better as black and red.

Went in to my local Apple Store today and saw the 7 Plus Red and loved it. In fact, I got one.

I've always had black iPhones and never considered a white-fronted one but it looks great in the flesh. Looking at this video I think apple made the right decision on white and red.

I do agree though that a red ring round the TouchID ring would've looked truly unique.

Each to their own though; Life's rich tapestry, and all that.

- D

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I thought it would have looked better as black and red.

Went in to my local Apple Store today and saw the 7 Plus Red and loved it. In fact, I got one.

I've always had black iPhones and never considered a white-fronted one but it looks great in the flesh. Looking at this video I think apple made the right decision on white and red.

I do agree though that a red ring round the TouchID ring would've looked truly unique.

Each to their own though; Life's rich tapestry, and all that.

- D
Well yeah least they have brought out a new colour which many wanted to see.

imamacperson

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2013

Apple's new (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, released yesterday, feature a bright red aluminum casing that many are a fan of. Unfortunately, it comes equipped with a white front plate, much like the Gold, Silver, and Rose Gold iPhones, something that's been a point of criticism for people who think it would have looked better with a black front plate.

YouTuber Danny Winget recently tore apart a red iPhone 7 Plus and replaced its logic board and front plate with parts taken from a Jet Black iPhone 7 Plus, giving us a glimpse at what an actual (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 Plus with a black front would have looked like.

Winget had to replace not only the front plate but also the logic board because if he swapped just the front portion of the device, the Touch ID fingerprint sensor would have been rendered unusable.

Apple ties the Touch ID fingerprint sensor to an iPhone's logic board and disables it for security reasons if any of the parts are swapped out. Therefore, most of the internal structure of the (PRODUCT)RED iPhone had to be replaced with parts from the Jet Black iPhone.

Purchasing an entire Jet Black iPhone 7 or 7 Plus for the purpose of creating a hybrid red/black iPhone 7 is probably out of the question for most people, but it's an interesting proof of concept.

This method essentially ruins the Jet Black iPhone 7 involved, making it a rather pricy project, and it destroys the waterproofing seal on the red iPhone.

It's also worth noting that this is a highly complicated process that essentially requires tearing apart two iPhones, melding them together, and hoping nothing goes wrong, something that the average person won't want to attempt.

For a closer look at the Special Edition (PRODUCT)RED iPhone, make sure to check out our hands-on video.

Article Link: (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 Plus Gets Black Front in New Part Swap Video
How long before the red color fades?

MaxGravy

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
Texas!
Black doesn't quite look right. Seeing the black front makes me like the white front even more. Also, the phone's red color is slightly darker and more red than the ipod. It's more pronounced than this photo (taken with an ipad mini).

This is my first smart phone! I have macs, ipods and ipads but never a phone better than a cheap tracfone.

This thing is simply amazing.

[doublepost=1490477335][/doublepost]Forgot to mention, I've been using with the new phone air-pods. No cords is fantastic. We live in the future. :)

MrGuder

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2012
Now that is something I would buy. Great job Danny you should make sure Apple sees this. Can you also add a red ring to the home button? Do you take checks or cash? Hee hee