(Product) RED Thanks Apple for Contributions Totaling $75 Million, Explains Recent Comments From Bono

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
And where is Microsoft? Nowhere. What Gates does with his money is irrelevant. The question is about Microsoft corporately.
Done with the ignorant Apple Homers here. :rolleyes:

The common sense in this thread is weak I fear.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
"Explains". More like damage control. Here's the simple truth: Bono is a proud, ungrateful and arrogant dooshbag. If I were him I'd be at the least obliged if Apple made me even 75 cents.
It's not damage control. Go watch the video. Jony Ive and the audience laughed at Bono's comments. It was all innocent, good natured ribbing. The faux outrage is ridiculous.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
It's not damage control. Go watch the video. Jony Ive and the audience laughed at Bono's comments. It was all innocent, good natured ribbing. The faux outrage is ridiculous.
The fact that Jony Ive gets entirely too excited when describing his work with Aluminum to the point he may go in his pants at any second aside, what would you like him to do when someone makes a bonehead comment. An awkward and ignorant comment, he laughs and takes care of business later, the way you should. No need to directly address it then and there.

nwcs

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Done with the ignorant Apple Homers here. :rolleyes:

The common sense in this thread is weak I fear.
In other words, you were wrong and can't admit it. Gotcha. Done with people who don't understand the difference between citizens and corporations.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
In other words, you were wrong and can't admit it. Gotcha. Done with people who don't understand the difference between citizens and corporations.
Did you try using Google to answer the rest of your question. Apple's contributions, next to Microsoft's, are laughable. EVERYONE knows Steve was a tight wad and Tim is trying to undo that image, and even at that he can't do it fast enough.

nwcs

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Did you try using Google to answer the rest of your question. Apple's contributions, next to Microsoft's, are laughable. EVERYONE knows Steve was a tight wad and Tim is trying to undo that image, and even at that he can't do it fast enough.
Personally, I don't care how much Apple or Microsoft give. It's all PR for them. But saying that what Bill Gates does has any relevance to whether or not Microsoft donates to charity is just plain wrong.

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
A (Product) RED iWatch would look cool but oh-so silly on my wrist.

Still, I commend Apple for doing what they do. I can understand Bono's frustration but Apple are doing far more than other companies.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
The fact that Jony Ive gets entirely too excited when describing his work with Aluminum to the point he may go in his pants at any second aside, what would you like him to do when someone makes a bonehead comment. An awkward and ignorant comment, he laughs and takes care of business later, the way you should. No need to directly address it then and there.
Because he, along with the audience can take a joke. Apparently some people here can't. Certainly not when it comes to Steve Jobs.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
I'm done because we are discussing two separate things.
A quick search of your recent posts suggests that you are unable to get past your love affair with Apple and have an open mind toward anything or anyone unrelated thus yes, we are done.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors 604
Wow. I suggest you do some searches for "top corporate philanthropists" and similar. There's plenty of companies in the business of giving, including many that get a fair amount of hate (and bailouts). Then, try searches like Microsoft philanthropy and similar.

No love for Microsoft here but these particular facts are easily discovered. Simple searches shows that lots of big successful companies give a LOT of money to charity. For example, slide across the graph on this page http://philanthropy.com/article/How-America-s-Biggest/140269/ to see where companies like Google, Intel, Microsoft, AT&T, Verizon, IBM, Cisco, Dell, Texas Instruments and Apple show in terms of corporate giving.

I think this Project Red success is great and Apple participating in it is also great but there's a big difference between making some products to sell and then a portion of those sales going to a charity and outright giving of corporate cash to charity. Apple is a great company and does a lot no doubt, but you make it almost sound like they stand alone in this kind of thing.

By donating a portion of sales to Project Red, it's us consumers BUYING those products that is driving those contributions. Apple's big contribution is making them, promoting them and choosing to donate a cut of that action- all of which is terrific on Apple's part. However, that's different than- say- Apple reaching in the vault and donating a big pile of money to something (which Apple does do but I would need to see something to make me think they do that on a notable scale bigger than say a Microsoft- again look for Apple in the interactive chart at the above link).

Last edited:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Visit site
This is why I dislike people. The ones that can't handle other people's opinions or humor. (I don't care which it is in this case) And the ones that apologize to that 1st group, to cover their ass.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Sounds like the arrogant d-bag in school who gives everyone crap all the time and then says, "God, I was only joking. You don't have to be such a baby." once anyone calls them out for it.

ElTorro

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
Kudos to Apple. I wonder why you never hear about charity programs from Samsung, Google, Microsoft, etc....
Before you come here and make a stupid comment like this, at least spend 30 seconds and try to look around for facts. In 2011 alone, Google gave $100M to charitable organizations. Microsoft employees in 2012 gave $105M and in 2013 $113M to charity. Samsung is involved with many charity programs, such as Hope for Children that is a US program. They also provide disaster relief, like ~$10M in Sichuan.

But as always, for a blind fanboy, it is always and only Apple that is doing the right thing.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Bono needs to learn to ****.

How does it figure in your mind to openly criticise your largest contributor and say they are not doing enough... surely you should encourage your lesser supporters to up their game.

I am not against Apple increasing their support but Bono needs to own up and say sorry for thins and not have some PR guy try to blame context of a joke when what was said was clearly not one.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Doesn't sound right to me. He plainly said that Apple is sickeningly modest. Not even true, considering the huge glowing white  << that's right, the Unicode character, not a n00b image on the back of my MacBook Pro. Either it's a really bad joke or a genuine(ly dumb) comment. Just because people took it as a joke doesn't mean that it was one.
Nobody can see that. This is modesty run amok. This is the Apple way. They’re like a religious cult.
This doesn't make sense...

Last edited:

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
still poor taste even for a joke.