Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
He's only ever right when copying off other reputable leakers.
That could be true except for the fact that it’s pulled directly from your rear end. He’s frequently correct with very specific release dates. Don’t understand why you guys expend so much negative energy trying to pull him down because he’s occasionally wrong. He’s sincerely trying to be a good Apple news source and he does a fine job of it.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Your comment contradicts itself.
The rumors for “the past 2-3 years” are that AirTags ARE their own product.

I wonder why you believe you know otherwise and feel as though you should attack other members because of your skewed opinion?

you really need to red my comment again. In no way does it contradict itself.

There are ONLY rumours of AirTags, putting a screenshot of a supposed Apple internal support page - support for an OS function that never existed in iOS 10/11/12/13/14 is not fact. Heck someone could’ve created a screenshot using Microsoft Paint (no need for photoshop skills).

I’m not claiming to “know” better, I’m just using common sense.
U1 chip is being used in products for Apple.
Tile and other smaller company’s already have much smaller products on the market and a maker share for ppl that loose keys or wallets or other things; Tile has a laptop partnership with HP already with the DragonFly model (v2).
iOS devices can already source others when Wi-Fi is off and on extremely low battery mode.

in what way has Apple ever been in the service of helping customers find products they themselves do not make? Why would Apple get into any potential issue when a user complains that AirTags as a product locates a 3rd party item and it wasn’t there?

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
you really need to red my comment again. In no way does it contradict itself.

There are ONLY rumours of AirTags, putting a screenshot of a supposed Apple internal support page - support for an OS function that never existed in iOS 10/11/12/13/14 is not fact. Heck someone could’ve created a screenshot using Microsoft Paint (no need for photoshop skills).

I’m not claiming to “know” better, I’m just using common sense.
U1 chip is being used in products for Apple.
Tile and other smaller company’s already have much smaller products on the market and a maker share for ppl that loose keys or wallets or other things; Tile has a laptop partnership with HP already with the DragonFly model (v2).
iOS devices can already source others when Wi-Fi is off and on extremely low battery mode.

in what way has Apple ever been in the service of helping customers find products they themselves do not make? Why would Apple get into any potential issue when a user complains that AirTags as a product locates a 3rd party item and it wasn’t there?
Without over complicating it. For clarity, I’ll reword my statement.
Leakers for past 2 or so years ALL point to AirTags being a stand alone product, not a function of U1 in other devices.

You don't think that is the case. Guess we’ll see?

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Yeah, I'm really not liking the deliberate retro styling that rumours seem to be suggesting. Personal taste aside, doing the retro thing seems very un-Apple. "We took a single block of Bakelite..." - no thanks.
I remember when people were 100% sure the iPhone 4 leak wasn’t real for this exact reason - “un-Apple”. Same with the maxiPad nomenclature. I’m not advocating for this mock-up/leak, just being objective.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Without over complicating it. For clarity, I’ll reword my statement.
Leakers for past 2 or so years ALL point to AirTags being a stand alone product, not a function of U1 in other devices.

You don't think that is the case. Guess we’ll see?

Better stated.

I just think it’s a very simplistic product that could’ve been released 2yrs ago - I just don’t see AirTags as a stand-alone product vs a software implementation on chips (U1) already used in existing Apple and future Apple products.

especially when products like this (attached) cost $5.99 CAN do what AirTags as a rumoured product already duplicate.

we shall see indeed (but it’s almost been 3yrs now) ;)

Attachments

• 256F882B-98AE-43A3-9AE9-A10BA2AF0E7F.jpeg
    256F882B-98AE-43A3-9AE9-A10BA2AF0E7F.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 3CFB5821-1E2C-47E1-A188-985DE8B79CD5.jpeg
    3CFB5821-1E2C-47E1-A188-985DE8B79CD5.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 7D8B0F2E-AE77-44CA-8922-8F07342C101E.jpeg
    7D8B0F2E-AE77-44CA-8922-8F07342C101E.jpeg
    222.1 KB · Views: 59

gregohb

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2013
Los Angeles, CA, USA
To be fair to everyone, the AirTags have been rumored to come out since June 2019.
They were rumored to be announced at WWDC 2019, and they were not.
They were rumored to be announced in September 2019 with the iPhone 11‘s new U1 chip, and they were not.
Apple was rumored to have an October 2019 event with the 16 inch MacBook Pro, AirPods Pro, and AirTags. That didn’t happen.
They were rumored to come out in March/April with the iPhone SE and the 2020 iPad Pro. Clearly that didn’t happen.
They even leaked in an Apple support video in April 2020. Yet we still don’t have them.
It’s starting to feel like a repeat of the airpower situation. We know they exist, Apple has actually leaked their existence. They are more than just a rumored product at this point. Literally, the only thing they haven’t done is officially said what they are. But they have leaked the name.
And just like airpower, every time there’s an event, every time there’s a website refresh, anytime there’s a new commercial, anything, the rumor is that the airtags will be there. And they never are.
So at this point, either they’re having major technical difficulties, they are scared of antitrust investigations, or they don’t even know when they will launch.

They need to have working prototypes before creating a name and allowing enough info to leak. They might be testing the waters.

Xavalon

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2017
And all of this for a 25 dollar product. What’s next you can get them in rose gold and ocean blue. Who cares.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
“REFERENCED” in a support video. We’re now on a more recent iOS version and yet, still, 6 months later, there is NO evidence of this within the production OS. No real physical hardware leaks of the product just some rendering of a puck.

so how wrong am I do you really think and believe I am? Hmmm
Actually, Apple has leaked a lot about them. Not only did the name of them leak in an Apple support video, but deep in iOS, there’s an interface, their’s sound effects, there’s a new tab for the find my app specifically for them.
They exist, they’re an actual product.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
OK, apples reasoning for delaying the airtags kind of makes sense.
I understand that introducing a product tracker that supposed to help you find lost and stolen products, in the middle of a pandemic where everyone is stuck at home, seems a little bit weird. So it makes sense that they’re trying to wait until a better time to introduce them.
However, the two rebuttals I would give are that:
1: we have no idea if things will be back to normal in March 2021. They could be better, they could be much, much worse.
2: I don’t see the difference in demand. If they introduce them now, but there’s not a demand for them until March 2021, the people will just buy them in March 2021. I don’t think the introduction date will change the demand for them when things return back to normal.
What I would do is introduce them now, that way you can get all the Apple fans and the holiday shoppers to buy them, and they will still be available in March for those who want to buy some then. I don’t understand delaying them just because they might not be at their peak demand right now.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
First of all: The airtags are not delayed. A product can’t be delayed if it has not been announced.

the iPhone 12 is delayed by two months
the AirPower charger mat got delayed and then cancelled.

AirTags officially don’t exist, so you can’t delay that.

second of all: boy do I hope Tim Apple is going to release AirTags next week so Prosser’s reputation is definitely gone.
Apple hasn’t announced the iPhone 12, either. Their CFO made an oblique reference during an earnings call to “new iPhones” with supply “to be available a few weeks later” than late September, when last year’s iPhones shipped.

• Disagree
Reactions: DinkThifferent

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
First of all: The airtags are not delayed. A product can’t be delayed if it has not been announced.

the iPhone 12 is delayed by two months
the AirPower charger mat got delayed and then cancelled.

AirTags officially don’t exist, so you can’t delay that.

second of all: boy do I hope Tim Apple is going to release AirTags next week so Prosser’s reputation is definitely gone.
Mate... he's definitely got one of the worst reputations of the common leakers and for some reason there's people on these forums that just crave his fake "leaks" (other peoples leaks he claims as his own mostly). I don't understand people, he gets called out by everyone, then next week they're raving on about him again.

eddiezus

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2019
I wonder why he’s the only leaker talking about AirTags? L0vetodream, Mark Gruman, or Kang didn’t mention anything about AirTags.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Actually, Apple has leaked a lot about them. Not only did the name of them leak in an Apple support video, but deep in iOS, there’s an interface, their’s sound effects, there’s a new tab for the find my app specifically for them.
They exist, they’re an actual product.

youre talking about all software implementations. Funny how no leaked hardware has been done no actual photo just renders? Yet every physical product Apple has made in the 10yrs has been leaked - a photo. Weird. But we shall see.

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
I posted this in the iPhone 12 article, but it’s a lot more fitting here, so I’m gonna post it here as well.

Trust me, this is one of these situations where I’m hoping that Prosser is absolutely wrong.
But if he’s not, Apple, what the hell are you doing?
First, you introduce the Apple Watch SE at an extra $79 then was predicted? That thing should have been $199. That’s the magic price point, remember? Phil Schiller and Steve Jobs used to talk about that all the time. $199 is the magic price point, not $279. even $299 would’ve sounded better psychologically. Come on now.
Then, just to add insult to injury, you take away the ceramic option for the Apple Watch. Yeah, it was quite expensive, and very much not popular. But I know people who actually liked it.
Then, you take your iPad Air, basically turn it into an iPad Pro, and upped the price. Apple has always tried to keep that $499 price. They have rarely moved away from it. But now its 599? What is going on. also, it is October. Where is it. Where is the iPad Air. You already have your next event scheduled, all the products from your previous event should be out by now.
Then, you have had an Apple TV ready for over a year according to rumors. But you’re still selling the old Apple TV HD from 2015, even though you know that it’s completely outdated. introduce a new model, or at least discontinue the HD. That’s just bad for customers, they don’t know that they’re buying a five-year-old product.
And now, you have two of your most exciting products in a long time, the AirPods studio, and the air tags. And you’re going to have the entire Internet attention next Tuesday. And what do you choose to do?
Delay the air tags another six months, even though all signs point to them already being ready, and Price gouge The AirPods Studio. The rumor has been that they would be $349. Where the hell is this $599 coming from, and why would anyone spend $600 on Apple headphones?
Seriously, I get that it’s a weird year and all, but what type of crack is Apple on.
A firehouse of nonsense. e.g.:

“You already have your next event scheduled, all the products from your previous event should be out by now.”

Should? Who says? Where is this rule carved in stone? Press conferences and product introductions are strategic decisions based off of marketing and production insights. The reasons why and why not products are introduced at any given press conference are complex. And most of the time, the public has no idea what those reasons are. Why was the iPad introduced when it was? Likely because and they wanted to make sure it got the time and attention it needed, without distraction from more popular products like the iPhone. Why is it not out yet? Well, there is a global pandemic crippling supply chain now, isn’t there? Lots of potentially reasonable and understandable reasons. But not for you. The kind of idle and baseless opinionating in your post is the detritus of social media.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Yeah, there are loads of inaccurate leakers. Why should Prosser be any different?! Pfft!
Just kind of a dumb assertion, honestly. Say his voice and energy annoys you and move along.

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Surely if they’re stolen the thief will just take the tag off?
A "smart" criminal would know to look for a tracker but in my town most of the property theft is done by meth heads who aren't that smart. Plus the key is in putting the tag (supposedly about the size of a bottle cap) in a location where it would be difficult to find such as inside the seat tube, stem or handlebars. I know this would not work on steel bikes but I am hoping the tags would still function properly on a carbon fiber bike.

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
I had a great racing bike stolen once and it still pains me to think about. Would you hide it inside the frame or something? Seems like if it was visible the theives would just strip it off immediately.
Most of the property crime in my small town is done by meth heads so they aren't the brightest bulbs in the pack. My plan would be to try to fit the AirTag inside the seat tube, stem, or handlebars. My bike is carbon fiber so I am hoping it would not interfere with the proper operation of the AirTags.

Reactions: ignatius345
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.