Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PunisherUltra

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
SINCE 3GS and i4 users are reporting the SAME thing it is without a doubt a Software issue with IOS4.

Expect a patch to fix the problem.

Case closed.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
I think it could be a software issue as well. The proximity censor seems to working. Just maybe the software is screwing up with the proximity censor or touchscreen.

nccb

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
LOL. This actually happened to me yesterday while I was on the phone with an "Apple Senior Advisor"......I muted him and didn't know it. Ironically I was talking to him about the reception issue.

MacintoshJosh3

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
And I thought I was the only one. Every single call I have made not using speakerphone I have hung up on the person. Must be the way I hold it or my phone is considering some of you mute or dial numbers. Hopefully this can be resolved as this is the only issue I have with my iPhone 4.

Rufuss Sewell

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Austin, TX
Ack, really nasty problems with this. I've only made a few calls and they've all been plagued by my face touching the screen. I've never had this problem before.

Nicklaus

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Winter Park
With the way I have to hold the phone to try not to touch the parts that drop the call and to not have my face hit the screen, I feel like a circus performer.

natas13

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Same issues

Same issues muting... face dialing etc...called apple they had me do a restore to factory settings....It didnt work...new phone will be here on monday.. Just call tech support and get a new phone it that easy...but lets see if the new one works on monday

SHAWNYMAC

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2008
JERSEY SHORE
well boys and girls......had gotten a apple care number....went to the store yesterday to pick up a new replacement phone,while there spoke to a couple peope and they never really had this issue.....well got my phone and guess what.....SAME CRAP.....has to be a software issue....i don't have any probs with antenna or signal issues ...just randomly hanging up ,facetime or hold......

LittleRedBird

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
I'm having the same problem. Phone automatically switched to speaker when I was mid-sentence. Nothing like that ever happened to me with the 3GS. only difference is that my 3GS had a case. I also have the issue w/dropping bars. Still love the device though!

Edit: Only happened that one time and I've taken a few calls since. Maybe a fluke on my part (fingers crossed)?

gordes

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
I've been having this same issue since I got my phone on Wednesday. After a 2 minute call this morning was disconnected by my chin 4 times, I called Apple.

They are having me do a "restore" via iTunes to see if there is any improvement. If not, the advisor said it is most likely a hardware issue, and they will have to repair or replace the phone.

I'm doing the restore now... we'll see if that helps anything.

Update: Did a restore and it didn't seem to help. Spoke at length to an Apple supervisor who said they've heard many similar complaints and are trying to sort out whether it's hardware or software related. At this time, they won't replace the phone because there's no guarantee a new phone would be any different. She did say that it seems to be an issue on most, if not all, phones (for whatever that is worth). She didn't say whether it was isolated to the iPhone 4, or if other phones with iOS 4 had the issue, too.

Helladesigner

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2008
I'm having the same issues and it's really annoying! I've accidentily conference-called 3 people today, hit the mute button at least 4 times and pressed a couple of numbers by accident! Argh!

The thing is, I have always been annoyed by the screen no matter the version -2G, 3Gs, now iPhone 4. I realize that while talking and simultaneously doing other stuff, sometimes you just shift and the proximity sensor turns off, so what I used to do was turn off the iPhone screen by clicking the sleep/wake button once, while I was on a call (this did not end the call). Then to access the phone again, all I would have to do is click once again and it would bring up the "slide to unlock" screen.
I am now under the impression that this "feature" was only available in software version 3.1.2 (not sure if it was possible for versions before that, but I know the next version up you're not able to do this - my friend has a 3G running 3.1.3, and wasn't able to do this). Now when I hit the sleep/wake, it automatically ends the call :(

If Apple just let us do what I could do in 3.1.2, that would be great!!! Has anyone else been able to turn off the screen while on a call by clicking the sleep/wake button once?

acribb

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2007
Same here.

The only lengthy call I have been on, greater than 3 minutes, it put me on speaker several times and mashed number buttons as well.

The sensor is not sensitive enough.

Fant

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Yep i thought i was crazy but i'm glad to see others with the same problem. Will wait to see what apple says otherwise this thing is useless for voice calls ...

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
Yup, add me to the list

I'm having the same problem. Phone automatically switched to speaker when I was mid-sentence. Nothing like that ever happened to me with the 3GS. only difference is that my 3GS had a case. I also have the issue w/dropping bars. Still love the device though!

Edit: Only happened that one time and I've taken a few calls since. Maybe a fluke on my part (fingers crossed)?

+1

Your experience mirrors mine exactly. Never a problem on the 3Gs. I was also sending DTMF tones so I hid the keypad, only to hear the audio switch from ear to lower speaker a few moments later. Sure enough, speakerphone had been turned on by my cheek.

I hope it's IOS4 since some with 3Gs phones are starting to see this issue crop up as well.

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
count me in for this issue too.... Hate to see this happening but nice to know I'm not going nuts or there is an issue with just my phone!

I REALLY hope this is a iOS4 software issue if not They will be giving me a new damn phone until they get it right.... The signal thing sucks but I haven't had much issues with the signal problem at all, BUT THIS has been driving me INSANE!!! :mad:

Please Apple get something right for once.

If anyone knows anything new about this please let us know.

KellyAnnSees

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
Iphone 4 screen hyper sensitive!

I bought the Iphone 4 on June 29th.. and 1 hr later my camera froze and never recovered. I had to get my phone replaced the next day because Apple could not fix it. Now I love the camera but hate having phone calls.. I have texted, hung up on, put on mute, on hold , and called a third party all without my knowledge.. It was all done by my cheek! This screen is so hyper sensitive it is driving me nuts! i have tried all different ways of holding the phone on my ear and now talk mostly on speaker phone.. which has also sucks because people are saying they cant hear me clearly. Whats the deal???

univ0298

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Reset settings doesn't help

Just wanted to update my experience - I did a reset of settings and it did not help. I highly doubt that has anything to do with this.

I tested listening to voicemails while standing in front of a mirror. I see many occasions when the screen becomes active even though it's very close to my ear at the time.

Same tests with a 3GS on iOS4 show no problems so it's not an iOS4 issue either.

I suspect some fatal flaw in the hardware unfortunately. Perhaps software lets the sensitivity be adjusted, but I doubt it.

Need an official response from Apple.

Sledutah

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Utah
Between this and the reception issues, I've about had it. Glad I haven't gotten rid of my 3gs. In a year of using it, I never had 1 call change to mute, speaker or dial another number by itself :mad:
I've now had this phone for about 26 hours.

emaven

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2008
Midwest
Same problem with the 3GS

I have a similar problem, where the proxy sensor will basically lock the screen in the turned off mode during a call and won't let you access the in call menu or anything until you force end the call. really sucks.

I upgraded the 3GS to iOS4.

When I make or answer a call, the screen will go dark and stay that way. I can't get back to a lit screen.
I played around a bit, and if I put my finger over the proximity sensor, the screen comes back to life.
So it seems to work backwards. It stays dark and no buttons work. But if I put my finger over the sensor, the screen lights up.
Then I can get back to other apps and the rest of the phone works fine.
So don't force end the call, just put your finger over the proximity sensor. At least on the 3GS

Restoring and/or resetting the phone did not fix this.

UCF-ENG

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
This is HUGE issue for me.

Before I got the iPhone 4, I thought the reception thing was a big issue. Now that I actually own the phone I can tell you that is is NOTHING compared to this proximity sensor issue!

I constantly mute calls, hang up on people, hit facetime, conference call, etc.

I have dropped zero calls since I got the phone (from the reception issue), I hang up (or hit a button) on 2 out of every 3 calls, and that's being generous.

If Apple doesn't fix this before my 30 days are up it's going back.

The 3GS isn't looking so bad. I will miss the screen and camera/flash though.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
France
I experience more and more issues with the PS and start doubting about a possibility of a SW fix...Also why some have the issue and some do not? Is that only due to the way the users are handling the phone during calls? I had no issues with my 3GS on iOS4...on the 3GS the PS is not located at the same spot...
In addition to my volume button having some play it becomes a bit too much for me...Going to the apple store tomorrow for a replacement.
X

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.