PS3 - Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Creeping-Death, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creeping-Death macrumors newbie

So, I've had a 360 for over a year now and I'm pretty pleased, but I've been wondering if I should buy a PS3. So to you who have both, is it worth it? What are the PS3 exclusive games that would make the purchase worth it, since I'll buy the multi-console games on 360 (I'm kinda hooked on the achievements :p).

Thanks!

2. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

3. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

4. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

Yes for MGS4, but not sure for anything else. *shrugs*

5. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I wouldn't buy one if you've already got an Xbox 360, unless you want an inexpensive Blu-ray player. It's okay, but mine's gathering dust too.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Metal Gear Solid 4 is downright amazing. Easily the best game of this generation.

Resistance was pretty good and worth playing, but I'm really excited about Resistance 2.

Heavenly Sword was very good.

God of War should be very good and SOCOM has potential.

I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think right now. I really like both systems, and couldn't imaging not having my PS3.

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Well worth the $299 after the Sony Credit Card Rebate.

Use it still mostly for movies, though....

8. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

If you already have a XBox360, the compelling reason to get a PS3 is to have a pretty good BluRay disk player.

9. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Ya it's worth it. I love to play games like Uncharted, MGS4 :p, GT5p, and some multiplats. But the games coming soon look great like Little Big Planet, Killzone 2, Motorstorm 2, and more. I actually just got back from playing some MGO and found out how to take transfer pictures to my USB flash drive!

http://img.skitch.com/20080618-quq1xdr9qsfh4qmgfm88m9q1fh.jpg

Not sure why it says butters but.....

10. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

11. Creeping-Death thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the quick answers!

I only had Resistance in mind, having played a MGS game before and not having liked it, but if there is a GOW coming and Killzone 2, that might be interesting. And the Blu-Ray is attractive also (although my HD-DVD player is gattering dust).

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I really liked playing MGS4 on it but that's pretty much it for now, and it isn't enough to make me want to buy a £300 console for. Going to sit back and wait whilst they (hopefully) reintroduce PS2 b/c, lower the price, add all these 360 inspired features and release another few MGS4-quality exclusive titles.

13. evan g macrumors regular

I like how the online does what it was made to do on the PS3, and it's free. I hate slowly shelling out money for Xbox Live. And the games aren't that bad, actually.

Man, this thread could easily turn into a fanboy argument...

14. Creeping-Death thread starter macrumors newbie

Please no!

Got to wonder why they took away the PS2 b/c, it was a good sale point for me, but now... might consider buying one of the older version that did have b/c, but I'm not a fan of used consoles.

15. Alloye macrumors 6502a

I'm very happy with my PS3. Resistance, Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo, and Metal Gear Solid are all nice exclusives. And since I don't own an Xbox 360, I also use it for some of the cross-platform titles like Oblivion and The Orange Box. Finally, the PS3 is a fantastic Blu-ray player. Watching Blu-ray movies on my 67" 1080p DLP has become an addiction. :eek:

16. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

The b/c components cost money and Sony needed (needs?) to cut costs quickly to lower price. Plus, this paves the way for them to introduce downloadable PS2 games in the future (a la Xbox Originals on 360)

MOAR REVENUE STREAMS!

17. Joel Beason macrumors member

my brother has one he got it around christmas time last year and he never plays it, he plays his pc or on my 360, I guess metal gear solid is cool but is it worth 500$?

18. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Its definitely worth the purchase...the games are there now and the console is not that expensive. There is the outstanding exclusive like warhwak, Uncharted, MGS4, R:FOM and Ratchet N clank....the games coming in 08 will make it even more appealing...Little Big Planet, Pixel Junk Eden, Resistance 2 and SOCOM just to name a few.

I'm the other way around...my 360 gets no play and I'm only keeping it around for the exclusive like Alan Wake and Left for dead but its definitely a good time to own a PS3.

Bless

19. evan g macrumors regular

20. kabunaru Guest

I have used the PS3 frequently and it's worth it. You should get it. :)

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm curious about this, wasn't the first Killzone terrible and the PSP versions also not so good? The hype doesn't stem from that CGI "ingame" sequence from E3 does it?

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ In fairness I was very skeptical of Killzone 2 when first announced and the CGI was played.

Subsequently it has seemingly shaped up well and looks promising indeed. It has gone from rating nothing on my games radar (forever to be known from this day hence as gamedar - which is similar to gaydar in the sense that it looks for mustached Italians with a younger brother for a bit of all night fun :D ) to scoring quite highly on it. However Feb 2009 is still a long way a way.

23. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I corrected that for you :p:D;)

You will still buy it, then of course you will complain. It's just the way it works around here with you.

24. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I would say a PS3 is definitely worth it. Get one!

Blu-ray movies are wonderful. The exclusive games are great. It's quiet and pretty much trouble-free. I can't think of any negatives right now. Maybe the lack of backward compatibility...but I don't have any PS2 games (and don't really want any)...so it's a non-issue for me.

25. evan g macrumors regular

Yeah, that is what I thought too. At first i was like, sure, whatever. Now it will be interesting to see how it turns out in 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.