PSA: Apple Email Asks Users Who Signed Up for Apple Card Invite to Provide Correct Apple ID, Even if They Did Already

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 14, 2019 at 4:16 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple customers who registered their interest in gaining early access to Apple Card were left confused last night after receiving an email from Apple asking for their Apple ID, despite having already provided it.

[​IMG]

Since early August, Apple users have been signing up on Apple's website to be notified early about the release of Apple Card. Apple has since sent out email invitations for an "Apple Card Preview" to some of those customers. However, it looks as though an error has cropped up in Apple's invite system as the second wave of customers starts to be processed.

The latest Apple email sent out to customers claims that their "early-access invitation is waiting," but that the email address they used when they originally signed up for an Apple Card invite doesn't match an existing Apple ID on record. The message reads:
    The email then provides steps for the user to check their Apple ID on iPhone and re-enter it at www.apple.com/apple-card to ensure they get notified, after which "invitations may take up to 48 hours to arrive."

While it's important to stay vigilant and report phishing attempts to Apple, in this case the "Notify Me" link provided in the email checks out and the raw email headers show the sender address is genuinely from Apple.

There are multiple reports on Reddit of people receiving the email who are 100 percent sure they signed up with the correct Apple ID email address. MacRumors also received the email - we're also very confident the right address was used - which suggests an erroneous communication has been sent out to hundreds, if not thousands of users, causing initial excitement swiftly followed by bemusement.

Several users have contacted Apple Support, who are apparently aware of the issue and it has been forwarded to the Apple Card engineering team. Still, it's worth noting that some users may have also received the email for the right reason - because they didn't use the email address associated with their Apple account.

Needless to say, if you did sign up for the Apple Card invitation, make sure you used the proper Apple ID email address. If you can't remember whether you did or not, consider signing up again, otherwise it could delay your invitation by a few days.

Once customers receive their actual email invitation to the Apple Card Preview, they can sign up for Apple Card in the Wallet app on the iPhone or by going to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay on the iPad.

Apple Card is limited to the United States at the current time, but may expand to additional countries in the near future. Apple is already in talks with European regulators, and has trademarked Apple Card in Europe, Hong Kong, and Canada.

Article Link: PSA: Apple Email Asks Users Who Signed Up for Apple Card Invite to Provide Correct Apple ID, Even if They Did Already

2. mikefj2004 macrumors member

Rec’d my email yesterday but I’m having the exact problem described in this article. I certainly am using the right email address but I got this email. I’m hoping Apple addresses this issue as soon as possible.

Attached Files:

3. Rychiar macrumors 6502

Rychiar

My Apple ID is a Mac.com email that Apple killed on me years ago when they wanted people to pay for email. So I’m sure I’d have this issue

4. genovelle macrumors 6502a

Really? I’ve had my Mac.com email since 2001 with several aliases. I’ve never paid a cent. It still works perfectly just like my .me account and can use .icloud in the place of any of them.

5. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

All this fuss cause of a credit card issued by Apple lol

6. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

Received the same email this morning. I know I've entered in the correct email address as well. Hopefully Apple will get this resolved.

7. Zandian macrumors regular

I was in the first round of emails and when I clicked to go to the card application page it gave me an error. Tech support told me it was an issue of the email not being sent to my Apple ID. They had me check my list of reachable email addresses in my settings. My Apple ID email was not the first one in the list. It was one I used for ITunes a long time ago and later changed because I had a mix-match between iTunes and my Apple ID long ago. They changed the email address for the early application email and resent, but it took a day. I don’t recall if I used my normal email address or my Apple ID when requesting the early application notice, but I think in the end it came down to if my Apple ID wasn’t first in the list of reachable emails their system got hosed. Seems from this post they are trying a manual work-around to this problem, but it is causing people to be concerned about phishing...

Z

8. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Working bugs out of new processes is always fun. Bummer to the folks going through this, although I'm sure Apple will get things working correctly.

9. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Still rockin' my mac.com email since the beginning of time and have never had any issues with it
    Remains my primary email to this day

10. Robert.Walter macrumors 68000

Robert.Walter

On Monday last, i saw the card in wallet before invite arrived. Went far into process before being booted due to credit freeze. (“Please Unfreeze and continue after doing so”.) invite arrived later that day.

Didn’t have time to follow up, but Tuesday received the email address issue email (“your invite is still waiting, but fix iCloud issue”.)

Got .mac/.me/.icloud email but my AID has always been tied to a .yahoo address where the emails came in.

Def a system problem at Apple.

11. Mike MA, Aug 14, 2019 at 5:00 AM
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 5:05 AM

Mike MA macrumors 68020

Mike MA

Well, the thing is it could have also been a pishing attempt. So this is legitimate information sharing if you ask me.

12. catfish743 macrumors 6502

catfish743

I for one can confirm that some people did receive it for the right reason. Back before iCloud email accounts could be used as your Apple ID (only changed around 2015 I think) I used my gmail account as my Apple ID username. On my iPhone, my account ID still reads as my gmail account, even though a few years ago when iCloud was allowed to be the username, I went through and changed it. Or at least I thought I did until recently when I saw it was still gmail when you clicked on my name in settings. One thing I don’t think I ever did change was my original iTunes username and since the iPhone and Apple ID and all of this originally stemmed from those username/password systems maybe that’s where the problem popped up. A lot of people when signing up and creating these new accounts or rolling over old accounts into new services didn’t always pay attention to what was what. And since Apple had placed that limitation at the early stages of iCloud (I even had a @me address for a while I think back when that service was available whose name escapes me before my first cup of coffee...MobileMe was it?) that an iCloud username couldn’t be self referential, it had to link to an outside email address separate from
    Apple’s services, then I can see how lots and lots of users could have ended up with the same problem, if the marketing team was pulling some overarching outdated username email to cross reference with the people who signed up. Because I know I put the iCloud address in the Apple Card signup box. Anyway, just my two cents.

13. timmyyak macrumors newbie

I contacted Apple when I got this email to make sure nothing fishy was going on and that they had the right email. The rep on the phone also told me that if you are running iOS 13 Beta you may not get through the entire application and it will error out.

14. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

What's really weird is I clicked and held on MR link to sign up and it was a long obscure link. I opened it on a background tab and it failed, reloaded the link and then it opened Apple's page. Weird. Signed up again. ;-)

15. tcannizz macrumors member

It’s funny-I got my actual invite on Monday, I signed up and was approved, etc!

Then yesterday I got the email described in the article, even though I already was approved and have the card (not the physical one yet) and am using it.

So yeah, definitely seems like apple is having some issues

16. NikRib macrumors newbie

NikRib

Got mine.
    Works great!
    Physical card arrived, too!
    Works at stores.
    No problems.
    No confusion, here

17. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

08E7C194-7E5D-4F8B-ACEE-AC17648E71D2.jpeg Like this:

I guess it's okay. Just tracking clicks.

18. AZMecha macrumors regular

AZMecha

Hmm As some have commented already, this has not happened to me but I am curious is jus iCloud email alias or other 3rd party accounts. As I use still a .mac & .me alias so might be a distro email group mess up

19. wolverineguy77 macrumors newbie

wolverineguy77

Definitely having the same problem, and definitely used the correct email. (btw, mine is a gmail alias so I’m not having the iCloud issue as hypothesized above)

20. timmyyak macrumors newbie

I use my gmail account and I got the email.

21. NikRib macrumors newbie

NikRib

Got similar issues stating to fix my AppleID On my AppleTV, when there was nothing wrong with my AppleID!.
    I’m on 13 beta on my AppleTV, but not my iPhone.
    I had no issues with AppleCard sign-up.
    Could very well be a beta issue if you are on the beta on your iPhone!

phone

22. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

I tried to send an email to my old Mac email address I use for my Apple ID from aol and it fails. I wonder why it works for some? Never worked for me after they shut it down.

"Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.
    <mymacaddress@mac.com>:
    550: 5.1.1 <mymacaddress@mac.com>: user does not exist"

23. PickUrPoison macrumors 601

No reason for you to be confused. But if you used your AppleID for the signup, then got an email telling you that you didn’t, that might be confusing.

Nice you already got the card though!

24. travoose macrumors member

travoose

It seems Apple and email/internet services don’t have a great track record.

I got an email invite last week; it didn’t work. Called Apple and was basically told that I was not on the approved list...so then why did I get an invite?

25. tridley68 macrumors 6502a

tridley68

Had problems with activation as well had to place a call for help to senior Apple tech at Goldman Sachs said i would be getting a call back in 3-5 days after they look into the problems i was having.