Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
$4.99 is such an incredible expense. I cannot believe how anyone in their right mind would fork over such a tremendous sum. I cannot sleep at night knowing this expense is hitting my bank account. Every month mind u.

I mean I should shovel away my money on not just 1 subscription, but all these apps that are converting the subscription model that are so useless to me. I'm never going to watch 90% of TV+ content, so Apple should definitely keep taking my $5. Every month mind u.

Wow, you're so right. Can you manage my money for me? I love to lose money.

Reactions: topdrawer

handsomekilla

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2017
Is the offer to get one year free with a device purchase a one-time only offer? i bought an Apple device in February and got a free year, but since then I’ve bought an iPad and an Apple Watch too, but it doesn’t look like those purchases have extended my subscription.

On the other hand those devices were registered to Apple IDs for people in my family (in my Apple family plan, to be specific), so I wonder if that is why the subscription was not extended?

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
A few shows I liked, but not worth paying every month for. Was hoping buying an Apple product every year would continue to get it free, but I guess that was a one shot/year deal. I still might get it a couple months a year to binge.

fithian

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Eastern PA
When I canceled my AppleTV+ it noted that service would continue until the expiration date, not stop immediately. Same with other subscriptions I have.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
I don’t know about anyone else here, but I pay $9.99 a month for 2tb of iCloud, $14.99 a month for Apple Music family, and $4.99 for arcade. When apple one launches, I’ll pay the same amount I’m paying now and get free news+ fitness+ and tv+. So, I’ll be getting it for free as soon as this launches and I can’t wait!

Nope, that's my scenario too. You aren't alone and it'll end up being a great deal.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
I recently cancelled my free one year member a few days ago. I had it free for one year and I only used it once to watch the Tom Hanks movie Greyhound. Other than that, I have never used it and I never wanted to.

Dorv

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2008
I've tried For All Mankind, Defending Jacob, The Morning Show - they're decent shows. But given the Apple branding and spending on content deals, you would have expected it to be heads and shoulders above Amazon and Netflix. For a limited time at least, John Wick 3: Parabellum was free on Prime. Amazon is more well rounded in terms of a mix of original content, reruns, and popular movies.

Other than the salaries for The Morning Show, I don't think they are outspending the other streamers.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
With what Apple has recently released, (Ted Lasso, Tiny World, Tehran and hopefully more soon) I renewed at the yearly price. If that had not happened, I would have canceled.
Ted Lasso was fantastic. I'm almost halfway through Tiny World and it's also great. Going to give Mythic Quest a go after that. I delayed signing up so my free trial doesn't until until a few months from now.

rob559

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2013
My free sub runs out next May. Will see how things go next few months. TMS was ok, For all mankind was good, looking forward to season 2, Mythic Quest was good, halfway through Ted Lasso and that is better than I was expecting. Will watch Greyhound soon. Its been reported that a new spy show Slow Horses with Gary Oldman has been signed but delayed because of covid. The books its based on are terrific! hopefully they start production soon on that. I will decide next may.

Reactions: MikeSmoke

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Word of mouth is circulating about AppleTV and some of the quality shows being produced. The best selling point is the price $4.99. Great value.
With cinemas closing and people still hesitant to visit them due to COVID-19, I also foresee the various streaming services, especially Apple, using this opportunity to snap out movies that would otherwise have been destined for the big screen. As such, I am expecting a few more huge titles to come to TV+ next year.

Reactions: SidricTheViking

SidricTheViking

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2014
Reading the PSA & these responses, I haven't been able to definitively conclude whether or not a 1-year free trial is still available with the purchase of an existing iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, etc... I assume the answer is no. When I look at those products on BB.com it lists them as coming with a free 4-month sub to either Apple Music/Apple News or both. Nothing about Apple TV+.

I just haven't seen any definitive end date to when a new product could be purchased to still get the trial.
The 1-year free trial is still available with the purchase of many Apple products.

SidricTheViking

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2014
Is the offer to get one year free with a device purchase a one-time only offer? i bought an Apple device in February and got a free year, but since then I’ve bought an iPad and an Apple Watch too, but it doesn’t look like those purchases have extended my subscription.

On the other hand those devices were registered to Apple IDs for people in my family (in my Apple family plan, to be specific), so I wonder if that is why the subscription was not extended?
If you look at the footnotes near the bottom of this page, you’ll see that the offer applies to a ‘family group’.

raindogg

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2015
Brooklyn NY
They have maybe 3 good shows, they should leave it free until they have a nice roster going. Plus everything is PG, I know they like to be a Family Company, but there's a reason HBO and Netflix are winning the streaming wars.

• Haha
Reactions: JBGoode

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
Ted Lasso, For All Mankind and Mythic Quest alone are must watches for me. Ted Lasso might be the TV show of the year.

I've just started into Ted Lasso and it appeals to my quirky sense of humour, so I'll stick with it. Probably will become my winter exercise bike watch. Binged a good chunk of Mythic Quest and thought it was quite good.

Reactions: Dorv

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Let me state what I think is obvious... the new iPhones will be introduced likely next week, ship before the end of the month (at least the regular 12, the 12 Pro is rumored to arrive in November) and Apple One will launch on iPhone arrival day, so before October 31 so that Apple TV+ users can roll the service into the bundle.

Reactions: ipoddin

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
They have maybe 3 good shows, they should leave it free until they have a nice roster going. Plus everything is PG, I know they like to be a Family Company, but there's a reason HBO and Netflix are winning the streaming wars.

many of us will be switching to Apple One bundles this fall and in almost all circumstances Apple TV+ is included so in a way I'll still be getting it "free" because I'm still saving on all the other stuff I already subscribe to.
[automerge]1601997412[/automerge]
I've just started into Ted Lasso and it appeals to my quirky sense of humour, so I'll stick with it. Probably will become my winter exercise bike watch. Binged a good chunk of Mythic Quest and thought it was quite good.

Ted Lasso gets so good so quickly, by the end of the season its one of the best shows I've seen on television in many, many years.

Reactions: Dorv

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
All this talk about Apple TV, having only watched Central Park (which I loved), I've just watched the first ep of Tehran. Brilliant. I'll be watching the rest.

SidricTheViking

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2014
Sadly, many of the shows are far from PG. I had to skip See, Ted Lasso, Mythic Quest, The Morning Show, Servant after a few episodes because of the non-family Friendster content. I’m hoping for more family appropriate content in the coming months. Even For All Mankind, Little Voice and Long Way Up have occasional foul language, which is disappointing! I hope Apple broadens the selection to cater for all types. Quality-wise what I’ve watched has been top notch. I’m really hoping that Foundation won’t be made unsuitable for family viewing. A show I’m really looking forward to.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Let me state what I think is obvious... the new iPhones will be introduced likely next week, ship before the end of the month (at least the regular 12, the 12 Pro is rumored to arrive in November) and Apple One will launch on iPhone arrival day, so before October 31 so that Apple TV+ users can roll the service into the bundle.

exactly this. its all lining up before 11/1.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
I’m already good until November 2021. I subscribed for a year shortly after Apple TV+ was launched. Then my wife bought me an iPad 7 for my birthday and I got and extra year free. I understand it’s only been a year and it is a work in progress. Why some haters crapped on it immediately just shows their true nature and motive. Again, the types that post here do not reflect the market reality.

paulsonj72

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010

If you got on a device under your Apple ID you can’t get it again when you purchase another device and set it up with the same Apple ID. I bought an iPad after purchasing my iPhone and I couldn’t redeem it on my iPad as I had redeemed it on my iPhone.

Last edited:

Dorv

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2008
First? No.

Second? Absolutely false. This is the comment of someone who has literally watched NONE of these shows. I'm not defending See as an example of a good show, but it literally had a scene where someone mastrabated as a form of prayer. That's not something you see on something PG. Please know what you're talking about before you make a comment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.