PSA: There's No iOS 11.2 Beta for iPhone X, so Beta Testers Can't Restore From Backup [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 3, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Developers and public beta testers who installed the iOS 11.2 beta on their devices earlier this week will be disappointed to learn that there's no iOS 11.2 beta for the iPhone X as of yet, and therefore no way to restore from an existing iOS 11.2 backup on a new iPhone X.

If you're running iOS 11.2 on your existing iPhone and create an iCloud backup, that backup is not going to be compatible with the iPhone X.

[​IMG]

New iPhone X owners who want to restore from a backup will need to wait for Apple to release a version of iOS 11.2 for the iPhone X or downgrade back down to iOS 11.1.

It's not entirely clear when Apple plans to release a beta of iOS 11.2 for the iPhone X.

It could happen today now that the iPhone X is out in the wild and there are customers who can't restore, but Apple could also choose to wait until it's time for the second beta to be released, which means public beta testers and developers will be left over the weekend without a restore option.

The other alternative to restoring is to set a device up as new, but that requires re-downloading all apps and re-entering a lot of information, which is a time consuming process.

Out of the box, iPhone X models appear to have iOS 11.0.1 installed, so the iOS 11.1 update will need to be installed over-the-air or via iTunes after opening it up. When restoring from an iOS 11.1 backup onto an iPhone X, it appears the iOS 11.1 update will be installed on the device automatically.

Update: Apple has released a new beta of iOS 11.2 for the iPhone X.

Article Link: PSA: There's No iOS 11.2 Beta for iPhone X, so Beta Testers Can't Restore From Backup [Updated]

2. melancholy macrumors 6502

melancholy

So if I downgrade my iPhone 7, what will happen when I repair my iPhone X with a future 4.2 Apple Watch software?

3. codydale macrumors member

codydale

Is that really true? So what is the recommended course of action for those of us that get our devices today in that position?

4. Dougntosh macrumors newbie

Dougntosh

--- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2017 ---
    IM NOT A BETA USER AND STILL CANT RESTORE FROM BACK UP! WTF!!!!

Attached Files:

5. man02195 macrumors regular

i should have read the fine print... have a month old backup i restored for now, come on apple, you can do it

6. BuffyzDead macrumors member

BuffyzDead

Doh !!!

Thats me, ...iPhone 7 under Beta v11.2 (15C5092b)
    though my X won't arrive till this coming Monday.

I just might do a fresh, as new install

My iPhone 7 has software/updates, going back ~10 years

7. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

I must say I was surprised that the X had 11.0.x out of the box and not 11.1. However, they did make a nice change that allows for software updates as part of the setup/restoration process, so I didn't have to set up manually, then update, then wipe, then setup again. All in all this is becoming a much more seamless process with each year. Transferring the Apple Watch to the new phone was especially easy this time.

8. vdgroodt macrumors member

vdgroodt

Honestly, i was already planning for a fresh instal. Never hurts for the storage nor performance + it has never been so easy with pictures, music and all the rest being sincronised via iCloud..

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Well what version is your X on and what version was the backup. Likely your backup is 11.1 and the X is 11.0.3. Update the X then restore.

10. hetrigger macrumors regular

hetrigger

I just got my sexiness...glad I saw this before total freakout occurred!!!

11. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Start fresh, no other option till a new beta of ios 11.2 for iPhone X drops.

12. whyamihere macrumors 6502

whyamihere

Not for me. Restored from an encrypted backup in iTunes (not iCloud) and I first had to set up the X as new, then update to 11.1, then I was able to restore.

13. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

My suggestion would be to download 11.1 IPSW and while holding Option key (IIRC), click update. It should let you “update” to 11.1. I did it a few times myself.

14. asdavis10 macrumors 6502

asdavis10

I figured as much and stayed at 11.1 for this exact reason.

15. dumastudetto macrumors 68040

Yes, I'm very surprised Apple didn't release an external iOS beta for a phone nobody had received yet.

16. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

17. john991 macrumors 68000

But what happens to your data and your health data?

18. georgeedwardg macrumors member

georgeedwardg

Ugh. I wasn't planning on this, but doesn't sound onerous. Will likely go the same route. Thankfully I opted for courier delivery so can hold onto my current iPhone for a few days to make sure everything is setup to my liking. I suppose those that opted for in-store pickup are in for a bit of a headache.

19. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

It should stay there because you are doing an update, not restore.

20. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

So that's why my restore from backup failed.. I did it instore and it gave an error message right at the end. :(

21. rjjacobson macrumors 6502a

rjjacobson

I sorta expected this so not testing beta on my iPhone 7Plus but at 11.0.3 not even 11.1 yet keep ignoring it ;-)

So I keep forgetting what happens do they in iTunes note that there is 11.1 and let you install that first since the X has 11.0.2 and my phone backups are at 11.0.3? I will have to read carefully when I plug my X into iTunes ;-)

22. iPhone_X macrumors member

iPhone_X

Glad I only beta test in the summer. Yikes! I'd rather wait a week for a beta than go through the process of manually restoring everything. Been there, done that.

23. rjjacobson macrumors 6502a

rjjacobson

I left my 7Plus and its backups at 10.0.3 maybe should have stayed at 10.0.2 for simple restore. Hopefully it will be easy to get my X ready to restore from that I know as I recall from last year (I did not do easy way) there was a message to put latest release on phone first wish I had done that took a bit longer. Oh well my phone is one way coming Monday ;-)

24. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

but you're backing up regularly and have a prior backup, right? right??

25. rjjacobson macrumors 6502a

rjjacobson

I always do -- encrypted so passwords are saved, and archived also. I have 3 archived still, first one October 5 is 11.0.2, and the others more recent are both 11.0.3 so maybe this will be simpler ;-)

I was also planning preordering one of the X's so as part of my plan I got the release 11.0 on my 7Plus and have just been putting (and backing up) the supplements releases no betas on phone ran into that issue once and learned to plan for my upgrades ;-)