Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ISanych

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2013
UK
No the Devs killed their apps.
Nope. Imagine dev is dead, I could still use his app on windows, often 10 - 20 years after release. Apple model is different, it killed these apps, and users don't have much choice on such tightly controlled platform.

Now tell me nice story how dead developer must support his/her apps (I use extreme example to make you understand that it is Apple decision). Again - I don't know if they right or wrong. I personally use Windows on my Macs, migrated from iPhone (but not from iPad yet) and don't use Apple only services, so I would not be tied to Apple ecosystem, where I don't have control or choice.
[doublepost=1505827651][/doublepost]
If they were that useful then why did the developers abandon them?
Because they were not profitable, because developer died or moved to something else. Useful not equal to profitable, developer has no obligation to continue to support app forever, Apple also has no such obligation.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
On this note, I'm still on an iPhone 6, and really concerned that iOS 11 will make it even slower, right now it's OK. Now I know I can always delete iOS 11 download to prevent it from installing, but my question is, is there a way to prevent my iPhone from downloading iOS 11 update altogether?

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Yes, devs abandoned apps (for various reasons), but it's Apple who killed these apps. I don't know if they right or wrong, but there are only 2 sides here: Apple and app users

Doesn't matter who's 'right' or 'wrong.' It's happening and there's no going back. On the Apple Discussion Forums there's a section for those still using OS 9, people struck forever in the past like "The Land That Time Forgot."

Reactions: bwintx

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
So maybe Apple should just withhold a significant %-age of revenues from devs and return it to them annually if they keep the app updated and in step with iOS. It isn't as if Apple haven't made major changes before (eg the change to intel chipset in iMac) - the world didn't end. However there should be some degree of certainty that apps will be supported by the devs for more than five minutes.
they allready markup 30% .. you want 50% .. better they flock to other os ? Even in app android and ios diff value .

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
Classics (Dragon's Lair, Midway Arcade bundle, Activision Anthology, and deliciously awful Gridlee which got special mention here).

Dragon's Lair, and its sequel, were rereleased by Digital Leisure a few years back and available to buy in the App Store (old 32-bit version was from Electronic Arts).

I've read some developers didn't want to update old 32-bit apps because dev tools were outdated and they would need to rebuild from scratch for basically free since there is no way to users to pay for updates. What some are doing are rereleasing older apps as 64-bit "remastered" versions that you would have to rebuy again. Considering the low cost on a lot of these games I'm okay with that.

Reactions: Kabeyun

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Yup, so you can make the choice not to update your device.
For now, but you will be forced to update eventually when developers of still supported apps stop supporting iOS X. Already iOS 8.4.1 on my iPad Air 2 is being treated as obsolete, and it was discontinued two years ago, so I would say iOS X users have only about 2 years before the same happens to it...
Good bye Flappy Bird. :( Worst game ever, but I held on to it for nostalgia reasons.
Flappy Bird is 32-bit? That's too bad. I'll still play it occasionally to pass the time.

honam1021

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
Not wanting to support legacy apps in the latest OS is one thing, but I could see a possible class action coming when Apple stops signing 10.3.3

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

Suspended
Aug 29, 2015
Yes, but who's doing the abandoning?

Remember Apple took a 30% cut of the app revenue.

All the iOS 11 devices are 64 bit and the 64 bit started with iPhone 5s. It is 4 years already, which was a plenty of time for the developer to update the app. If they don't, they abandon the app, which means abandonware by developer.

The technology is constantly evolving
and in many cases, the legacy is big.

But, would you rather stop the evolution,
or the older stuff? Why bother with 64 bit
devices when you can have 8bit Tetris console? The unfortunate thing with technology, is, that there are ALWAYS compromises

30% cut doesn't enter to it, does it.
The apps are still available on the <iOS 11
You are not loosing the apps itself, just the support in newer OS. Stay on older release and ask the developer to update.

I, for one, keep an old device for old apps.
It is pain in the arse, but ios is constantly changing. iOS 6 all the way for me.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Then don't use Apple. Simple no? Why make yourself so stressed out over some gadgets?
I'd be happy to be less stressed, but however Apple develops the only UNIX system that works out of the box and behaves like I wish it to behave (and I'm talking just MacOS here). However, the Apple strategies from these years, making it hard to maintain old machines and imposing difficulties to make your apps compatible with older machines, help me not to forget that I shouldn't depend on Apple as much as I currently do.

But it's not easy to have a plan for not depending too much on Apple. So, it's clear why I'm stressed about Apple: I want MacOS, but I want it with the kind of long-term support and long-term compatibility that Apple used to offer in the past. There's no easy solution.

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
If they were that useful then why did the developers abandon them?

There could be many reasons. Maybe some small handy apps were made by one or two guys and they just moved on in their personal lives. Maybe some larger ones moved to an IAP ideology and abandoned their early work. Who knows.

tw1ll

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
they allready markup 30% .. you want 50% .. better they flock to other os ? Even in app android and ios diff value .
I didn't suggest Apple keep it, just that they retain it for a period to encourage sustained customer support over time.......

Dremmel

macrumors regular
May 25, 2017
I know, and apps don’t have to be rewritten in 64 bit. Just a couple of tweaks here and there, hence the analogy which was obviously totally lost on you.
It was a lame analogy to be fair. App developers have to do a tonne of work to update their apps. It is expensive too what with new artwork and testing. Hardback books pretty much have exactly the same text and the softbacks.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
A very good article on it here.

They looked at various people updating their IOS apps from 32 bit to 64 bit.

The time it took was anywhere from 3 hours to 3 months. In the longer updates, the people had to re-write a majority of their code.

It isn't just a cut and paste in many cases to update (like some people seem to think).

Dremmel

macrumors regular
May 25, 2017
The problem is most of those 32 bit app developers have found more success on Android. There is little chance of them coming back to Apple. Time to bite the bullet and find an alternative, or stick with IOS 10. You will still find new old stock IOS 10 devices on Ebay in 30 years time, so no need to upgrade unless you want to.
[doublepost=1505832010][/doublepost]
So maybe Apple should just withhold a significant %-age of revenues from devs and return it to them annually if they keep the app updated and in step with iOS. It isn't as if Apple haven't made major changes before (eg the change to intel chipset in iMac) - the world didn't end. However there should be some degree of certainty that apps will be supported by the devs for more than five minutes.
What's 50% of nothing? I think that's why they left.

Reactions: Plutonius

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
I didn't suggest Apple keep it, just that they retain it for a period to encourage sustained customer support over time.......
allready give long time .. But mostly for me the cost of develop and profit this platform terribly low.. And most of them maybe one time deliver to customer not having permanent staff.. Software developer always jump or make their own software because of the salary wise.

hounslowfish

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
I can't believe I might have to give up playing Doom (yes, I still do)!

Anyone know if a 64-bit version or clone is available?

There have been several "clones" based on the original Doom source code. All it needs is for one of these developers to recompile their code and we are back in action!

Or if you want to make a few $$$, and can compile yourself, now would be an opportune moment to post a 64-bit compiled version on the app store! I'm sure someone will...

Source code is here:
https://github.com/id-Software/DOOM-IOS2

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Dragon's Lair, and its sequel, were rereleased by Digital Leisure a few years back and available to buy in the App Store (old 32-bit version was from Electronic Arts).

I've read some developers didn't want to update old 32-bit apps because dev tools were outdated and they would need to rebuild from scratch for basically free since there is no way to users to pay for updates. What some are doing are rereleasing older apps as 64-bit "remastered" versions that you would have to rebuy again. Considering the low cost on a lot of these games I'm okay with that.
Thx for the tip, and agreed. If consumers collectively are too chintzy to pay a whole couple of dollars for an app we like we'll see devs apply their talents elsewhere.

Cesar Battistini

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2017
Brazil
I will not update to iOS 11.
I have 13 apps that I use regularly that are not supported anymore. They work just fine, but they won't be updated because developers disappeared years ago. I'll have to buy a replacement for every app, but, in most cases, alternatives are worse than what I already have, and in some cases there are no replacements at all.

Wow! I wonder what apps are so great they got abandoned! And no replacements where made......

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
What nonsense. There's no reason why a 32-bit application can't run on a 64-bit operating system. How is forgetting about the past moving forward? Surely embracing what came before, the doing more is true progress.

It is not nonsense. It is time to move on and Apple is a leader in this industry at pushing things forward so technology can better evolve. Apple has a long history of this and I’m actually thankful for it.

Remember how heavy and large laptops used to be? The same outcry happened when Apple removed the CD/DVD from laptops. Look at where we are at today because of that single decision. It did not just give us lighter and smaller laptops, it also helped to usher in a new era of digital delivery content. Just think of how that has evolved over the last few years and where we are at today.

Apple moves things forward and the benefits of everything operating at 64-bits are huge. You have to look at the big picture. And besides, is this really Apple’s fault? No, it is the fault of developers that have abandoned their products. Everyone’s dissatisfaction should be directed at them.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Nope. Imagine dev is dead, I could still use his app on windows, often 10 - 20 years after release. Apple model is different, it killed these apps, and users don't have much choice on such tightly controlled platform.

Now tell me nice story how dead developer must support his/her apps (I use extreme example to make you understand that it is Apple decision). Again - I don't know if they right or wrong. I personally use Windows on my Macs, migrated from iPhone (but not from iPad yet) and don't use Apple only services, so I would not be tied to Apple ecosystem, where I don't have control or choice.
[doublepost=1505827651][/doublepost]
Because they were not profitable, because developer died or moved to something else. Useful not equal to profitable, developer has no obligation to continue to support app forever, Apple also has no such obligation.

Developer dead? Did said dev take the steps to make sure his/her partners take over the app? Or set up necessary steps to inform Apple if such a case arises?

No?

Then that’s on the dev. If you put something out to market. It is your responsibility to ensure it works. Especially if people purchased it.
I myself bought an App that the dev abandoned since iOS 9.

ISanych

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2013
UK
Developer dead? Did said dev take the steps to make sure his/her partners take over the app? Or set up necessary steps to inform Apple if such a case arises?

No?

Then that’s on the dev. If you put something out to market. It is your responsibility to ensure it works. Especially if people purchased it.
I myself bought an App that the dev abandoned since iOS 9.
Yes, also developer must send birthday greetings cards to you and your grandchildren and their grandchildren.

shastada

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2015
Sounds more like an issue developers need to get sorted out ASAP.
Vast majority are no longer being developed and will just disappear. Don't expect a developer to update an app that hasn't been touched in 5+ years. I have one that was a v1.0 released in 2011. Never received an update since the first release... pretty sure the developer isn't going to touch that one, it's now officially dead. Others may have been pulled from the app store altogether. I have one of each such apps and just resign to the fact they will no longer be used. (both are kids games that my son rarely plays anymore).

psionicsin

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2011
Metro-Detroit, MI
I'm not understanding the pushback here. This, again, is a case of people thinking of themselves instead of the overall growth of innovation.

To clear some of this up:
  • If an app hasn't been updated in 1-2+ years, get rid of it
  • 32bit vs 64bit isn't just about accessible RAM
  • Supporting 2 architectures is a headache for a developer (1st hand knowledge)
  • Lack of upstream software support and upstream security support on 32bit adds to this
  • Servers for apps that are still supporting 32bit are usually 32bit servers. Meaning that upgrading server CPUs and hardware that you'd want for the longevity of an app, would nix this. A phase out. Even Linux is dropping 32bit support officially.
  • Servers pulling double duty for 32bit and 64bit apps are pulling double architecture cycle duty, which is inefficient.
  • Cross-compiling is a REASONABLE feature, but final binaries are best compiled natively (due to potential compiler quirks)
  • 64bit is superior to 32bit because of the amount of data that can be processed in one cycle (64bit vs 32bit processed chunks). More data processed = faster applications = people NOT complaining about a device or app being slow.
  • Also everything that they announced (IR dot matrix camera, 4k@60/1080p@240, etc) would be nearly impossible to do on 32bit architecture. The bottleneck struggle would be insane.
So THAT is why they're 100% 64bit. It's not a cash money scheme, it's the natural evolution of technology and product lines.

And please do not use Microsoft/Windows as a counter argument. The ONLY reason that they still support 32bit apps is because Microsoft had a long-time stronghold on nearly every Fortune 100 company, with developers that locked them into that architecture by deploying massive data sets on top Microsoft exclusive products that would take a very long time to re-do. This hurt the feel-bads of those corporations which screamed in outrage and, in order to not lose their place and foothold in the many sectors they're servicing, Microsoft complied with their demands for 32bit support. You wouldn't believe some of the Microsoft messes I've walked into when restructuring a corporations architecture and data infrastructure.

Oh, and for those of you not updating your iOS version...I really hope that your phone isn't used for mission critical things. Those updates aren't just for flashy new interactions, there's also VERY IMPORTANT security updates that you're not getting. So when you get hacked or data mined, do not complain.

Trying to please everyone is a recipe for disaster, and never works. You have to do what's best for the advancement of usability and technology, and people will slowly but surely conform.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.