Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
True, but only for 'active' development apps, no for inactive.. It's not developers job to keep updating every single app they have ever made.., At one point you do have to retire and move on... Trouble is, is uses like these apps, are the new ones on the store are rubbish, then there is no obligation/or forced on to the user to update these apps just so they must update iOS will will probably cause other apps to not work either..

Apart from security issues, it's totally the uses decision. in all cases. This is why before any app update i read what is included, otherwise i won't update an app.
Yeah, true, but what about those expensive apps e.g. academic apps costing 50 dollars or more? Something like that occurs, i don't think these consumers want to buy apps again if dev don't update them.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
What are the reasons for a 64 bit OS not to support 32 bit apps? Are the reasons true in a day to day sense?

frees up OS development resources/engineers.
frees up OS 'weight'.

likely signifies a move by Apple to processors that don't support 32-bit processing (frees up some die space which allows for more performance or more advanced functionality in equal space)..
not even sure if this will happen but to me, on first guess, is the main reason Apple is dropping 32bit app support.. a long term move towards 64bit-only processors.

all of those ones are things users will benefit from.

subsequent reasoning could be smthng like.. it allows a way for Apple to clean house by getting rid of tons of abandoned apps.. (like- all apps could be updated to 64bit.. some developers don't care to do it though or have abandoned the project)

----
also, i believe they're doing this with macOS as well.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Yeah, true, but what about those expensive apps e.g. academic apps costing 50 dollars or more? Something like that occurs, i don't think these consumers want to buy apps again if dev don't update them.

True,,,, Of curse if u pay good money that is always a seperate issue.

frees up OS development resources/engineers.
frees up OS 'weight'..

and deprecate old code.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Apple has not widely publicized the imminent lack of support for 32-bit apps, so when older apps stop working tomorrow, it could come as a shock to the users who are still have them installed and use them regularly.

This article seems to assume that every is being forced to update to iOS 11 tomorrow as soon as it's available. :)

That being said, as the article notes, they've warned users who launch 32-bit apps on the last few iOS 10 releases that the app needs to be updated in order to keep working (and before that that it could "slow down" your iOS device). If people didn't see this, they didn't launch the app, and it's likely they don't really use it.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
I'm not convinced there is a better calculator than Digits so no 64 bit equivalent. But I'd love for someone to suggest a 64 bit alternative.
Apple's Numbers.app comes with a template called 'Checklist Total'..
seems like that would be a replacement for Digits..

if you don't know how to use Numbers, using this template should make it easy to keep the Digits.app functionality (well, what i think Digits does).. without needing to learn much about Numbers.app

?

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Great news. If developers can't update their apps, I want them off my device.

I have apps that have worked just fine since 2009 that never went retina, much less 64-bit.

That said, I wish the developers would open-source them so those of us with development skills could update them. iTimeZone is my big one; I deal with multiple time zones on a daily basis, and it does the math for me. Unlike the other apps, this one displays the actual time zone (GMT-8, GMT+8) which is handy for plowing through logs. When you have a user reporting a problem in one time zone, support reporting it in another, and the logs are in UTC it's a lifesaver.

TheScribe

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2012
Wherever I am.
I'm only losing Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3...but I still play all 3 so that may be enough to at least postpone upgrading.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Well I "lost" an app that I invested around $1,000 dollars in. Yes, you read that amount correct. At least I saw it coming. I bought an app called Mantis Study Bible. I was able to add different study resources through in app purchases. Their customer service stopped responding a long while back.

The thing I didn't really agree with (not that my opinion matters) is that the Mantis app was still showing available in the app store including all their in app purchases until I upgraded to iOS 11 beta. It seems people could still spend $ even on a dead app that was about to be cut.

By the way, I don't blame Apple for any of this. Technology advances. It's not Apples fault that apps haven't updated. They were warned.

Reactions: tgara and sracer

calzon65

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
I normally rush out and download the latest update when it's first released, but for the first time in about ten years, I think I will hold off on the first version or two of IOS 11 and let it and the app community stabilize a bit.

Reactions: dampfnudel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.