PSP Go! (PSP2) Wishlist

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by hummerdude23, May 6, 2009.

1. hummerdude23 macrumors newbie

With all the rumors flying around about the next-gen PSP I thought i'd start a PSP Go wish-list. I don't really like the current PSP at all (I had one but sold it and got an iPod Touch) but if Sony adds some much needed improvements I might consider buying one. Here it is.

- Dual Analog Sticks!!! Why wasn't this on the original??? First Person Shooters, may favorite type of games, are so much harder to play without that second analog stick...
    - No more UMD!!!

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

+ I'd like the ability to at least rip my UMD games to this device. It'd be the most epic of short sightedness if this thing won't play old PSP games.
    + Dual analogue sticks. Not nubs. Something inbetween.
    + At least 16gb storage. PSP games can be massive after all.
    + Decent screen, free of ghosting and interlacing.
    + Either allow homebrew (unlikely) or make an iPhone style PSP store and release a free, cutdown SDK.
    + 10 hour battery life.
    + PS2 emulation.

Just ordered a stockpile of rabbits feet too.

3. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

It would be nice if it had 802.11g so it doesn't bring my entire network to a halt when using it.

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I'm willing to be tea and crumpets that none of those will be make it. (well... MAYBE the 16GB storage...)

5. -SD- macrumors 6502

The PSP Go! really isn't a PSP 2, it's a UMD-less version of the PSP with a different form factor. It will be sold alongside the current PSP 3000. The overall spec of the unit will remain the same and there will not be two analogue sticks/nubs. The unit could however feature a built-in Go! Cam and GPS as these are part of the PSP hardware spec.

Battery life should be increased as there's no UMD drive to be powered. I'd really like it if this was the PSP model that Sony deemed worthy of a decent screen and a decent d-pad would also be a wonderful thing. There will be a choice of either 8GB or 16GB of internal storage.

There's not going to be any way to legitimately rip your current UMDs for use with this unit. Apart from the huge can of legal worms you'd be unleashing, Sony just wont have it. Want to play UMDs? Use your current PSP. Capcom are ramping up the amount of PSP/PSone games available on PSN and I'm sure others will follow suit. By the time the Go! is released there will be a good 150 or so games available for it on PSN.

I'm really quite impressed with the step that Sony is going by taking the PSP download-only. The rampant piracy has in many ways driven them to it, but it's a good indication of the future. I'm certainly looking forward to E3 in June so we hopefully get to see the new machine; I'm really quite interested in buying one.

:apple:

6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Wow.. you sure know a lot!!! Whats your Sony Employee ID? Cause you seem to know more than anyone right now.. Way to make blanket statements without really knowing what you are talking about... :rolleyes:

7. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

this is probably one way to prevent pirating of games through the UMD

well anyways with it being UMD-less and touch screen slide up screen or whatever. i guess it sorta suits the added "GO" to the psp. makes it sound and better act like its on the go gaming.

8. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

We'll see who has the last laugh once all that comes to pass :)

9. capoeirista macrumors 6502

I have to say I do agree with most of -SD-'s guesses (even if (s)he is from the Posh;))

This isn't PSP 2, it's PSP 1.5, and part of Sony's rebranding of the system, which is going hand-in-hand with the download only experiment (in the US) of Patapon 2.

I don't think there'll be 2 analogue sticks as it would split the market. That'll be on the PSP2 I reckon...

10. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

How would 2 analog sticks split the market? I assume most games would be capable of either, but some (like shooters) would benefit from the dual sticks.

11. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I've wondered the same thing. Probably that devs would feel less inclined to design their games around having on one stick and just make it for two. Look at a game like Resistance: Retribution, the controls and game is balanced to have one stick. They had to alter a bunch of crap to make it work well with the DS3 control scheme (if you play their silly plug n play method)

The real thing I don't get, is why people think it will stop piracy. A) They aren't going to STOP selling games on UMD for a while. Sure games like Patapon 2 aren't on UMD (but you can import them) but no way Sorny and third party devs are gonna wanna deprive themselves out of 29 million potential sales on big name games. and B) hackers aren't dumb, they will figure out how to hack the DRM on games, just like on PC games, and then stuff will flow on the torrents like always.

All I know, is they better get the damn design spot on. My hands already cramp up on my PSP (and my DSi for that matter) and making it smaller length wise probably isn't gonna help. A screen made of glass (a la iPhone) would be peachy too, less scratching. Chuck in bluetooth for wireless syncing, wireless g, L2/R2 buttons along with the second nub AND the rumors that Crapcom is bringing 100 games to PSone Store over the next few months..... That would be sooooo sweet..

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Just allow me to BC my old games and a second nub and I'll be cool with the PSP2(go or whatever it is)

Bless

13. mdelaney123 macrumors regular

Two Sticks

I had a PSP and HATED the controls. The new one MUST have TWO sticks and they must be better than the one that is already there!

Without that, it is a no sale for me.

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I don't know how this device is going to help any if not all the games are available.

I like the old-school and obscure games, which are doubtful will be available download for PSPGo!

It will be a compliment to the Sony's console lineup, like when Nintendo released that tiny pocket Gameboy...

Sony would have to do the third parties a "favor" and make their PSP games available for download so that every single title is available.

The next question is, would a person want to buy the games over again?

Sorta cool, though - don't have to carry around all those discs.

I would like to see at least my faves (I won't mention the Sony games, as obviously Sony will make them available).

Atari Classics
    BattleZone
    Star Trek Tactical Assault

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The irony of this is that Patapon 2 has been available on torrent sites before it was even released as a digital download from Sony.

It will not stop piracy.... nothing will...

16. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

^^^^ I would imagine so...

I mean, as a Game Collector, some games (whether on cart, or disc) are pretty rare. Yes, it'll cost some $$$ for the real thing, but if you just want to play, you can get the disc/ROM image somewhere...

I would imagine as PSPGo! is going towards software downloads, piracy would be more prevalent, especially if you can only get the game on UMD.

I"m actually thinking of getting one as to keep my UMD's in top condition, and use the PSPGo! with (pirated? not really, well, only games I own the UMD) softcopies of the games.

17. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I'd like to see this thing have 802.11N, lots of storage, be thin, and have a GREAT battery life. Also, the iPhone is really starting to catch up to PSP as far as graphics go. I can only imagine that the next iPhone release will eclipse the current PSP's graphical capabilities by a long shot. I'd like to see the PSP Go! REALLY up the ante on what we're used to seeing on portable graphics.

18. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

hahahahahahaha *fall down* ahhahaahhhaah

No really, great joke there. The iPhone doesn't hold a candle to the power the PSP has. Nor will it ever. Great for quick, dumb, i need something to hold me over for 5-10 minutes though.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nothing I've seen rendered on the iPhone comes close to PSP graphics.

But also if you look at how well the DS is doing you'll see that graphics= nothing. Original and high quality content= everything. And it's not the topic for it but the lack of real controls on an iPhone is really going to put a stop to big complex games, games that we have 10 a penny of on the DS and PSP, even the GBA.

20. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You said it better Jimmi, exactly what I was thinking! Stop reading my mind!!! :p

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

22. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I just want Squeenix to release FFVII-IX on PSP.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd like to see ports of the popular PS2 games like FFX, SotC and probably something else.

24. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

25. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Never said it was as powerful - i speculated that the NEXT iPhone would eclipse the CURRENT PSP in power. We will see.