Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If that's your response and thought process, you absolutely have lost the plot.

Quarterly calls and numbers on a spreadsheet are not equal to user experience.
I Don't know what you're talking about. Compromising customer satisfaction doesn't lead to more sales which presumably a so-called bean counter like Tim Cook would care about.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Well done 9to5Mac. Why do people expect external changes with an "s" model?

It'll be the same as the 6. Slightly thicker but of course they aren't going to get rid of the Home button.

That'll be for the iPhone 7 or iPhone 8!

It's the insides I want to learn about as that's where the major changes are.

teknishn

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2006
Im completely fine with it being a little thicker to accommodate force touch. I personally feel the 6 is too thin to begin with, but thats just me.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Kevsta26

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2011
USA
An astute observer will still be able to tell the differences between S models and their predecessor.

iPhone 3GS - text on back was in glossy white
iPhone 4S - antenna line breaks were symmetric on both sides
iPhone 5s - Touch ID sensor on front.

on the 6s, the text on the back might be in the San Francisco font?

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2010
I can hear the shrieks of horror already....ugh. Its frustrating because many complained that they'd rather have a phone that's slightly thinker with a larger battery. When they get it, they're going to complain, Business Insider is going to make a ton of articles about how it will affect sales, Samsung will make a dumb ad about it, yada, yada, yada.

Reactions: nordique

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
Not everyone uses a case. They want to enjoy the actual profile of the phone and few things (such as protruding camera) may bother them.
Honestly, my observation is that cases are a very declining trend. At least around here I hardly ever see anyone using a case anymore. I never understood why anyone would use a case anyway. Seems completely nonsensical and neurotic to me.

I really hope they shave off that stupid camera bump though. Easily one of the most obvious design flaws by Apple ever. It just completely goes against Apple's design philosophy as I understand it. 0.2 mm may not be enough for that (iirc the bump was like 0.7 mm), but maybe they have a thinner display technology, chassis, camera technology, glass etc. I'm hoping for the best.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I Don't know what you're talking about. Compromising customer satisfaction doesn't lead to more sales which presumably a so-called bean counter like Tim Cook would care about.
That’s not always true, though I can’t talk for this case directly. My company which will remain nameless, make some good products and some awful ones. (As does virtually every other company).
Some of the stuff we make goes wrong and on occasion a combination of bad design and bad service on our part coupled with bad timimg on the part of the customer can make the fix take months. (BTW, this can often be on critical data centre hardware).

One thing I cannot get my head around to this day is why the customer doesn’t just walk. He keep giving us, (a lot), of his money. I’m stunned.

Last edited:

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
The 4S and 5S have been the best iPhone releases..

I remain hopeful that the 6S could be something special...

But I fear that it's not looking that way from the rumour-mill.. And I'll be sticking with my 5S.

Edgar Spayce

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
I'm fine with adjusted .2mm more if it's not as ugly as the iPhone 6. Seriously those bordel, bezel, protuberant camera, antenna stripe and the space gay colors...I didn't buy it just because of that (because I'm not paying an extra crazy price for an ugly phone).

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
Maybe, but I’ve heard that the camera will be improved. The new hardware could be lower profile. If not then no sale here I’m afraid.

I don't like the camera ring either, but it's really a non-issue. Practically everyone uses a case on their phone anyway, and that keeps the camera from protruding. I'd prefer they make the phone slightly thicker mainly to beef up the battery.

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
Yup, bothers me enough not to buy it. That and the antenna breaks. For a company that are all about aesthetics, (apparently), the 6 is a travesty.

There is an easy way to get rid of it. A thicker phone. I’d prefer that.

Simple solution: a case. No antenna lines, no protruding camera. My phone is in a thin case and looks and feels great.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
The only downside here is that some cases may not fit anymore. The upside is the phone will be a bit more grippy. I've always thought the iPhone 6 felt a bit TOO thin.

Maybe the extra thickness will go to a slightly bigger battery too. That would be awesome.

Yeah, I was hoping to have secured a new case from the get-go when I get my hands on the 6S this fall.

Cases are already very form-fitting as they are, and a number of them may not work if Apple adjusts the thickness at all. Right?

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I'm fine with adjusted .2mm more if it's not as ugly as the iPhone 6. Seriously those bordel, bezel, protuberant camera, antenna stripe and the space gay colors...I didn't buy it just because of that (because I'm not paying an extra crazy price for an ugly phone).

It's going to look almost identical (probably). If you find the 6 ugly, you'll find this one ugly too... (well, unless you can develop a sense of taste by the time it comes out :p. jk, but I do think the 6/6+ look great.)

Reactions: Oblivious.Robot

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
The only downside here is that some cases may not fit anymore. The upside is the phone will be a bit more grippy. I've always thought the iPhone 6 felt a bit TOO thin.

Maybe the extra thickness will go to a slightly bigger battery too. That would be awesome.

.2mm is the thickness of 2 sheets of copy paper. You may notice it slightly but the majority of people will not. Apple will NOT increase the battery size because of this. It would not be cost effective to re-tool the line for an "S" release. Any major changes will happen with the release of the iPhone 7 in 2016. The camera ring will change then if any changes to it were to happen. Major redesign is not in the plans on an S model. Not sure why people would assume that. It's the same every year.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
If you want a product that's thicker with a bigger battery it's also heavier, more costly, takes longer to charge. - Phil Schiller
Did he really say that?

Must. Smack. Sense. Into. Phill Schiller.

I want to downsize to the 6s but I don't want crappy battery. Even my 6plus battery was sorely tested when it came time to travel with it and run it in tandem with my Apple Watch. It was my video camera and point and shoot and my GPS. It came through for me with some power to spare. I don't expect the 6 or 6s battery to perform like that, but the further in endurance it can get from the lousy performance of my 5s, the happier I'll be with the smaller phone.

A little bit of extra thickness and a slightly beefier battery and a little extra time on the charger (usually at night when I'm sleeping anyway) is a fair trade off to me, I'm spite of what P.S. may think. We are not talking about fattening it up to Palm Pilot thickness after all.

Lol, Jony Ive isn't exactly getting thinner, either (neither am I) so it's fitting that the 6s puts on a little girth, too.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
.2mm is the thickness of 2 sheets of copy paper. You may notice it slightly but the majority of people will not. Apple will NOT increase the battery size because of this. It would not be cost effective to re-tool the line for an "S" release. Any major changes will happen with the release of the iPhone 7 in 2016. The camera ring will change then if any changes to it were to happen. Major redesign is not in the plans on an S model. Not sure why people would assume that. It's the same every year.
No, they probably won't increase the battery size for the S models. I do hope they don't go thinner on the 7's though because at some point I'd like to see a bigger battery. The 6S will probably still see a battery boost from the more efficient processor. At least I hope so.

Eduardo Forneck

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2014
No, they probably won't increase the battery size for the S models. I do hope they don't go thinner on the 7's though because at some point I'd like to see a bigger battery. The 6S will probably still see a battery boost from the more efficient processor. At least I hope so.

Jony won't stop until you can only see the iphone from the front.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.