"Put the seat down..."

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Turkish, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Turkish macrumors 6502

You know, I don't get this.

Every now and then, I forget to put the seat down on the toilet in my office's shared bathroom and one of the women inevitably raises hell about it. I really do the best I can, but sometimes I just plain forget.

Why should I have to "prep" the toilet for you so you don't have to think about what you're doing before you sit down? I mean I did you the courtesy of lifting it in the first place (because I have to), so why shouldn't you have to check it before you sit down - I do.

I guess I have no idea why it's a God-given right to have the toilet prepared and ready for you every time they go to use it.

If I have to check to make sure the seat is down when I use it, why shouldn't you?

2. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Well, if you want to make it equitable, you could have an office rule that everyone puts the seat and lid down. In a way, I think that shows the most decorum.

3. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

My girlfriend doesn't care when I forget to put the seat down. It's when I forget to flush that really bothers her. :rolleyes:

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Office toilets usually don't have lids...at least where I've worked. Would be nice if they did though.

5. Turkish thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm speaking in general terms. When I lived at home, I would inevitably forget to put the lid down every once and a while and one of my sisters would bitch about it - even if they didn't sit down on the cold porcelain - just because they had to put the seat down.

6. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Why should you have to worry about seat position and not them?

Here is the scientific data as to why men shouldn't be in charge of putting the seat down:

link

7. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Was this ever an issue before sit-coms and the like brought it up? It's so stupid.

If a woman ever shouts at me for leaving the seat up, I moan about them leaving it down.

8. Turkish thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly my point.

I lift the seat as not to whizz all over it - why should I have to put it back down?

This comes up because this woman at work said "If I find the seat up again, I'm going to make a poster that says 'Times John has left the seat up' and put a mark on it each time you forget."

It's like me yelling at a woman to lift the seat up after she's done so I don't have to lift it myself.

9. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I agree that it should not be our responsibility to put the seat in the proper position for the next rest room occupant (I'm not psychic, what if it's a guy using it next?) I have found that the best training method is to get a dog that likes to both drink from the toilet, and lick your hand/leg/face as a sign of affection. Now it's rare for me to leave the seat up in any situation. I often close the full lid places where people have made the comment "we never close that."

10. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Then leave it down all the time and make her change the sign to the alternative. ;)

I put both down at home and it's only me and I'm male... just habit after living with my grandma I guess...

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Leave the seat down and pee all over it. Cold porcelin wilf feel so good again to them. :p

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Next time this happens, p*** on the seat and leave it there. They'll never complain about the seat being up again. And if they say anything, just say "Hey, you wanted the seat down, it's down." :)

Of course, this is my own confrontational style. It may work differently for you- it could get you slapped too. :D But I guarantee you, it'll work. :)

13. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

My mom always used to yell at me about putting the seat down. I told her when she was done to put the seat up then. She wasn't happy.

14. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

You don't actually need to pi$$ on the seat, just ask politely the next time it's brought up:

"If you want 100% reliability on the seat being down let me know, however you will increase the likelihood that the seat will not be dry. You can have it up some of the time and always dry or down all of the time and well... it's your choice."

15. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yea, why do women have the final say in this like they own the toilet.

16. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Maybe you could post a schedule and people could sign up for times to use the restroom. Then you would know who is coming in after you and could leave the seat appropriately.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I've tried diplomacy first- didn't work. You actually do have to p*** on the seat. :)

18. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Take the seat off the hinges and hang it above the toilet on the wall. Then it become the sitter's responsibility to place the seat on the toilet if they need it.

19. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

If I have to pick it up to use it, the women should have to put it down to use it.

End of story. :rolleyes:

20. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I just don't see the issue...the default state of the toilet should be with the seat down. That's how it's used more than half the time and it looks nicer to boot (especially if there's a lid). I take care to leave things as I found them or even better than I found them.

I think complaining about the seat being left up isn't necessary, but my feeling is that the seat should be down unless the toilet's actively being pissed in.

21. iGav macrumors G3

FWIW, I always put the seat and the lid down.

After living with 3 women for a few years, I can attest that putting the lid down, has a similar effect as leaving the seat up. ;) :D :p

22. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Maybe you could just sit down. Take a load off and enjoy a good sit while pissing.

23. Turkish thread starter macrumors 6502

Nah. I've been making a conscious effort to put it down. I'm the only guy here for now.

She just raised her voice at me (publicly - we have an open office layout) abotu it. If I innocently forget and she says something again, I'll just tell her to remember to put it up when she's done as a courtesy to me.

24. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i've never had this problem personally
    its not like its hard to lift up or put down. senseless imo.

25. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I like TheAnswer's idea.

But really, it doesn't seem like a big deal. It's pretty automatic for me to just put it up, and put it down. It takes about 2 seconds. I think the constant yelling of your female co-workers will actually take up more time than putting it down.