Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I bought my Iphone 4 from Apple in Hong-Kong and it came unlocked. Current version is 4.0.2 (8A400). What is the best way to jailbreak this one? Any particular steps I need to follow on an unlocked phone? Anyone have any problems trying or after jailbreaking their unlocked Iphone 4 so far?
limera1n or greenpois0n, you shouldn't need to use PT since you are already unlocked by factory.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Yeah, well I was out of contract after 18 months on the 3GS so was fairly easy to ask them for unlock. Re. locking it again on Pwnage that thought crossed my mind too. Cheers for reply anyway!

Its not that difficult with o2 and their rules are published on their web site. If you are in contract they will unlock the phone for you anytime after the first couple of months for free but you are committed to the rest of the contract. If you buy the phone full price on pay and go they will unlock it for Sterling 15 at any time but if you unlock it in the first 12 months you will lose the free 3G data that comes with a full price phone for the first year.

Once you get an official factory unlock you never worry about updating the phone since the unlock is permanent. You do not need to use tools like pwnage or snowbreeze just update normally and then use limera1n or greenpo1son.

kidwithdimples

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2007
I have a 3GS on TMobile. It's on 3.1 ... It was jailbroke with blackra1n. The first 5 # from serial number is: 84937 and modem firmware: 05.11.07

Can I just plug the iphone to my mac, use itunes to restore it to 4.1 (i don't care if I lose any JB apps or etc), then use limera1n to jailbreak it?

and would i need to install ultrasn0w to unlock it after JB'ing with limera1n?

email68

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
I remember back in the day of jailbreaking, they always said not to restore from a backup at the last step, always setup as a new phone.

Is it still that way?

I'd rather restore from a backup if it doesn't make a difference.

-Tim

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I have a 3GS on TMobile. It's on 3.1 ... It was jailbroke with blackra1n. The first 5 # from serial number is: 84937 and modem firmware: 05.11.07

Can I just plug the iphone to my mac, use itunes to restore it to 4.1 (i don't care if I lose any JB apps or etc), then use limera1n to jailbreak it?

and would i need to install ultrasn0w to unlock it after JB'ing with limera1n?

NO! you will lose your unlock, use PT to keep your baseband so you can then use ultrasn0w to unlock it to use in T-mobile...

No prob.

I remember back in the day of jailbreaking, they always said not to restore from a backup at the last step, always setup as a new phone.
Is it still that way?
I'd rather restore from a backup if it doesn't make a difference.
-Tim

Restore as new is still the correct/proper way of installing custom firmwares...

kidwithdimples

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2007
NO! you will lose your unlock, use PT to keep your baseband so you can then use ultrasn0w to unlock it to use in T-mobile...
Okay so,

Download the latest PT
Download the 4.1 firmware from Apple
then do I restore the iphone 3gs on itunes to 4.1 or leave it on 3.1 and use PT to jailbreak it to 4.1?

Just a lil confused about the last 2-3 steps I have to do.

Shaddow825

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2006
Okay so,

Download the latest PT
then do I restore the iphone 3gs on itunes to 4.1 or leave it on 3.1 and use PT to jailbreak it to 4.1?

Download PT, get the firmware from Apple.
When you run PT it will modify the firmware from Apple, essentially jailbreaking it before it gets on the phone. Then PT will run a small exploit on your iphone while putting into a special DFU mode which allows Itunes to load
a custom modified firmware on your phone. You will use alt-restore on itunes to restore this new custom firmware *NOT* the one from Apple.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
Okay so,

Download the latest PT

There's also a full step-by-step tutorial here.

Vessy

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
Okay... I live in HK and have a US based AT&T iPhone 4. I was a complete noob and updated to 4.1 released by Apple. Then I decided I needed to unlock my phone so I could use it here with an HK simcard, but since I upgraded it through Apple and my BB was also updated, I could not JB/Unlock my phone.

I'm a little confused on this thread, but are you saying that I can now JB/Unlock my phone because the Dev team made a 4.1 crack?

My version is 4.1 and my BB is 02.10.04

Thank you!

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
Restore as new is still the correct/proper way of installing custom firmwares...

I've been reading this a lot and understand the logic behind it. Question: So you guys just go through and set everything up again (wifi, e-mail accounts, etc.), or is there an easier way (I understand that contacts, calendar, notes will all synch)? What about old SMSs (and anything I've left out) -- not that they're THAT important?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.