Qualcomm Wins Import Ban on iPhone 6s Through iPhone X in China, Apple Says All iPhone Models Remain Available

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 10, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

CNBC and Reuters today report that the Fuzhou Intermediate People's Court has granted Qualcomm an import ban on the iPhone 6s through iPhone X in China after the court found those devices violated two Qualcomm patents. This could result in those iPhone models being unavailable to purchase in China.

[​IMG]

However, in a statement issued to those publications, Apple said all iPhone models remain available for customers in China:
    The first Qualcomm patent reportedly enables users to "adjust and reformat the size and appearance of photos," while the second is said to relate to "managing applications using a touch screen when viewing and navigating apps."

Qualcomm issued the following statement:
    The ruling does not apply to the new iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, or iPhone XR, nor does it apply to iPhones running iOS 12, which is possibly why Apple says all iPhone models remain available to customers in China. Apple naturally disagrees with the ban and said it is pursuing all of its legal options through the courts.

Of note, this ruling does not appear to be related to the larger legal battle between Apple and Qualcomm over wireless modem technology in iPhones.

Article Link: Qualcomm Wins Import Ban on iPhone 6s Through iPhone X in China, Apple Says All iPhone Models Remain Available

2. Paul Simon macrumors newbie

Paul Simon

How do you import something into the country it's manufactured in? That's a head scratcher…

3. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

Some parts are made in the US and have to be imported there.

4. tooltalk macrumors 6502

It seems like the patents infringed are utility patents. Can Apple work-around with software update?

Also, is that a sales ban or an "import ban"? I thought those phones were already made in China.

5. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

I thought iPhones were exported from China, unless this only affects the 6s made in India.

6. Paul Simon macrumors newbie

Paul Simon

Parts yeah, but the ban is on the final product. Anyway, it just seems like another Hail Mary thrown by Qualcomm.

7. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

But based on the story it's not a ban on parts, but completed phones.

8. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

And this is why it's so risky to do business in China. Kangaroo court, protectionist policies, rampant IP theft, the list goes on.

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Something like "adjust and reformat the size and appearance of photos," cannot be patented, only a specific method of doing it. I mean surely Samsung phones have some way to "adjust and reformat the size and appearance of photos", and so have any other phones or computers? This is most likely something where whatever Apple is doing just does not match what Qualcomm claims in their patent.

10. AngerDanger, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Alright, everybody, we have "Something about China" to mark off.

bingo.gif
    EDIT: I re-saved this still image as a GIF so you can mark off two boxes!

11. Zadigre macrumors regular

Zadigre

yeah...
    and also article says this doesn't apply to iPhone running iOS12... so essentially all iPhone since the 5s are all fin now?

12. pallymore macrumors regular

pallymore

Also Chinese nationalists cheer because they think this is the retaliation against the arrest of Huawei's CFO.

13. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

Well then don't make a product that uses it's parts from that area.....

14. roar08 macrumors regular

roar08

And in other news, Qualcomm signs multi-year deal to supply Huawei with "special" chips.

15. pallymore macrumors regular

pallymore

but muh profits!

16. blcamp macrumors regular

blcamp

Temporary. Qualcomm's days are numbered. There may be quite a few left, but they are numbered. Methinks this is partly in retaliation to the Huawei arrest. Watch this clear up in a couple months or so.

17. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Oh my goodness, that might be my favourite post of yours in recent memory, and the bar was set high. The attention to detail, the self-deprecation, the simplicity worthy of Apple themselves.... Bravo sir, bravo.

18. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

Exactly my first thought.

This is such a big story that really isn't getting that much coverage in the American media and I am shocked. Gotta keep the people stupid. Watch The Voice and check your Instagram.

Unreal.

19. doctor-don macrumors 65816

In January 2017, Apple announced a $1 billion lawsuit against Qualcomm for overcharging chips and failing to pay $1 billion in rebates. Qualcomm however rejected the accusations, calling the claims "baseless". A week before the Apple lawsuit, Qualcomm shares dropped as the FTC accused the company of excessive royalties for technologies that are "essential to industry standards." Qualcomm was sued by a group of shareholders in the wake of the aforementioned FTC ruling and Apple lawsuit.

In March 2017, South Korea found out that Qualcomm prevented Samsung from selling their chips to other phone makers.

On January 24, 2018 the European Commission announced a €997 million fine ($1.2 billion) for violating antitrust laws in a series of deals with Apple where the US tech giant paid Apple to use its chips exclusively in its smartphones and tablets.

20. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

They are a chip making company; if somebody asks for a nefarious chip they will make it that's what chip makers do. Politics have nothing to do with it and they are not breaking any laws so why not?

21. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Without getting too political, the west have stolen HUGE amounts from countries such as China over the years. I think their list is far longer than anything China could conjure up.
    The war on those weapons of mass destruction that couldn't be found went through the highest embodiment of 'kangaroo court' in any land I'd say.

22. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Spilled my coffee all over the table just reading the article header....

23. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

The irony is the patent is for photos and not for wireless :D

24. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

"The ruling does not apply to the new iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, or iPhone XR...".
    And why is that?
    Is it because these phones are still being currently made in China by Chinese workers? Hmmmm

25. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

I really admire how China upholds such honor over issues such as respect for intellectual property. This couldn’t have anything to do with giving a hand to the likes of Huawei, could it?
    Article says the ban doesn’t apply to iPhones running iOS 12, so I guess so.