Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frozzbite

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
buggy with video calls (Skype/Facetime)

for those who are wondering about Quasar working with video calls, heres a small review.

FaceTime
Quasar does not work with Facetime at all. When the tweak is installed, Facetime boots to a black screen. Useless. When someone calls you, the ipad will ring and you can pick it up. But right when the call is about to connect, the whole iPad crashes. So Facetime is really a no go.

Skype works but only to a certain extent. If you open skype in the Quasar window, you will be able to call out and work the app normally. But the moment you press the home button to open another app, the skype window just refuses to open anymore, however, the call is still going on in the background. And when you are able to open skype, it opens up as a full screen and not a quasar window. Once you end the call and press the home button, the whole iPad will crash.

On the other hand, Quasar works well with normal stuff. Just not anything that involves calling.

RobesNo1

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
... that,

"iPad 3 fully support is being added in the next update"

Any issues with iPad 3 users right now?

Well not sure if this is iPad 3 only but....

It doesn't seem to like the camera connection kit. if you plug it in it'll transfer the pictures across but then it kind of gets stuck and won't leave the app. If you force close it it spazzes out and the screen starts doing some funny things. It actually freaked me out a bit! :) But it was fine after a reboot.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
I ran into some issues last night when trying to go fullscreen on windows. It seemed like the windows would geting confused on which direction they were supposed to go, and end up fulling half of the screen and getting really squished. It really bummed me out.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Sorry but this app is just way to buggy right now.
At least for me on the iPad 3.
It keeps rotating the wrong way from the dock and top menu so everything is upside down.
This was a real waste of cash for me, hope he'll fix it soon.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
Is it worth 10$? Kinda steep

Yes, hope Apple pays attention to this one and integrates the features into iOS 6. They would be stupid not to do so. The hardware easily handles the apps running, and the resolution is there on the new iPad to make use of it.

Also not sure if any of the videos show it, but you can rotate individual windows. Makes some games better than being forced into portrait mode. Also is nice that apps continue to run, so can keep listening to Netflix while doing emails, scrounging Facebook or browsing.

I paid $10 for this and $20 for MyWi but not sure iPad works right as a hotspot. May be forced to use USB to a laptop, but was hoping to share my data to the iPad handmedowns the kids use (do not want them on mine).

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Yes, hope Apple pays attention to this one and integrates the features into iOS 6. They would be stupid not to do so. The hardware easily handles the apps running, and the resolution is there on the new iPad to make use of it.

Also not sure if any of the videos show it, but you can rotate individual windows. Makes some games better than being forced into portrait mode. Also is nice that apps continue to run, so can keep listening to Netflix while doing emails, scrounging Facebook or browsing.

I paid $10 for this and $20 for MyWi but not sure iPad works right as a hotspot. May be forced to use USB to a laptop, but was hoping to share my data to the iPad handmedowns the kids use (do not want them on mine).

They won't. I would bet my every possession it will not be added for 2+ major iOS releases, if that, if ever.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
FaceTime does not work with Quasar 1.1

Diagnosed it to Quasar, which stinks, as I enjoy multitasking with it.
Lol, should have read this closer yesterday...

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
E-mailed the author of the App.

Hope Pedro keeps us informed. Going to keep this App installed, and uninstall it whenever I need to do a FT call. Imagine I will still get my alerts, so can FT the caller back afterwards in the meantime.

oli356

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2010
Hope Pedro keeps us informed. Going to keep this App installed, and uninstall it whenever I need to do a FT call. Imagine I will still get my alerts, so can FT the caller back afterwards in the meantime.
Could just disable it via the settings.

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
Im using it right now ... Posting a comment here and watching a htc one x review on YouTube! Works fine! I would like a lock key though cause sometimes I move windows accidentally..

nozebleed

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
i think this tweak is unbelievable. I'm posting this right now, while playing poker, and draw something. had a few issues with freezing and firewall IP, other than that it's gravy. If I need to use FaceTime I'll just disable it until they get the fix out

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
i think this tweak is unbelievable. I'm posting this right now, while playing poker, and draw something. had a few issues with freezing and firewall IP, other than that it's gravy. If I need to use FaceTime I'll just disable it until they get the fix out

They recently updated for the new iPad retina display.

I'm curious ow you deal with the freezing? I've just been doing a hard reset, any other way out?

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
I've been able to duplicate the squished screen, improper fullscreen problem.

It has to do with rotating the homescreen itself 180 degrees, like if you wanted to use your Smart Cover as a prop for typing but you had the iPad oriented with the home button on the right instead of the left.

To duplicate, let's start with the iPad in landscape with the home button on your right hand side. Make sure you're on your homescreen with no apps open or in your multitask tray. Now, open up iMessage and tap fullscreen. It should go to fullscreen no problem.

Now, tap the home button, then tap close on the window bar. Open your tray and kill the app. Now, quickly, rotate your iPad 180 degrees so the home button is on your left side now. Open iMessage again and quickly tap fullscreen. The window should go all squished and improperly fullscreened.

Don't worry, all is not lost. Tap the home button, then tap close on the window bar. Kill the app in the tray and try again. This time, after opening iMessage, wait for it to flip itself. You'll see a shadow behind it rotating. Then hit fullscreen. It should work perfectly. I've been able to replicate the problem several times using this method.

The point I'm making is, be careful rotating your screen when using Quasar. It takes some time for the system to realize its upside down and needs a moment to fix itself.

EDIT: I've had problems fixing the issue without doing a respring. Seems like a respring is the only way to solve it. However, on rare occasions doing the above will fix the issue as well.

Last edited:

RobesNo1

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
Strange... the prev version did work on my iPad 3 too and it was Retina-resolution... actually, the second Quasar screenshot in my 5.1.1 JB Compatibility List-article ( http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/combined-article-update-ios-511-ipad-32-cydia-compatibility-list ; it also links to this thread) has also been made with the prev. version. Can't really tell the diff between the two versions.

From what I can tell it's just the button text at the bottom of the windows has had a resolution bump.
I am perhaps seeing less issues (?) But that could just be coincidence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.