Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RealMonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
tl;dr Disk Utility info on my main disk says 'Bootable: No'. Is that a problem? Is it a problem I can fix?

So I upgraded my Mac Mini to a 1TB SSD, like so many people do.

Because the Mini was basically dead when I did the upgrade (the fusion drive had been slowly failing for weeks), the only boot drive I had was one for El Capitan, made on my 2009 iMac. Still, the restore from my Time Machine backup worked just fine, and the Mini was up and running High Sierra after the restore.

I noticed that it was still HFS+, so I created a High Sierra installer drive, booted up in recovery mode, unmounted the main drive, and converted it to APFS. So far so good.

Then I got the annoying 'Cannot bless something something' whatever message, and the Mini wouldn't boot. So I went back into recovery mode and reinstalled High Sierra. So that's where we are now. I'm up and running, and everything seems okay.

BUT

When I go into disk utility and look at the APFS partition, it still says 'Bootable: No'. Does that mean to reboot, I have to reinstall High Sierra every time? Is it fine, and just some bad info? Is there something I can do to change that?

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
I looked on my 2014 Mini which has one SSD which boots (reliably, all the time) High Sierra, another SSD which can boot (reliably) High Sierra or Mojave beta. Neither of the SSD's, none of the containers, none of the volumes (partitions) show as being bootable using the "Info" button in Disk Utility. On my Sierra computer (obviously HFS+), the disk doesn't show as bootable, the volume does. So I would guess that the definition of "bootable" is different for APFS?

Reactions: RealMonster

RealMonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
I looked on my 2014 Mini which has one SSD which boots (reliably, all the time) High Sierra, another SSD which can boot (reliably) High Sierra or Mojave beta. Neither of the SSD's, none of the containers, none of the volumes (partitions) show as being bootable using the "Info" button in Disk Utility. On my Sierra computer (obviously HFS+), the disk doesn't show as bootable, the volume does. So I would guess that the definition of "bootable" is different for APFS?

Okay, that makes me feel better, but also that is incredibly weird and confusing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.