Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

littlesolja0925

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
Hello everyone,

I have been searching around this forum but I cannot find a clear answer to my question. I'm planning to get the new Apple Watch series 3 (with cellular) when it launches. Unfortunately, Bell and Telus are currently the carrier for the cell network and I am not planning to switch over as my current plan (with Fido) is actually pretty good.

My question is that if I buy the cellular version now and maybe in the future Rogers or Fido will include cell network for Apple Watch. My Watch will just work just fine as long as I buy it from Apple Store?

Another question I have is that if my Apple Watch doesn't have cell network but I'm carrying my phone with me, will I still be able to receive and make calls just like it should be? Or I have to sign up on the cellular network in order to "unlock" those features?

My last question is that are there huge differences between Aluminium and Stainless Steel Case? I mainly use it for sports so I want something lighter but I heard aluminum can get scratched easily.

Thanks everyone for your help! :)

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
My question is that if I buy the cellular version now and maybe in the future Rogers or Fido will include cell network for Apple Watch. My Watch will just work just fine as long as I buy it from Apple Store?

Yes, it should work. Couldn't see a reason why not.

Another question I have is that if my Apple Watch doesn't have cell network but I'm carrying my phone with me, will I still be able to receive and make calls just like it should be? Or I have to sign up on the cellular network in order to "unlock" those features?

You will be able to.

My last question is that are there huge differences between Aluminium and Stainless Steel Case? I mainly use it for sports so I want something lighter but I heard aluminum can get scratched easily.

If you like sport goes for sport. It's cheaper & lighter. SS is for someone who specifically wants that.

littlesolja0925

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
Yes, it should work. Couldn't see a reason why not.

You will be able to.

If you like sport goes for sport. It's cheaper & lighter. SS is for someone who specifically wants that.

Thank-you so much for your reply! and great too hear all these new features will work even if it is not on cellular network.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Just make sure the the cellular bands supported by the watch are the ones used by Rogers or Fido. Most likely they are, but if not you're waisting your money. The watch supports a limited set of bands (around 16, depending upon the model), as opposed to the iPhone 8 which supports 40 or so.

Reactions: littlesolja0925

littlesolja0925

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
Just make sure the the cellular bands supported by the watch are the ones used by Rogers or Fido. Most likely they are, but if not you're waisting your money. The watch supports a limited set of bands (around 16, depending upon the model), as opposed to the iPhone 8 which supports 40 or so.

Oh yes! that is true. I will double check on that one :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.