Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In addition to our standalone articles covering the latest news and rumors at MacRumors, this Quick Takes column provides a bite-sized recap of other headlines about Apple and its competitors on weekdays.

mac-mini-2011.jpg

Thursday, April 5
Mac mini is three-and-a-half years old: Apple today confirmed that its revamped Mac Pro will be released in 2019. It's an opportune time for a reminder that the Mac mini hasn't been refreshed in three-and-a-half years as of April 16. 1,267 days ago as of today, according to our MacRumors Buyer's Guide. We asked Apple for a comment, but it's unlikely they'll break silence.
Apple predicted to accelerate its capital return program due to corporate tax reform: In a research note to investors, Citigroup analyst Jim Suva estimates that Apple will expand its share repurchase authorization by an additional $100 billion on its May 1 earnings call, versus a $50 billion addition a year ago, as a result of the U.S. corporate tax rate dropping to 21 percent.

final-cut-pro-captioning-800x454.jpg

FCP Exchange takes place at NAB 2018 in Las Vegas next week: The series of free Final Cut Pro workshops begin Monday, April 9 at 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time in room S219 at the Las Vegas Convention Center. Final Cut Pro version 10.4.1, previewed by Apple today, will be released on the same day with support for a new ProRes RAW format and advanced closed captioning.
Apple has published an entry titled Introducing the Payment Request API for Apple Pay on its WebKit blog.

For more coverage of Apple, visit our Front Page, Mac Blog, and iOS Blog. Also head to our forums to join in the discussion.

Article Link: Quick Takes: Mac Mini Turning 3.5 Years Old, But Unlike Mac Pro, Apple Remains Silent About Future Updates

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Apple have been stuck on coming up with a whole new design for the mini. The 2014 only used non existent security Torx Plus 6 screws. Not nearly hard enough to deal with. For the next one, it may be dodecaheptalobe or it will be entirely stir welded together after filling with explosive potting compound. Non upgradable and not even by a ninja.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
I feel Apple thinks it makes more sense to just push the cheaper Apple TV. Yes it doesn't do the same things but I think they figure you can just us a laptop to do the same thing as a mac mini and get the usefulness of having a laptop as well. Just need to get that entry level laptop price down though.

RyanXM

Contributor
Jul 7, 2012
DFW, TX
I absolutely love my Mac Mini. And my home office has a ton of natural light so I have to use a matte screen. No iMac for me. So I pray Apple will update it at some point.

Have you tried a 2017 Model iMac? Much brighter and do quite well in a well lit room.

Reactions: Sandstorm

daviiiid

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2018
If Apple wanted to continue their education kick with the new reduced price for schools to purchase iPads, wouldn't a refreshed Mac Mini be another good option for schools? The elementary school that my mother works at uses cheap Acer laptops for all the teachers and in their library. I think Mac Minis would be great replacements if they had updated specs!

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Mac Mini seems so easy to update. I wonder what’s taking them so long. It already looks nice. Tweak the design a bit and update the internals and ports and voila!

I know it’s not super popular, buttt some people are buying it.
Whenever I check the MacMini refurbs on the Apple site, they sell out almost instantly, so there must be some demand for them. I'm just waiting for a MacMini that can do 4K at 60fps and I'll quickly buy it to use as a media center device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.