Quick Takes: Mac Mini Turning 3.5 Years Old, But Unlike Mac Pro, Apple Remains Silent About Future Updates

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 5, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In addition to our standalone articles covering the latest news and rumors at MacRumors, this Quick Takes column provides a bite-sized recap of other headlines about Apple and its competitors on weekdays.

[​IMG]

Thursday, April 5
    Mac mini is three-and-a-half years old: Apple today confirmed that its revamped Mac Pro will be released in 2019. It's an opportune time for a reminder that the Mac mini hasn't been refreshed in three-and-a-half years as of April 16. 1,267 days ago as of today, according to our MacRumors Buyer's Guide. We asked Apple for a comment, but it's unlikely they'll break silence.
    Apple predicted to accelerate its capital return program due to corporate tax reform: In a research note to investors, Citigroup analyst Jim Suva estimates that Apple will expand its share repurchase authorization by an additional $100 billion on its May 1 earnings call, versus a $50 billion addition a year ago, as a result of the U.S. corporate tax rate dropping to 21 percent.

[​IMG]

FCP Exchange takes place at NAB 2018 in Las Vegas next week: The series of free Final Cut Pro workshops begin Monday, April 9 at 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time in room S219 at the Las Vegas Convention Center. Final Cut Pro version 10.4.1, previewed by Apple today, will be released on the same day with support for a new ProRes RAW format and advanced closed captioning.
    Apple has published an entry titled Introducing the Payment Request API for Apple Pay on its WebKit blog.

For more coverage of Apple, visit our Front Page, Mac Blog, and iOS Blog. Also head to our forums to join in the discussion.

Article Link: Quick Takes: Mac Mini Turning 3.5 Years Old, But Unlike Mac Pro, Apple Remains Silent About Future Updates

2. tubular macrumors 6502

tubular

And the 2014 Mac Mini was a lobotomy. So it’s more accurate to say “not improved on any way since 2012.”

3. Soba macrumors member

Soba

After the ridiculous Mac Pro news, perhaps they realized that silence would be more dignified.

4. Populus, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018

Populus macrumors 6502a

Populus

I'm going to say it: the day Apple updates the Mac mini, if that day comes, I'll order it on day one. Just for the sake of it.

5. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Mac Mini seems so easy to update. I wonder what’s taking them so long. It already looks nice. Tweak the design a bit and update the internals and ports and voila!

I know it’s not super popular, buttt some people are buying it.

6. tubular macrumors 6502

tubular

That day is almost certainly coming.

7. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

I’ll be a sad panda the day my Mac mini dies if there still has not been a worthwhile update to it by then.

8. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

The return on a $600 Mini isn't enough for Apple. They'd rather people buy a Macbook or an iMac.

9. now i see it macrumors 68000

You read it here first- Mac Mini is waiting for ARM. It'll be the first guinea pig.

10. zahuh macrumors regular

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Mac Mini is the first Mac with the A processor from Apple. Maybe they’re just waiting for to get a little faster and then will update it.

11. yegon macrumors 68020

My maxed out 2012 still works a charm in combo with the Thunderbolt Display :)

It’s not been my main computer for a few years, but it’s still highly capable and sees quite a lot of use. A great purchase.

12. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

Apple have been stuck on coming up with a whole new design for the mini. The 2014 only used non existent security Torx Plus 6 screws. Not nearly hard enough to deal with. For the next one, it may be dodecaheptalobe or it will be entirely stir welded together after filling with explosive potting compound. Non upgradable and not even by a ninja.

13. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

I absolutely love my Mac Mini. And my home office has a ton of natural light so I have to use a matte screen. No iMac for me. So I pray Apple will update it at some point.

14. JGIGS macrumors 6502a

JGIGS

I feel Apple thinks it makes more sense to just push the cheaper Apple TV. Yes it doesn't do the same things but I think they figure you can just us a laptop to do the same thing as a mac mini and get the usefulness of having a laptop as well. Just need to get that entry level laptop price down though.

15. mylittlepwny macrumors newbie

mylittlepwny

I'd love to have one if the price point made sense.

16. RyanXM macrumors regular

RyanXM

Have you tried a 2017 Model iMac? Much brighter and do quite well in a well lit room.

17. bcwmr macrumors newbie

I think I will cry when the new mac mini is almost certainly coming thread is closed in favor of the new the new mac mini is certainly coming redeux thread.

18. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'd guess that more people are waiting for an updated Mac mini than are waiting for an updated Mac Pro. But it's apparently still not a priority for Apple. They haven't called the Mac mini a "hobby" but sometimes it seems like it.

19. Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

I sure hope they update the Mac Mini just so it can finally end the constant complaining about them not updating it on here.

20. daviiiid macrumors newbie

If Apple wanted to continue their education kick with the new reduced price for schools to purchase iPads, wouldn't a refreshed Mac Mini be another good option for schools? The elementary school that my mother works at uses cheap Acer laptops for all the teachers and in their library. I think Mac Minis would be great replacements if they had updated specs!

21. Saipher macrumors demi-god

Saipher

^This lol

22. harriska2 macrumors 6502

harriska2

Still waiting for a mac mini. Anyone home over at apple? Hello?

23. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

Apple should take the basis of this... and make it run MacOS.

Maybe put the innards in a sleek aluminum case. But the hard work is already done. By Intel. Yes, that Intel.

[​IMG]

24. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Ridiculous how? The timescale? :confused:

25. Constable Odo macrumors 6502

Constable Odo

Whenever I check the MacMini refurbs on the Apple site, they sell out almost instantly, so there must be some demand for them. I'm just waiting for a MacMini that can do 4K at 60fps and I'll quickly buy it to use as a media center device.