Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's 14 and 16-inch MacBook Pro models are finally in the hands of customers, and one Reddit user has opened his up to give us a first look at the inside of the 10-core 14-inch machine.

macbook-pro-teardown-1.jpg
14-inch MacBook Pro​

In addition to sharing some great photos of the internals, Reddit User the_Ex_Lurker shared some thoughts on the process of getting into the new MacBook Pro.

Opening up the new MacBook Pro "seems identical" to the 2016-2012 MacBook Pro models, with Apple using pentalobe screws and clips that need to be dealt with to get inside. The batteries are not glued down and are instead held in place with iPhone-style adhesive pull tabs to make battery replacements simpler.

macbook-pro-teardown-2.jpg
14-inch MacBook Pro​

The keyboard deck is part of the unibody so it won't be any easier to replace than existing keyboards, and the I/O ports are modular and should be relatively easy to replace. There is a dual fan setup inside the 14-inch model like the 16-inch model, and the fans are slightly larger than the fans in the old 13-inch MacBook Pro but are smaller than the fans in the 15-inch 2016 model.

Leaker L0vetodream also shared some teardown images of the 16-inch MacBook Pro model on Twitter. He said the M1 Max chip is "really large," with the top down view showing off the dual fans and heat pipe. A translation of the original tweet is below with more detail.

16-inch-macbook-pro-teardown-lovetodream-1.jpg
16-inch MacBook Pro​
MacBook Pro 16-inch with M1 Max first disassembled. The area of the new M1 Max chip is really large (see the comparison of the size of a 1 yuan coin) RAM is divided into four particles stacked on the chip to dissipate heat is a dual fan + single heat pipe overall modularity The design of the internal design is regular and maintenance is relatively convenient. This one we have is the 1T top-equipped version (the highest configuration in the non-customized version).
Both the 14 and 16-inch models look similar inside with the dual-fan setups and a set of six batteries, along with redesigned speaker systems.

16-inch-macbook-pro-teardown-lovetodream-2.jpg
16-inch MacBook Pro logic board​

We should get a more in-depth teardown later this week from teardown site iFixit, which will give us additional information on the two machines.

Article Link: Quick Teardowns Offer First Look Inside 14 and 16-Inch MacBook Pro Models

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I see 2 eyes under eyebrows (unibrow or perhaps the bridge of granny glasses?), a nose and the makings of a mouth.

Descendent of "Number 5 is alive"?

What if it fires up when iFixit starts surgery and says "Do NOT touch me!"

Or maybe in a "more than meets the eye" move, it "transforms" into Apple Car/Truck/Plane when you are not looking? ;)

Last edited:

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London
What's interesting is the it looks like there are 3 wifi antennas here, but reports from other threads mentioned the wifi is the same 2x2 AX as the one in M1 MacBooks.

• Wow
Reactions: Rashy

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Ooof. iFixIt won't be pleased but I really like their fixability rating system so I'll continue to wait and see what they come up with.

P.S. Where's the CHIP that powers the notch? :rolleyes:

Reactions: adib and Tagbert

sumtimes

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2021
16" version shows 8 positions for the die for the SSD. 14" version shows 4 on visible side, likely has 4 more on the other side of the PCB.

It would help to know the SSD config of each version shown in the above picts.

Reactions: driveparty

csHokie

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
I see 2 eyes under eyebrows (unibrow or perhaps the bridge of granny glasses?), a nose and the makings of a mouth.

Descendent of "Number 5 is alive"?

What if it fires up when iFixit starts surgery and says "Do NOT touch me!"

Or maybe in a "more than meets the eye" move, it "transforms" into Apple Car/Truck/Plane when you are not looking? ;)
I’m pretty sure in the case of Johnny #5 the quote would be, “No disassemble Stephanieeeeee! No disassemble“

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Not much to repair.
Maybe: The Battery, The Fans, Main Logic board. Screen.
Thats it. or throw it away.

I'll wait for the Mac mini M1 Max.
I would think a petite Mac Pro using M Max would be better. All the high-end ‌‌Mac mini‌‌ images don't look like it would be good to dissipate heat like these 14"/16" MBP laptops do with these photos. ;)

Reactions: Blackstick

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
where is the all new improved cooling design? if the fans are smaller than the outgoing model?

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
where is the all new improved cooling design? if the fans are smaller than the outgoing model?
What has fan size got to do with thermal cooling efficiency? Its more dependent on the transfer of heat from sink -> pipe -> fans. These M Pro/M Max SoC's run cooler don't they? no separate discrete GPU anymore.

Reactions: KeithBN
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.