Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harshw

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
Threw together a quick comparison - the 16" magnification is a bit off (should be bigger) but:

14" has much smaller fan and heatsink
14" has smaller speakers

If both the laptops are showing the same Geekbench benchmarks - it seems the M1 Max and Pro are frequency locked despite the 16" having better cooling. Keep in mind that the SoC can still be thermally limited so it will not show in Geekbench but will show up when pushing both GPU and CPU at the same time (so the 16" will probably downclock less often etc)

compare.jpg

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
where is the all new improved cooling design? if the fans are smaller than the outgoing model?
It’s supposed to be more efficient (and probably quieter based on the early reviews). It may be more about how the airflow is routed and managed and the details of the fan “blades”.

Reactions: amartinez1660

warmbear

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2021
Fans on 16 are significantly larger, heat pipe longer too. Wondering if there is any difference between 16 pro and 16 max? Now waiting for a 16 m1 pro photo…

Reactions: madisonm

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
What has fan size got to do with thermal cooling efficiency? Its more dependent on the transfer of heat from sink -> pipe -> fans. These M Pro/M Max SoC's run cooler don't they? no separate discrete GPU anymore.

just trying to understand where the extra size/weight comes from and what design choices were made.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
I changed my order from the 14" to the 16" a week ago.
Now I'll have to wait 3 more weeks, however I'm satisfied with my decision; I hope the 16" will actually be considerably better at keeping the CPU cool, as I plan to use it very intensely.

ddtmm

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
The firs thing that strikes me when I looked at the pics it that there really isn't much else on the board other than the SoC - mostly just regulators and periphery stuff. This is a pretty incredible design, to have eliminated so much circuitry by stuffing it all in the processor slab. Must be saving a lot on board design and manufacturing. Impressive.

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
Not much to repair.
Maybe:
The Battery
The Fans
Main Logic board.
Screen.

Thats it. or throw it away.

I'll wait for the Mac mini M1 Max.
They literally said the ports are modular. The other things seem pretty repairable to me. If you’re looking to swap out the SSD or memory, look elsewhere. The reason they’re able to get this kind of raw power and [lack of] power consumption is BECAUSE it’s a system-on-a-chip.

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
Threw together a quick comparison - the 16" magnification is a bit off (should be bigger) but:

14" has much smaller fan and heatsink
14" has smaller speakers

If both the laptops are showing the same Geekbench benchmarks - it seems the M1 Max and Pro are frequency locked despite the 16" having better cooling. Keep in mind that the SoC can still be thermally limited so it will not show in Geekbench but will show up when pushing both GPU and CPU at the same time (so the 16" will probably downclock less often etc)

View attachment 1880088
Small thing, but it appears that the bass transducers are identical on each. So I reckon 14" and 16" will have a similar fullness in the bottom end, but 16" will get louder overall with those larger tweeters boosting the mids and highs.

I was surprised/skeptical when they said that the 14" had the same sound system.

Reactions: Rashy

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
The firs thing that strikes me when I looked at the pics it that there really isn't much else on the board other than the SoC - mostly just regulators and periphery stuff. This is a pretty incredible design, to have eliminated so much circuitry by stuffing it all in the processor slab. Must be saving a lot on board design and manufacturing. Impressive.

So, those chains are pretty awesome, huh... Apple figured out another way to lock down their tech. It kinda sucks worse than before, which sucked quite a bit. I am really resenting that I can't increase the storage on the MBP I'm typing this on. Computers weren't meant to be hammers. A totally locked down 'tool', that is thrown out instead of upgraded. It's kind of depressing if I really think about it. If Apple made the 'SoC' replaceable, or up-gradable, I would feel a little better about it. I would hate to have to pay nearly the same money to upgrade a MBP, but upgrading is saving the rest of the box from being tossed.

Apple's paranoia is wearing on me again. The last time was with my IIcx. I left 'the body' for 6+ years. Not exactly feeling the warm and fuzzes for the 'new normal'...

But Apple is an 'industry leader', and if they succeed in this, others will gleefully follow.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
They literally said the ports are modular. The other things seem pretty repairable to me. If you’re looking to swap out the SSD or memory, look elsewhere. The reason they’re able to get this kind of raw power and [lack of] power consumption is BECAUSE it’s a system-on-a-chip.

NO NO NO!!!

It's a processor based on a known low power design, and they tricked it out. It's on a scale that makes it run cooler with less power. It's not an Intel Barbie toaster. The SoC will allow for higher memory bandwidth, but the power is in the chip design. Intel can't do this because they are still stuck in the past. They could have done more with Itanium, or some of the other innovative ships they came out with. They could have been a contender.

The SoC protects Apple's profit, and keeps people like you and me from upgrading 'their' hardware.

I scoffed at the idea, but Apple is almost to the point where you could have to pay a 'subscription' for their hardware. You 'rent' essentially, what you want. You want more memory? It'll be $x.xx more. You want more storage? It'll be $x.xx more.

Sorry, but I had a bad day. I'm tired, and crabby. Maybe I should be this way more often. Not sure, too soon to tell...

TheOtherAndy

macrumors member
May 20, 2018
Outside Milwaukee, WI
So, those chains are pretty awesome, huh... Apple figured out another way to lock down their tech. It kinda sucks worse than before, which sucked quite a bit. I am really resenting that I can't increase the storage on the MBP I'm typing this on. Computers weren't meant to be hammers. A totally locked down 'tool', that is thrown out instead of upgraded. It's kind of depressing if I really think about it. If Apple made the 'SoC' replaceable, or up-gradable, I would feel a little better about it. I would hate to have to pay nearly the same money to upgrade a MBP, but upgrading is saving the rest of the box from being tossed.

Apple's paranoia is wearing on me again. The last time was with my IIcx. I left 'the body' for 6+ years. Not exactly feeling the warm and fuzzes for the 'new normal'...

But Apple is an 'industry leader', and if they succeed in this, others will gleefully follow.
On one hand I agree with you. You only need to look at all the unnecessarily useless 4gb 2014 Mac Minis littering ebay to prove that Apple's solder-it-down strategy is wasteful.

On the other hand, Apple is certainly right when they say that this is more environmentally friendly. Think for a moment about all the little bits they don't need to manufacture by including everything on the chip.

It's a case of both things can be right.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Not much to repair.
Maybe:
The Battery
The Fans
Main Logic board.
Screen.

Thats it. or throw it away.

I'll wait for the Mac mini M1 Max.
Next step: design a machine that can't be opened for repair after leaving the factory. No screw holes to be found. Sleek aluminium body (minus fan holes) without compromise. If there is a crack on the screen, full machine replacement and damaged one got recycled thereafter.

• Haha
Reactions: Rashy

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013

Its a $3000+ electronic device on which nothing is repairable or upgradeable and Apple will force you to upgrade in a few years, by artificially blocking upgrades on perfectly capable hardware, or if a $5 part goes bad, and fill landfills with toxic chemical waste.

This was maybe understandable when the devices were ultra thin, with the new design there's no excuse. And they boast about being 'clean/renewable'.

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
On one hand I agree with you. You only need to look at all the unnecessarily useless 4gb 2014 Mac Minis littering ebay to prove that Apple's solder-it-down strategy is wasteful.

On the other hand, Apple is certainly right when they say that this is more environmentally friendly. Think for a moment about all the little bits they don't need to manufacture by including everything on the chip.

It's a case of both things can be right.

No its not. If I make a car which which has to be trashed and I need to buy a new car if the viper or seatbelt stops working, its not more environment friendly in any way, even if it has far fewer components. Its in fact far far more damaging - just like Apple's devices.

driveparty

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2008
Russia / USA
16" version shows 8 positions for the die for the SSD. 14" version shows 4 on visible side, likely has 4 more on the other side of the PCB.

It would help to know the SSD config of each version shown in the above picts.
Seems to be using same 512GB NAND modules as ones in iphones 11/12, thus upgrading storage should be possible for as cheap as about $100-$120/1TB.
However, still waiting for an in-depth teardown revealing the ICs (by the looks of empty layout patterns, DC-DC power controller & a FET) & all the small passive surroundings. Should be as easy as for iphones, though.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Its a $3000+ electronic device on which nothing is repairable or upgradeable and Apple will force you to upgrade in a few years, by artificially blocking upgrades on perfectly capable hardware, or if a $5 part goes bad, and fill landfills with toxic chemical waste.

This was maybe understandable when the devices were ultra thin, with the new design there's no excuse. And they boast about being 'clean/renewable'.

More on that is available if you search who they actually back.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
It’s supposed to be more efficient (and probably quieter based on the early reviews). It may be more about how the airflow is routed and managed and the details of the fan “blades”.
Compare fan noise from 16" Intel with 16" M1 (2:20)

• Wow
Reactions: Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.