Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
thejadedmonkey said:
whoa....$300 difference for a DVD burner, Bluetooth, and an x1600? Isn't that a bit extreme?

I think it sounds about right.
Don't forget $30 for the remote...haha.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
thejadedmonkey said:
whoa....$300 difference for a DVD burner, 80gigs of space, Bluetooth, and an x1600? Isn't that a bit extreme?

On hindsight that extra 200 bucks does give you a lot... :rolleyes:

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
So the differences?

2 x256 ram sticks instead of a single 512mb.

80gb HDD instead of 160

Combo drive instead of superdrive

INtergrated graphics instead of dedicated

No Bluetooth, or Apple remote.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
screen shot - since the links to the store will automatically die:

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1,163

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
iGary said:
*integrated graphics*

Let the whine fest begin.

No no! No whining this time!

I think this is gr8 news. I whine about it when a family computer like a Mac mini gets the integrated graphics, end makes gaming no option as a result.

As for the educational Mac, I think cost reduction is the most important factor. Leaving out the SuperDrive, Front Row remote (ofcourse, it would have been stolen anyway...) and the X1600 card makes this Mac superb for schools.

Thumbs up on this!
:)

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I quite agree! the one thing that worries me is, does this mean the G5 iMac enclosure is going to stay the same for some time longer now? Or do you think Apple will roll out a new enclosure with the updated iMacs (when ever that happens)

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
I think this is a geat deal but something does worry me...If this is suppose to be for education, I just hope the schools that buy them remember to buy extra ram for Microsoft Office.

macdragonfl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale,Fl
Shame that it is sold only on ED site should sell for everyone! There are many who would buy at that price, and do not need the other features. My parents would buy and be very happy with the features and price. Hopefully it will be released for everyone soon!!!!!!

Zoboomafoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2002
markkk! said:
ugh....IU (bloomington) isn't doing that :eek:

that's because IUB is janky.

I'd penalize IUB if I were apple for their "apple store."

They should just call it the ipod store.

ps. just how many IUB people are on this right now? lol.

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
IU Bloomington

Since your IU Bloomington Apple Store doesn't have it, then just click on the regular Apple Store for Education (instead of the customized IU version) after you choose the Bloomington campus. I just tried it, and it works great.

By the way, this works at all other universities too. Whenever a university has a customized Apple Store, they will also allow access to the regular Apple Store for Education instead.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
Can they sell this to the public rather than just edu??

I love the eMacs at my school.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
Nice to see this lower end iMac, I like the iMac's a lot better over the eMac's and I think it was time to upgrade to all flat-panel computers and/or displays.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
macdragonfl said:
Shame that it is sold only on ED site should sell for everyone! There are many who would buy at that price, and do not need the other features. My parents would buy and be very happy with the features and price. Hopefully it will be released for everyone soon!!!!!!

So tell them already :D Apple changed their minds on the eMac a few years ago when they learned that the general public wanted them.

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
technicolor said:
That's a nice little machine there.

Yes it is. I really would be interested in checking one out. $899 for a iMac formfactor seems really sweet to me. I must inspect more....... heh. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.