Quit your whining - it's embarrassing - seriously.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by j5045096, Mar 3, 2009.

1. j5045096 Guest

http://www.pcworld.com/article/160608/mac_fans_fume_about_updated_desktops.html

I was reading Google News just now and this article pops up; couple this with alot of comments out there on these forums and I'm over it--already. Quit your whining people it's embarassing. First of all, yesterday X amount of dollars got you X amount of computer from Apple.com. Today X amount of dollars gets you X+ amount of computer from Apple.com. It may not have been what you *hoped* for, but nobody got screwed and if you're one of the ones who convinced yourself Apple had "adopted you" as one of it's blessed children and promised to provide for you and nurture you and keep you happy, sorry, it was your personal fantasy. They owe you nothing. Just like your government owes you nothing. Stop with the handout, take care of me mentality. You don't have to buy their computer. Go buy your HP or Dell with AMD processors that run at 14.2Ghz (and come loaded with so much in the registry before you even turn them on that they make a PPC G4 look like a Core i7) and stop wasting time on the boards complaining and whining. SERIOUSLY. It's embarrassing.

Here's what I took from today's announcements...
    For $1200 I can get a LOADED computer with a huge 20" screen and the world's best OS...firewire 800, wireless, plenty of USB ports, super fast ram and a huge hard drive. This offering is MORE than most of you will ever need in a computer and is blazing fast at running OSX.

For more you can get a Mac Pro loaded with the latest processor and RAM...99.3% of you reading this will never NEED a Mac Pro for what you do though you like the idea of owning one. But for those of you who will actually need that kind of power, I trust you're in a lucrative business that makes owning one of these worthwhile and what you're getting today for the buck is more than you would have yesterday.

For the basic user for $599.00 you get a computer you can fit in a purse that has most of the stuff the higher end ones have. It's the novelty item. It looks the same as always which is still cool and not outdated (did they really need to update the look--seriously?) and yeah it's probably over priced considering that once you add the screen you want and the keyboard and mouse and make necessary upgrades (i.e. Ram, hard drive) then you would do better with an iMac but again, it's a NOVELTY. You're paying more for the novelty of it.

So I think Apple did a lot of cool stuff today and here ends your lesson on capitalism, which contrary to popular belief in 2009 still works: if you don't see it the way I presented it you have a choice: go buy something else. Whatever you choose I wish you the best of luck; I only ask one thing: QUIT WHINING. Apple isn't your foster parent and they shouldn't be.

*EDIT: and I'm not trying to be rude; not trying to offend and not trying to have an attitude--I just read about the new releases today and I'm like "man that's cool" and then I read the posts and there's a lot of entitled people and I'm thinking to myself life is too short to whine like this. It really really is.

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

3. j5045096 thread starter Guest

ha. yeah you'd think Steve had more kids than Mrs. Wayans based on the comments and attitudes of some people on these forums today.

Hey, how do you like your 17" MB Pro? I went for the 15" but the 17" looks pretty darn cool and I love the battery technology stuff they built into it.

4. hudsonCrossing macrumors member

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I agree. It seems there are a lot of users here that prop Apple up on a pedestal and expect a lot more from them than they would from any other company. It's likethey think Apple owes them something.

6. Doju macrumors 68000

7. hudsonCrossing macrumors member

how about thanking Apple for the updates....and accepting.....MacGod is Great:D

8. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Any other company and these people just wouldn't buy. The problem is all these people want a new Mac and need to either pay the price or shut up and buy a Dell. Simple as that. The price is the price, if you don't want to buy it don't--Isn't that how consumerism works?

9. iMaclvr macrumors newbie

I'm a new iMac owner, just bought one last week..

10. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

11. j5045096 thread starter Guest

Great point. I'm not sure there's a Dell fan site where thousands of people check for new news each day on the rumored iDell updates...no because Dell computers look and feel no different than HP and Gateway

12. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

This concept is really starting to become irritating. The Mac Pro is "needed" by people because it is the only Mac that has a bunch features you can easily get on Windows systems and they most certainly aren't for business users only. Quad core processing is not some feature that only business users need, that is pure ignorance. Multiple display support, internal RAID, larger memory support, multiple internal disks, these are features readily available on low through high end Windows systems. It is also about value for money, when the same hardware can be had cheaper, or considerably cheaper in the single socket Mac Pro's case then it becomes frustrating to people. There is nothing wrong with wanting to use OS X and not pay a huge premium as far as hardware specification and features are concerned.

13. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

No because we have the internet to bitch and moan on, don't like it stop visiting forums.

14. j5045096 thread starter Guest

No, these features are *wanted* by people. I don't *need* an iPhone. I wanted one because I'm a minimalist and I don't want a camera, iPod and phone (none of which I *need* anyway) in my pocket. I could have carried 4 quarters and used a pay phone. I didn't *want* to. I also *wanted* my iCal and Address book synced with my MBPro. I could have used a DayRunner, I just didn't *want* to. And the list goes on... You need none of this...you *need* food, water and a decent roof over your head. You *want* a machine that supports multiple displays, can hold 32GB of memory and all kinds of other junk. So don't talk to me about ignorance. It's all a luxury and we're a country in a big mess because somehow we forgot to teach the difference between the word *need* and *want* about 2 generations ago. Ask somebody who lived through the Depression or a WWII veteran the difference between a need and a want and then talk to me about ignorance. And let me add that I'm 27 and I don't have a clue about WWII or the Depression...but I at least know I don't have a clue about either one of those things and it took a much tougher generation to survive them both than a bunch of sissy's who "moan on the internet" because they can.

15. iMacmatician macrumors 601

It's not that simple, as maybe in the PC world, today X amount of dollars gets you X++ amount of computer from Dell.com, and so the Mac has gone down in perceived value.

Other complaints reside in core counts (and increased prices) of the Mac Pros, as well as the lack of quad-cores in the iMac. The GPU options don't look too good either. But on the flip side, I think what people seem to be forgetting are the large RAM/HD bumps in the iMac (they don't get both doubled every revision). The Mac Pro also got sizeable RAM/HD bumps, although in that case the price went up for one model too.

I think you mean the other way around, but yes, that is a factor in real-world performance.

16. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

There's a lot of whining, but they're right about Macs being overpriced by far.

Especially in Australia, where prices have jumped by $800 on the top end iMac, $1000 for a base model Pro. There US economy isn't looking great, but it doesn't make the extra $800 any easier to come by. Yes, some of the technology is new, but the NVIDIA GPUs aren't.

What I think is really ironic are the "Get A Mac" ads, saying Macs are for fun, and Windows PCs are for work. I work/internet on my Mac, and use Windows only for games. :rolleyes:

17. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Oh I get it, because people don't need anything other than the basics and others have it harder we can't discuss anything if we are negative about it. Don't like something? Don't complain! You don't need it anyway.

18. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I didn't say I was never going to visit a forum again though did I?

I've learned to put up with people's bitching, doesn't bother me much, doesn't mean I can't comment about it.

Nice Try though.

19. j5045096 thread starter Guest

No but you sound ridiculous to present your argument on how Apple screwed you today by saying you *need* more. That's called entitlement and the world could use a little less of it.

20. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

To all the people who whine about the price of Apple products, as the OP says here, you have choice, you can even build a hackintosh so so so easily, so saying you need OS X for specific programs still doesn't give you license to whine. I'm not worried by the price of Apples products, because as long as their stock price keeps going up i can keep buying their stuff, and being a shareholder im someone who actually has a right to complain, and vote.

Anyway enough about that, the 17" is a thing of sheer beauty, its so portable, it feels like my old 15" MBP, and its like having the power of a desktop on my lap which is cool. It benchmarked higher than my work colleagues Core i7 PC when running Windows 7, which is very funny because ironically this MBP isn't even designed for running Windows :D and he's a proper Windows geek who swears all mac users are gay or retarded, so im really rubbing it in. Plus i get 9 hours out of the battery, on the 9600!! so i have no idea why people are complaining about the new battery? I admit thats not continuous usage, sometimes i might walk away from it for 2 or 3 mins when its in idle, but a whole 9 hour day at work is sweet, and its pretty intensive stuff, X Code Cocoa and C++ programming, and Windows 7 C# Visual Studio '08 stuff, plus my brightness is always on max.

21. msb65 macrumors member

Dude, get over yourself. Waaaaayyyy too philosophical. One of the definitions of a good company is if it provides products that its customers desire. Apple doesn't always do this, thus inviting justified criticism. There is nothing wrong with people demanding good products in exchange for their money.

22. kabunaru Guest

It's human nature to whine. :D

As for me, these updates do not bother me. I am just fine with them and accept them for the way they are.

23. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

No, this is wrong, all shareholder owned companies have a legal obligation to provide the maximum amount of profit for the shareholders and nothing else.

They dont have to care about the environment, they dont have to care about the suppliers, they dont have to care about the customers, the ONLY objective of a shareholder owned company is to make cold, hard cash for its shareholders. Thats the law, if the board and Steve Jobs were to start slashing prices with no foreseeable benefit to the shareholders, and only end up with customers paying less but not selling more products, then the shareholders could form a vote of no confidence and have them all fired, with no pensions, or arrested, which happens more often than you think. What do you think happened last time in the 90's when Steve was sacked as he ran Apple into the ground?...

24. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Are you buying anything? :D

25. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502