R.I.P. Backlit Apple Logo?

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
If true I will terrible miss this iconic trademark but it seems Apple has done away with backlit logos in favor of an iPhone style stainless steel logo.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425929089.867226.jpg

Last edited:

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Yes, I would also be sad to see it go away. Maybe it will continue on pro models indefinitely.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I think it's just because of the thinness...
Hopefully future models will re-introduce it... although I'm not counting on it.

The real signal will be when the MacBook Pro range gets redesigned in the next few years. If that loses the lit logo, it's definitely time to wave goodbye.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I loved that illuminated apple logo, In fact I was hoping they would add one to iPads and iPhone as a notification mechanism.

definitive

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2008
i have no problem with them removing it. i always thought that it was a tacky thing, like spinning rims on cars.

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
Hopefully future models will re-introduce it... although I'm not counting on it.
To me it's a sign that OLED displays are not far behind. I'd be willing to make the tradeoff when OLED displays eventually become available.

For right now, I'll be sticking to my rMBP.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
i have no problem with them removing it. i always thought that it was a tacky thing, like spinning rims on cars.
Yep, me too. One of my professors got annoyed by it once because it would light up all the time and draw attention in the darkened room. I had to reduce the brightness and force it to remain awake.

baypharm

Contributor
Nov 15, 2007
It was a wonderful bit of advertising on Apple's part. Notice on TV how many Apple machines have that glowing apple logo blocked with paper or something. As if we don't know...

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Wondering if it's due to the wifi being integrated within the machine now. The first gen iPad and the older iMacs, the wifi antenna was hidden behind the plastic Apple logo.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Yes, I’ll miss it.

But I think we’ll also move on and get used to it. Just everyone did after they killed the Happy Mac in Jaguar in 2002, and the open- key in 2007 with the aluminum keyboards — and after all the other “classic” things Apple has eventually changed or killed over the years.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Wondering if it's due to the wifi being integrated within the machine now. The first gen iPad and the older iMacs, the wifi antenna was hidden behind the plastic Apple logo.
The antenna on Mac notebooks has usually been located in the hinge, under the plastic cover, not anywhere near the logo on the lid.

taelan28

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2014
To me it's a sign that OLED displays are not far behind. I'd be willing to make the tradeoff when OLED displays eventually become available.

For right now, I'll be sticking to my rMBP.
OLED FTW. I've used them since the Galaxy S2 and there's no comparison. Sure my Surface 2 and Macbook have LCDs but my phone and PSVita have the OLEDs. Forget color accuracy, I want like vivid colors.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68030
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I have a bigger issue with the word 'MacBook' appearing below the screen.
Why? The model name of Apple's portables have always been written under the display dating all the way back to the original PowerBook. The odd ball out is the rMBPs when they moved the text to the belly pan of the machine. Honestly it bothered me that the Retina Pro's don't have it.

No, you are not. That was/is a "trade mark".
I guess it was also Ive's idea to do the same as on iPhones...
I'm gonna miss it. It was instantly iconic and something that set the Macs apart from the PCs. Now the back of the rMB looks like the back of an iPad with the logo turned 90 degrees.

HellasLEAF

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2009
I have to say I am fine with it being gone.

At first it was really cool. But now I feel it is a bit of an over the top advertisement that you have a mac computer.

I prefer the subtly of the new logo. Good design choice by Apple here imo.

quackers82

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Its enough to make me not want to buy one, but i love lights. Apple feedback maybe? The backlit keyboard went away in the 2010 Macbook Air and the 2011 reintroduced it based on feedback.

joewillmott

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012
England
I am pretty sure I know the reason, and it makes perfect sense.

The "light" on the back of older Macbooks is actually just a hole where the screen's back-light shines through. The problem with this is light from behind the screen can also shine through the other way. I have experienced this countless times with my MBA; the sun shines through my lid and makes an Apple-shaped light shine through my screen.

The new design means light cannot shine through and make that annoying Apple shape on your screen. It was pretty bad on my MBA. Not so much on a MBP, although still present.

EDIT: If you want to really see this, turn your screen brightness down and hold your MBA/MBP up to the sun whilst looking at the screen. That's when it's most apparent, although there are other times it can get in the way too.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
like the happy mac on boot up, I'm sad to see this go :(
happy_mac.png

I fear that Apple will do the same thing to the other laptop lines on the next refresh as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.