R.I.P. Backlit Apple Logo?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iFanaddic, Mar 9, 2015.

1. iFanaddic, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015

iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

If true I will terrible miss this iconic trademark but it seems Apple has done away with backlit logos in favor of an iPhone style stainless steel logo.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425929089.867226.jpg

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yes, I would also be sad to see it go away. Maybe it will continue on pro models indefinitely.

3. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

4. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Hopefully future models will re-introduce it... although I'm not counting on it.

The real signal will be when the MacBook Pro range gets redesigned in the next few years. If that loses the lit logo, it's definitely time to wave goodbye.

5. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

Im sure its to make everything work just as apple wants., Conserving power.

6. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I loved that illuminated apple logo, In fact I was hoping they would add one to iPads and iPhone as a notification mechanism.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The logo requires no extra power. It is illuminated by the backlight on the display.

8. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

i have no problem with them removing it. i always thought that it was a tacky thing, like spinning rims on cars.

9. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

To me it's a sign that OLED displays are not far behind. I'd be willing to make the tradeoff when OLED displays eventually become available.

For right now, I'll be sticking to my rMBP.

10. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

11. KALLT macrumors 601

Yep, me too. One of my professors got annoyed by it once because it would light up all the time and draw attention in the darkened room. I had to reduce the brightness and force it to remain awake.

12. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

It was a wonderful bit of advertising on Apple's part. Notice on TV how many Apple machines have that glowing apple logo blocked with paper or something. As if we don't know...

13. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

No, you are not. That was/is a "trade mark".
    I guess it was also Ive's idea to do the same as on iPhones...

14. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I have a bigger issue with the word 'MacBook' appearing below the screen.

15. Mrbobb macrumors 601

16. Hog Milanese macrumors regular

Hog Milanese

Yet another drawback at the expense of thinness.

17. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Wondering if it's due to the wifi being integrated within the machine now. The first gen iPad and the older iMacs, the wifi antenna was hidden behind the plastic Apple logo.

18. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Yes, I’ll miss it.

But I think we’ll also move on and get used to it. Just everyone did after they killed the Happy Mac in Jaguar in 2002, and the open- key in 2007 with the aluminum keyboards — and after all the other “classic” things Apple has eventually changed or killed over the years.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The antenna on Mac notebooks has usually been located in the hinge, under the plastic cover, not anywhere near the logo on the lid.

20. taelan28 macrumors regular

OLED FTW. I've used them since the Galaxy S2 and there's no comparison. Sure my Surface 2 and Macbook have LCDs but my phone and PSVita have the OLEDs. Forget color accuracy, I want like vivid colors.

21. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Why? The model name of Apple's portables have always been written under the display dating all the way back to the original PowerBook. The odd ball out is the rMBPs when they moved the text to the belly pan of the machine. Honestly it bothered me that the Retina Pro's don't have it.

I'm gonna miss it. It was instantly iconic and something that set the Macs apart from the PCs. Now the back of the rMB looks like the back of an iPad with the logo turned 90 degrees.

22. HellasLEAF macrumors member

HellasLEAF

I have to say I am fine with it being gone.

At first it was really cool. But now I feel it is a bit of an over the top advertisement that you have a mac computer.

I prefer the subtly of the new logo. Good design choice by Apple here imo.

23. quackers82 macrumors 6502

Its enough to make me not want to buy one, but i love lights. Apple feedback maybe? The backlit keyboard went away in the 2010 Macbook Air and the 2011 reintroduced it based on feedback.

24. joewillmott macrumors regular

I am pretty sure I know the reason, and it makes perfect sense.

The "light" on the back of older Macbooks is actually just a hole where the screen's back-light shines through. The problem with this is light from behind the screen can also shine through the other way. I have experienced this countless times with my MBA; the sun shines through my lid and makes an Apple-shaped light shine through my screen.

The new design means light cannot shine through and make that annoying Apple shape on your screen. It was pretty bad on my MBA. Not so much on a MBP, although still present.

EDIT: If you want to really see this, turn your screen brightness down and hold your MBA/MBP up to the sun whilst looking at the screen. That's when it's most apparent, although there are other times it can get in the way too.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

like the happy mac on boot up, I'm sad to see this go :(
    happy_mac.png

I fear that Apple will do the same thing to the other laptop lines on the next refresh as well.