R.I.P. Backlit Apple Logo?

Nozuka

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2012
i don't care, because i don't see it while using it. and when i'm not using it, it's not glowing anway..

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
The antenna on Mac notebooks has usually been located in the hinge, under the plastic cover, not anywhere near the logo on the lid.
Right, it's traditionally been inside the black plastic piece. But during the keynote they mentioned they were able to do away with that via an integrated antenna. :)

I'll be curious to see where it is when iFixit does their tear down.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
probably the apple logo is like in imac now..the signals works through the apple logo
They could instead illuminate the macbook line under the screen...but not a big deal

Last edited:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Why? The model name of Apple's portables have always been written under the display dating all the way back to the original PowerBook. The odd ball out is the rMBPs when they moved the text to the belly pan of the machine. Honestly it bothered me that the Retina Pro's don't have it.
I just assumed that was the direction Apple was heading in, so I embraced it. Not a big deal for me, just if I had to criticize any part of the design then that would be it. Where as the lack of a glowing Apple logo doesn't bother me.

bunnspecial

macrumors 604
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Maybe they'll completely regress the design to the last non-illuminated logo they made, and flip it up side down also.

(upside down Apple and all, I still think this was one of the best looking laptops Apple has made)

Attachments

MarcBook

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
United Kingdom
Right, it's traditionally been inside the black plastic piece. But during the keynote they mentioned they were able to do away with that via an integrated antenna. :)

Judging from the photos, it looks like the strip below the display glass (on which 'MacBook' is written) is made of plastic. It appears they've integrated the antenna window into the black frame of the display, rather than in the hinge barrel.

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Maybe they'll completely regress the design to the last non-illuminated logo they made, and flip it up side down also.

(upside down Apple and all, I still think this was one of the best looking laptops Apple has made)
ah, the pismo. good-looking mac. underpowered, dim screen. too much heat. and easily dented or broken. but looked good...

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
It may be iconic, but is it really that big of deal?
agreed. how does it matter anymore? when i got my first mac, it was like a badge of honor (outshining the PC's at starbucks) :D

and it's true...we never see it when we're at our macs.

all this whining about what we're losing (backlit apples, the magsafe adapter, ports) is wearing thin :D:D

lots of people will buy the new macbook, and be happy. and some won't buy it. and life will go on... :cool:

Yr Blues

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
When the sun is directly behind it, you see it through the screen.

When you're trying to be discreet at night, trying to not wake people up or just trying to be private, you can't disable the light without physically covering it up.

It was nice advertising, but I welcome this. I don't want to announce to everyone what I'm doing and what I have.

And sometimes I don't like rubbing it in people's faces.

----------

I have a bigger issue with the word 'MacBook' appearing below the screen.
Yes! I thought it was classy how the MacBook Pro is blank on the screen. Not a distraction.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
They might bring it back. The first revision of the redesigned MacBook Air in 2010 didn't have a backlit keyboard which was, apparently at the time, to help make it thinner. But it came back in 2011. So who knows. Personally I'm fine either way.

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014

The Pismo has a backlit Apple logo. Even the one on my Wallstreet glows, ever so faintly.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here

Now I never understood that! What bad design!

bunnspecial

macrumors 604
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
The Pismo has a backlit Apple logo. Even the one on my Wallstreet glows, ever so faintly.
I've never seen mine glowing...perhaps I've just never had it in a dark enough room!

I guess we'd have to go all the way to the previous generations that still had the rainbow logo on the lid.

h, the pismo. good-looking mac. underpowered, dim screen. too much heat. and easily dented or broken. but looked good...
Underpowered maybe by todays standards, but with a 500mhz processor and 1gb of RAM it was no slouch in 1999...heck you couldn't get a desktop G3 with a 500mhz processor. Cooling is also pretty good-it has a pretty sizeable heatsink and a decent amount of air moving. G3s don't run that hot as a general rule-the clamshell iBooks just use a relatively thin heatsink with no fan.

As for denting...I'm not sure how that would be possible given that the whole thing is plastic.

By 1999 laptop standards the screen is not that dim...in fact it's brighter than the screen on my 2005 Powerbook.

The computer is now 16 years in the past, so I'm not making a case for it, but it is impressive to me that I can still fire it up and get work done on it even with it being that old.

----------

Now I never understood that! What bad design!
Apple logos were always upside on laptops...the idea being that when you are looking at the laptop with the lid closed, the Apple is pointed toward you.

Johnny Ive made the decision on the first Titanium Powerbooks to flip the logo, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Vanilla Face

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2013
I am pretty sure I know the reason, and it makes perfect sense.

The "light" on the back of older Macbooks is actually just a hole where the screen's back-light shines through. The problem with this is light from behind the screen can also shine through the other way. I have experienced this countless times with my MBA; the sun shines through my lid and makes an Apple-shaped light shine through my screen.

The new design means light cannot shine through and make that annoying Apple shape on your screen. It was pretty bad on my MBA. Not so much on a MBP, although still present.
This times a million. I'm so relieved that the new Macbook won't have this flaw. For the longest time I thought that I had damaged my macbook because I dropped something on it and that the light shinning through was my fault. I was relieved to know I didn't caused it, but that shortly turned to irritation.

Good riddance.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

In the below picture you can see the long speaker grill. Behind that is the speaker/antenna assembly. It's not in the display.

Attachments

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston

The pismo was probably one of the best laptops that apple made.