Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I had a chance to check out Radioshack's Twitter(@radioshack) and they will begin preordering Tuesday in addition to AT&T/Apple. They've also sweetened the pot and they offering a $100 credit for a 3G and a $200 credit for the 3GS towards the new iPhone 4 as long as you're upgrade elgible.

Kind of a rip off. You can get $300 cash on Gazelle today. They even pay for postage.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
Well no radioshack for me. They told me that i can't purchase the iPhone at full price since i don't qualify for an upgrade. And the store rep actually tryed to tell me that the only way i can get one anywhere would be to open a second line :rolleyes:

vinay427

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2008
Just letting people know, there is a website called FlipSwap that buys used iPhones for much more than the $100/200 RadioShack price. However, I'm not sure how reputable the site is, but its worth a look!

For example, my 8GB 3G will get $153.

http://greenphone.com/search/iPhone

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Just letting people know, there is a website called FlipSwap that buys used iPhones for much more than the $100/200 RadioShack price. However, I'm not sure how reputable the site is, but its worth a look!

For example, my 8GB 3G will get $153.

http://greenphone.com/search/iPhone

There are a TON of complaints online about flipswap.com

I have had good luck with the Best Buy Trade In Center. I may get a little less, but I've gotten good service.

My 1st gen iPhone 8GB is going to get me an $80 Best Buy gift card, which in this house, is as good as cash. :)

I will be selling my 3G 16Gb through them too when I get the 4.

bhansensfd

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2008
I looked at Radio Shacks site and called two local Radio Shacks and they know nothing about this and said they still arent sure they will be offering any pre orders on the IPhone. I am not saying what was posted is untrue just passing along the info I received.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
the more I read about this Radioshack deal the more appealing it seems...the option to trade in lessens the blow of buying at the discounted price if you can't get a FULL upgrade

iKristen

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2009
Cali
My husband and I traded in our iphones for our evos. We put $100 down ($50 for each of us) which goes towards the the new phones. With the trade in we paid $120 out of pocket for 2 phones which isn't too shabby.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
I looked at Radio Shacks site and called two local Radio Shacks and they know nothing about this and said they still arent sure they will be offering any pre orders on the IPhone. I am not saying what was posted is untrue just passing along the info I received.

it's all over Radioshack's twitter

bhansensfd

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2008
I called a third Radio Shack and they put me on a waiting list for pre orders and confirmed what was originally posted. They stated that the trade in value is subjective to the condition of the phone and may go down based on popularity. Guess the other two are in the dark or not participating.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
just an fyi to everyone bestbuy.com/tradein got me a $322 Giftcard for my 3GS pretty good for not having to deal with CL or Ebay

YES! I am glad I'm not the only one who has found this option to be a good one.

I have sold other things through them, and have always had great service, and good communication withthem.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I called a third Radio Shack and they put me on a waiting list for pre orders and confirmed what was originally posted. They stated that the trade in value is subjective to the condition of the phone and may go down based on popularity. Guess the other two are in the dark or not participating.

I just get the feeling with Radioshack that the individually owned and operated stores can be a little quirky.

Loves2spoon

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
California
I'll put mine on craigslist after the i4 arrives. I got $200 each for 3 of my original iPhones last year, should get the same or more to cover cost+tax+$18 upgrade fee.

phrint

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Ohio
eBay is the best way to go here. A 32GB 3GS that is unlocked/jailbroken is easily going for $500 plus on eBay and will continue to do so for quite a while after iPhone 4 goes on sale. Radio Shack will probably hack them all and sell them for a huge profit on the Bay.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I was offered $304 from both Best Buy.com and Gazelle.com. The problem is that I am not upgrade eligible and $499 is the best price I can get the iPhone 4 until 5/31/2011. I like the phone, but $499 is a little steep. Its on eBay right now. 1 day, 2 hours and no bids!

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
eBay is the best way to go here. A 32GB 3GS that is unlocked/jailbroken is easily going for $500 plus on eBay and will continue to do so for quite a while after iPhone 4 goes on sale. Radio Shack will probably hack them all and sell them for a huge profit on the Bay.

If you are just trying to do a straight swap then best buy would be your best option. With the new rules any joe can come online buy your phone, receive it and say they never got it or just got an equally weighted brick. No way to prove it unless maybe you get a signed written statement from an individual @ ups or fedex saying that they confirmed and used the phone before they shipped it lol.

Plus ebay and CL will be loaded with these things for some time to come. Prices always get depressed when the supply is plentiful.

divabimbers

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2007
This topic is pertinent to me as I'd like to get the iPhone 4 and if I can save some money, that'd be great. That said, I've got the original 8 GB iPhone though need to fix it before I do anything with it (won't turn on) and a 16 GB 3G iPhone which works. I've never done anything like this so don't know where to go for the best value. I'm guessing ebay but I'm a little nervous about being screwed over considering it happened before when I was trying to offload my PSP. Any advice would be appreciated as I'd like to get the most bang for my buck. I will say that the trade-in sites look appealing but has anyone even had any personal experience with them? If not, I suppose there's always talking with Best Buy and Radio Shack. Thanks in advance.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
This topic is pertinent to me as I'd like to get the iPhone 4 and if I can save some money, that'd be great. That said, I've got the original 8 GB iPhone though need to fix it before I do anything with it (won't turn on) and a 16 GB 3G iPhone which works. I've never done anything like this so don't know where to go for the best value. I'm guessing ebay but I'm a little nervous about being screwed over considering it happened before when I was trying to offload my PSP. Any advice would be appreciated as I'd like to get the most bang for my buck. I will say that the trade-in sites look appealing but has anyone even had any personal experience with them? If not, I suppose there's always talking with Best Buy and Radio Shack. Thanks in advance.

Read some of the predictable, yet sobering, complaints about flipswap.com, and that will send you straight to Best Buy Trade In...(At least it would for me, even though I have used the Best Buy trade in option before).

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Question about Best Buy Trade-In...according to their site I quality for a $299 gift card, or a $195 mail check.

Can you use Gift Cards for purchases towards new mobile phones? If so, I'll do that. If not, I can get more than $195 on eBay right now.

I've never used Best Buy trade in so I'm not sure if they set rules on how you can use their gift cards.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
Question about Best Buy Trade-In...according to their site I quality for a $299 gift card, or a $195 mail check.

Can you use Gift Cards for purchases towards new mobile phones? If so, I'll do that. If not, I can get more than $195 on eBay right now.

I've never used Best Buy trade in so I'm not sure if they set rules on how you can use their gift cards.

gift card should be good for any product in the store. I will be using my giftcard to buy the iphone 4 on launch day

ajsimeon

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
For both the radio shack and best buy trade in, did you have to purchase your phone from the respective stores to trade trade them in?

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
For both the radio shack and best buy trade in, did you have to purchase your phone from the respective stores to trade trade them in?

not sure about radio shack but you can do best buys online trade in no matter where you got it, but in store would only be if purchased there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.