RadioShack Preorder

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jkim3691, Oct 10, 2011.

1. jkim3691 macrumors 6502a

I missed out on the online pre-orders on 10/7 because I didn't have the money at the time to do it. I decided I would just try my luck by walking into a store and buying it the 14th.

Today I decided to go to ATT and ask what the process is going to be like. The rep said they don't really know how much they're getting or what the procedure is going to be like. She said however last year since most were preorders, there wasn't much chaos at the store.

Then I decided to go to Radioshack since the one near my house is in a pretty quiet neighborhood. I asked the employee if they were going to get the iPhone 4s on Friday and she told me no. However, she said that they are taking pre-order reservations and that they could provide those who do so with an iPhone 4s. She checked my eligibility and that went through. Radioshack has a form for pre-order reservations so she filled that out and ordered me a 16gig black ATT 4s. She said I HAD to come in between the 3 day window of the 14th-16th to pick it up. I told her that's fine with me and that I'll be there Friday morning as soon as they open. She gave me a gift card for my $50 deposit and I was on my way.

2. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

3. rkahl macrumors 65816

Good luck with that. You might as well just sleep in that morning.

4. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I was told something similar when I went to RadioShack a few days ago. The guy told me that they'd have it for me on the 14th if I preordered, but I didn't trust him.

I highly doubt you're going to get it on Friday.

If you do, lucky you!

5. jkim3691 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Before I left the store, I very clearly asked if I was going to have the phone on Friday and she told me yes. I also asked the manager while they were ordering it.

The agreement that they made me sign was that I had to come in between the 14th-16th anyways.

6. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

They told me that last year with the iPhone 4 also.

7. rkahl macrumors 65816

I was told the same exact thing for the iPhone 4 release by the manager. But HEY, you can alway's use that $50 giftcard on speaker wire!

----------

LOL, I swear I'm not copying your posts!

8. jkim3691 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ugh, what happened then last year to you guys?

9. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

hahahahaha.

10. rkahl macrumors 65816

I knew better, I pre-ordered from Apple.

11. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

Radio Shack didn't receive a single phone.

I camped out at the Apple store.

Radio Shack called about 2 weeks later and offered me a 16GB version (I ordered 32GB).

12. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

yea last year Radio Shack didnt get any iPhones in the first day, going there is pointless

Youll be able to walk into the Apple store the first day im sure and grab one

13. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

In Orlando, if you did not arrive at the Apple store at 10 PM the night before and you did not have a pre-order, you did not get one.

14. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

I had a great experience with Radioshack last year...granted I didn't attempt to get an iPhone 4 until early July...I recall calling one location and they said they had it...I drove over and picked it up...the value in using the Shack is that you can trade in items towards your purchase...this year my old xbox and broken iPod touch are going towards my 4S

15. jkim3691 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Last year, my friend walked in on the morning of the release to a Radioshack and got a 32gig no problem. He also got a free case with the phone. He also said the manager checked inventory at other Radioshacks and got them to hold onto phones for customers that weren't able to receive one in that particular store.

16. dfnj123, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

dfnj123 macrumors 6502

I work at RadioShack and right now we're being told anyone who pre-orders is getting a phone at launch. Our pre-order system is still letting people people reserve phones as of today (I did two 16GB black verizon models earlier today)... Supposedly our pre-order system should shut down once all the allotment of launch day iPhone 4S's are ordered. Therefore no one will be able to pre-order if their phone will not be at store on launch...

... but to be honest I'm not sure. From what I heard of last year, there were a lot of promises made to both customers and employees on the ammount of iPhone 4s that would arrive to stores and they did not end up being true. Large shipments that were promised for the iPhone 4 launch took weeks to arrive...

Hopefully RS corporate has gotten their act together on this one... but if someone does order an i4S from Radioshack, and it doesn't arrive on launch day (even though it should), PLEASE don't complain the the employees at the store. This whole launch thing is just something completely out of our control...

17. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Tell me about it...I used to work in electronics retail like you, and customers always used to get pissed at me for things that weren't even my fault. It's like, they're angry, so they get pissed at whoever's in front of them.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

That's false. I got an iPhone 4 at RS on launch day.

It wasn't very well organized - in fact - you could only call and get on a wait list - which they then just scrapped and did first come/first served. And they only had around 4-10 phones based on your geo/sales volume.

This year - they actually have the same online tool as Apple, ATT, etc to pre-order so I suspect it's more legit. Last year it was pretty under the table it appeared.

19. dfnj123 macrumors 6502

This year does seem to be MUCH better organized than last year...

20. megapopular macrumors 6502a

I wish...

they called it Radio Mansion... Radio Shack just sounds so cheap and not so classy.

21. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

Same here... Walked right in and bought an iPhone 4 16gb. I preordered my 4s 32gb at RadioShack to as soon as my local store opened on the 7th. Will be waiting for launch day.

22. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Nah, it's a good strategy. There's an AT&T store near me that is off the beaten path. I bought my iPhone 3GS in the afternoon and was about 12th in line.

23. rkahl macrumors 65816

I guess if you had no other choice... fool me twice!!!

24. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

not to mention, Radio Shack will try and MAKE you purchase an accessory for the phone.

1 manager last year said it was required to purchase a case or scree protector

25. trido macrumors newbie

trido

I did the same I think will work fine I did this last year , now I know the store manager real well.So what I do is call them thursday they should atleast say yes we received them stop buy friday whenwe open.

As long as the RS person got your order into their system I think you will be fine on Friday.