RadioShack To Sell iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 6, 2009.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In a brief press release today, RadioShack announced that it will begin selling the iPhone starting with the Dallas-Fort Worth and New York City markets later this month. RadioShack plans to sell the iPhone across the U.S. in 2010.

Last year The Boy Genius Report reported that Best Buy and Radio Shack would begin selling the iPhone. Best Buy began selling the iPhone in September 2008.

Article Link: RadioShack To Sell iPhone

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Radio Shack sucks and needs to go out of business.

3. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

4. atticus27 macrumors regular

atticus27

cool the 6 people who shop there can now buy iphones.

5. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

wonder if there will be any employee discount? I highly doubt it. how much does the store make for each phone sold? 10 bucks?

6. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Ditto. Radio Shack needs to die.

Don

7. harodude macrumors regular

HORRIBLE...

I never go to "The Shack" for anything but cheapo, one time use stuff(at least that is what happens with most of the stuff I buy there)...

HOW CAN THEY SELL THE IPHONE!!?

8. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

It's difficult to find various electrodes, capacitors, transistors &c there anymore. So I don't see the point in going to them.

Unless you like the cheapest built consumer products at mid level grade product prices.

Now if they were offering unlocked and jailbroken iPhones...;)

9. Cougarcat macrumors 604

You kind of have your wish...their name is dying. In 2010 they are rebranding as "The Shack" :rolleyes:

10. space1nvaders macrumors regular

What is Radio Shack?

Every time I go into Radio Shack for an electronic part or some gadget they never have it. Now they want to be a cell phone store. If they are going to start selling Apple products or be another AT&T store they will be just like everyone else. I don't know how they stay in business. Why doesn't Microsoft take them over and turn them into MS stores? At least it would be a more interesting experience that looking at a bunch of phones.

11. joshuwack macrumors member

that's about as useful as a poopie-flavored lollipop.

12. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

im sorry but everybody here is an idiot. The more places the iphone is offered, the better market penetration Apple has. The iPhone isnt like the Mac that its all premium and omg needs to look like this and that to be sold.

Its a mass market product. Just like how the iPod is sold every time, the iPhone is the same as well. Otherwise, in a few years, the Android is going to destroy the market share of the iPhone because it is sold everywhere in every phone.

13. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

What?! Another place proles can get it?! Wal-Mart already sells iPhones.. any old Joe can get one now, what?! Ugh they're ruining the "image"!!!!

So .........

seriously, who cares? The only reason I came to post is MacRumors is putting "the" in front of Apple products. It's not "The iPhone", it's "iPhone".

I love that terminology, just like how nike calls everything singular. Hi, I picked up iPhone, sock, and shoe lace today! Oh I also got Jordan Shoe!! I almost bought iMac, but it had reservations about me buying it because I don't own a BMW

14. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

I haven't been to a Radio Shack in like 10 years or more. If I need some odd adapter or cable it's usually cheaper to order it online anyway. I am surprised Radio Shack has lasted as long as they have.

15. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

Android probably will have the lions share of the market because it will be on so many devices. Not one Android device will have huge marketshare but the combined will.

Strength in numbers, rather than Apple's one ( or many another in the future ) device.

Android will outsell iPhone.

There can't be anything bad about more retail stores selling the iPhone - more opportunities for selling. Best Buy already sell cell phones...

16. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Um wow, that sounds like a name for a brothel.

Don

17. danbirchall macrumors member

Makes sense.

Radio Shack sells iPods. It sells iPod accessories. It sells iPod-docking clocks, radios and so on. It sells headphones, speakers and connector cables that can be used with iPods.

Radio Shack sells mobile phones. It sells mobile phone accessories. And I'm pretty sure it sells plans on multiple providers.

So it seems entirely sensible for Radio Shack to sell iPhones. Having one more place in town I can get iPhones and iPhone stuff isn't the end of the world.

18. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

Wow, I always forget about Radio Shack. That used to be the only place to go to get loose components. Haven't been to one for years though, so I have no idea what's keeping them in business.

Seriously though, "The Shack"-- is that for real? With the old name, I guess I always focused on the "Radio" part. The new branding really drives home the neglected building part of it though. What's the next rebranding going to be? RamShackle? Gadget Shanty?

Oy...

19. DMann macrumors 601

DMann

LOL!

20. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Wow. Do these stores still exist?

Most of you are probably too young to remember the days when you bought something at Radio Shack and they demanded your Name, Address, Zip, Phone Number, Shoe size... all kinds of crap. God forbid you missed a Christmas catalog from the bastards.

I bought a 29 cent fuse there once and was in a hurry. I refused to give the clerk my life's credentials for the 106th time that year and he threw a fit. So I put a buck on the counter and walked out. That was in 1989... the last time I've ever been in one of those overpriced crapholes.

21. RazHyena macrumors 6502a

RazHyena

Why iPhone elitists are downplaying the significance of the iPhone being present in more retail outlets is beyond me. :rolleyes:

Oh well. *shrugs*

22. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I hate what Radio Shack has become. If I want a TV I'll go to Best Buy or something. What happened to the place where geeks could go get RC cars, adapters and components for stuff?

23. Clayne macrumors 6502

I was surprised to see my area being the first, D/FW.

But I never go to radioshack, and probably still won't.

24. Applepi macrumors 6502a

Applepi

How is Radio Shack not dead yet? Even the iPhone can't save them, I smell a last ditch effort to stay relevant.

25. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

They stay in business because 90% of the money is made from their commodities trading and market making. The stores are just for tax purposes.