Ran over my new iPhone 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by treycopeland86, Sep 30, 2013.

1. treycopeland86 macrumors newbie

I have a Space Gray 64GB iPhone 5S and had an accidental damage incident this past weekend.

As I was getting out of my truck, it slipped out of my lap and on to the gravel driveway. When it was time to leave, I got back in my truck and backed up. Unknowingly, my iPhone was being ran over.

The back side of the iPhone was down on the gravel and the glass part was ran over. It made contact with my T/A KOs.

The front glass suffered no scratchs, marks, cracks, or anything.

Will Apple replace this?

[​IMG]

2. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

If you have AppleCare+ they will for the fee. If not they can replace it for the full, out of warranty fee.

3. Rich74 macrumors regular

Unless you have insurance on the phone, I doubt it very much.

4. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

And because it has to be done.

Attached Files:

• haha.jpg
      haha.jpg
      File size:
      28.4 KB
      Views:
  5. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

This couldve been avoided had you put on a case :)

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Obligatory 'you made a mistake and you want someone else to pay for it' rant:

Hmm, that pretty much sums it up.

7. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Maybe he doesn't like cases :)

8. Kemonsterr macrumors 6502

Kemonsterr

They usually don't with AppleCare unless the functionality is affected. They won't replace it to make it look pretty.

That's PROBLY your best bet though with AppleCare.

9. noobinator macrumors 601

yeah I'm sure they'll replace it for free no questions asked!

10. treycopeland86 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will never use a case or screen protector. It takes away from the awesome size and feel of the phone.

11. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

But you're destroying your new iPhone.

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

13. treycopeland86 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is correct.

14. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

You dun goof'd OP.

15. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

And probably no AppleCare + either we bet. Now you pay for it. :rolleyes:

16. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

AppleCare wont replace but AppleCare+ will.

If you have AppleCare+ it'll cost you $79 to get it fixed. This covers against accidental damage, like dropping, water damage etc.
    If you dont it'll cost you around $229, your biggest problem is finding a store with phones in stock to replace it with.

You may also be able to claim on your house insurance, if you dont mind your premiums going up.

17. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Never use a case.

18. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

I agree. I bought my phone partly because of the looks. Dont get those who put it in a bullet proof case to make it look like my old nokia.

I have a leather slip case to keep it safe in my pocket with keys but thats it. Day to day usage I get to feel its hard metal goodness in my hands.

So tell us, do you have AppleCare+?

19. Rlkv011 macrumors regular

If you used a credit card all the major credit card companies have some sort of purchase protection insurance. Try calling your credit card company.

20. rx7dude macrumors regular

rx7dude

21. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I can understand the "never use a case" people, but I have got to know...

How many of you walk around for a year or two with these phones, letting them get dinged and scratched up...

Then, right before a launch, take them to Apple claiming you dropped them or they aren't working properly and use AppleCare+ to get a shiny new one to sell?

You're the reason the deductible went up.

22. scaredpoet, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Even if you have AppleCare+ OP, I would just suck it up, put the phone in a case (you've already "ruined" the design, what good is it now to keep it naked?) and just keep on using it for now. WHo knows if you're going to do something later that will shatter the screen? You've only got two replacements for accidental damage, and if you're already out of the gate with some damage, that doesn't bode well.

And without AppleCare, that's $269 out of pocket to get it replaced by Apple. Are the dings worth that much?

If the phone's working fine, just chalk up the scratches and dents to giving your iPhone 5S a unique bit of character and a story to tell.

I do feel your pain though. When I fist dinged my black iPhone 5, I was shouting obscenities for hours, and staring at the tiny little ding for days afterwards. But I held onto it, and was thankful for that because later when I dropped it and cracked the screen, I replaced it THEN and still had one replacement left. If I had been impatient, that would've been it for my Applecare's ADH.

DO check out the phone though to make sure everything works: cameras, flash, speakers, microphones, battery life, can still make and receive calls, LTE, WiFi, everything.

23. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

But, dude could have bought a sleek, leather, fits-like-a-glove Apple case and it would've protected against scratches. ;)

24. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

But AppleCare+ would replace your phone if you dropped it in creek and then stepped on it while trying to retrieve it causing the scratched back, Just sayin:)

25. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

I dont have AppleCare either. If it gets damaged to the point of uselessness I would look at the house insurance.

AC+ doesnt cover cosmetic damage. If the unit works, its not covered. So you would need to crack the screen or take it for a swim. Or if your American just shoot it, everyone over there has a gun right?