Rather Bummed Out about no Blu Ray

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by HD Shooter, Jan 16, 2008.

1. HD Shooter macrumors member

I have invested heavily in Apple hardware and software and I really feel let down by not having the blu ray burner as an option for the new pros.

I am all set to replace TWO G5s that have served thier time and are just too slow to crunch HD to DVD.

I am behind my competition who usues Adobe products and a God D_M PC!!!!

I actually really hate working on any kind of lap top so the "AIR" is just a pretty piece of metal to me... I do love wifi on my iphone though:)
    ( YES laptops have thier place but not for me )

SO, I just had to vent and wanted to see how many video pros are in my shoes. Stuck with Mac and FCP with no REAL HD delivery to the end user.
    Toast will only do DATA. I tried HD DVD burns but it was not ready for prime time as the mac burned disks would not play on all HDDVD players.

I have actually considered switching to PC and Adobe just on principle.

WHY no BR burner option? Are we being force fed Apple TV? Are we supposed to take our 1080 footage and compress it so we can hand a customer a 720P apple TV?

I know premier will let me burn br but I really don't want to spend $1700 x 2 and learn new softare. Come on aapl !!!!

2. yesthisisapc macrumors member

Alright, seriously, quit your freakin' whining. You can just buy a 3rd party blu-ray drive like I have. Apple is making a smart move not picking a side this early on. The Warner/Blu-Ray cross just happened, so it's not like they could just go "HEY GUYS LETS GO MACWORLD HURRY HURRY HURRY."

Oops, didn't realise Toast only does data

--edit--

Wait, $1700 x2? Where the hell are you getting your burner? My single BR cost me $600, and it was one of the pricier options.

3. HD Shooter thread starter macrumors member

Whining?

Who is whining? Do you really think Apple does things like wait for Warner etc to act? My question is why can Adobe do this on mac machines and Apple can't.

I have been reading here and other video forums and the consensus regarding the lack of BR burning capability is that it is rediculous. Sony can do it on their PCs via software that costs about half what FCP does.

Look fruitcake.... I am a LONG time mac user... as in since the early 80's. I don't need to kiss apple anus like you. Apple has this sorted out and they are just positioning for some reason or another. Do you really think they need to suddenly develop this capability? Google "Apple and Blu ray", the news you get is YEARS old about how an apple blu ray burner is IMMINENT!

I make money with my machines. The lack of HD delivery is costing me MONEY. AAPL is so cash rich they can spend a few bucks to keep the hard core users happy... The tech is there, since there are no handicaps with the adobe software, re: HDCP etc, then everything is in place right?

I would pay for an "upgrade" to FCS3 with bluray authoring if need be. They don't make BR drives. Just update DVDSP and give us the option the stay in FCS please.

4. HD Shooter thread starter macrumors member

$1700 x 2

That was for the Adobe software suite. I would need to buy two for my two systems AFAIK. Do you always come off in such a confrontational tone?

5. GreyHare macrumors member

GreyHare

So... what's stopping you from buying a BD burner from NewEgg and putting it in the #2 optical bay?

6. yesthisisapc macrumors member

I have to wonder how you wouldn't end up spending that much in the first place, considering Apple (yes, that's right, I referred to the company name, not the stock, gasp) typically gouges the **** out of people for things like first party upgrades. You'd probably end up spending at least $1100 on a first party drive to begin with.

I think Apple does things like make sure that they don't implement standards into systems if those may not be standards in the near future. Companies need to make sure that an investment isn't going to bite them in the ass in the future.

Wow, a personal attack, and you call me confrontational. Why is it that people like you ALWAYS pull the "I've been using product X for so many years, I'm right, RAARARARRRRGH!" attitude whenever something doesn't go just right? I'm not kissing ANY anus. In fact, you state in your post that there ARE ways for you to do just what you want to, but you won't follow them because of the cost. If this decision is TRULY costing you so much money, maybe you should spend some more while you still have the chance.

Yeah, I'm sure things like the cinema displays not being HDCP compliant aren't handicaps at all. Apple won't make a move until their products can actually work to the proper extent with their other products. I've been using Apple products for enough time to have noticed this pattern. Consequently, until the displays are updated with HDCP (oh hey, more money to spend, if you want to stick with Apple products) you're SOL.

7. HD Shooter thread starter macrumors member

WOW you really know me!

As I said in my original post where you replied for me to stop whining....

I have invested heavily into my Mac systems and Mac software in both time and money.

You burn data just fine right? You are really on the cutting edge, you must feel very special.

I am ready to spend about 15-20k on Towers and maybe displays ( that would be more). You say go ahead and spend an additional $3400 Plus the time to learn new software (which is really expensive). Forget the hours of tutorials I have in FCS. Retrain my people too, thats free right?

When did Apple join the BR Club? Did you think they did some research to maybe allow users of their very profitable video software to MAYBE burn BR disks? MAYBE? Like a few YEARS ago? They said HD DVD was OK to go but not really. Somewhat of an abortion. They saw the writing on the wall.

There is a blue laser option in DVDSP but not sure what that will do.

HDCP is an issue to play movies that have the that copy protection scheme applied. If video pros want to be able to deliver on BR they will need to go to Adobe and third party burners. Even without needing copy protection.

Yes apple charges a premium for stuff when people don't want to mess with the inside of the machine. I personally will open mine up in a minute. Apple solutions are usually super elegant and given I keep my machines for a long time I USUALLY don't mind the premium.

The only thing I can think about that would keep the DVDSP / BR burn capability from happening is that the HDCP issue is in the way and apple wants to offer the whole enchilada with BR movie playback as well as burning.

If so that really stinks for video pros who don't really care about playing movies on their computers.

8. yesthisisapc macrumors member

Once again, you continue to whine and make personal attacks. Bravo.

Let me ask you this, in all your bitching did you ever once ask yourself "So, do I have any other option?" Because this is the sort of thing that anywhere else, you'd be told to take it to your livejournal.

9. ChrisA macrumors G4

Got a screwdriver?

That about all you'd need to connect a BL drive to your current computer. The current version of "Toast" supports Blue ray drives.

What next? Some graphic artist will complain that macs don't ship with Wacom graphic tablets. Just buy one and plug it in.

10. yesthisisapc macrumors member

He has a valid point in that toast doesn't support BR video, that's about it. The rest is anything else you'd experience with a new technology.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Mac software that will burn BD video. Neither iDVD nor DSP support BD. There also is no 3rd party solution, at least affordable. THAT's what stopping us.

12. HD Shooter thread starter macrumors member

Classic

I posted this primarily to see if I was alone in thinking that the FCS suite was seriously lacking without BR authoring capability.

Instead I got some nut that has no idea about my concern telling me to stop whining. Chupa is dead on.

I will now stop replying you mr "pc" because it is obvious you have no idea about what I am saying and just parroting other people. Go bother someone else with a serious issue...

NOW,

Can someone really read and reply coherently regarding a possible guestimated timeline for BR authoring in FCS2 or 3? Really as I mentioned this is NOT NEW TECH!

Apple was on DVD like stink on S&#T when that came out and blew peoples minds back then.

Yes there is a business model involved (risk/reward) but seriously how expensive can it be to add this capability to an existing software platform. I will listen to well formed logical replies about why we can't have this as an option. Until then anyone who has no idea about this subject please refrain from exposing your ignorance.

Thanks to all in advance :D

13. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I'd like a HD burner option sometime SOON. I don't care which one!

14. Blogger macrumors 6502

I'd like a 1973 Turkish Cypriot doner kebab with hot sauce from Earls's court. Unfortunately, I'm 8000 miles and 35 years away.

15. Catch macrumors 6502

For what its worth, I am totally agreeing with you. I am stunned that Apple has not added the option AND support for BR in their new MacPros. I waited to upgrade my old Pro machine until this latest generation hoping it would support BR. I still had to buy in now as I did not want to wait any longer.

What happened to Apples previous statements regarding year of HD etc etc?

Its a joke to be positioning the Mac platform as a "high end" editing platform without native application support across the whole range of Pro software for at least one HD format to output to. What are they thinking?

Regards,

C

16. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I'll tell you why I want Apple to add a bluray option - because once they do then the low end machines will finally get a dvd-r drive instead of the pathetic insulting cd-r drive they put in their low end machines now.

17. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

i can't wait until the stupid HD WARS are over, it has become the opposite of what competition is supposed to be, paralyzing the industry instead of moving it forward... :confused:

18. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I'm probably getting the wrong end of the stick but the Toast Product Page says:

Blu-ray Disc Support: Burn up to 50 GB - 12,500 music tracks, or 50,000 photos, or 4 hours of raw HD video.

Am I being thick? :confused:

19. Catch macrumors 6502

Just because it can "store" HD video does not mean it can burn a disc that will have "playback" in a BR player. I think thats a pretty big limitation. Don't get me wrong I am equally bummed about not having the built in BR option to back up data...

Regards,

C

20. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

Apple needs to make a Bluray USB drive in the same form factor as the AppleTV and Airport that can sit right on top of the AppleTV to watch Bluray movies and also connect it to a laptop.

21. Catch macrumors 6502

Totally agree with what you said. I really hope that this delay in adopting BR by Apple is not to get people to focus on downloadable content creation and provision...

C

22. rcgrabbag macrumors newbie

I hear ya brother (sister?). I was disappointed too and made a similar post earlier in the week. Some feel Blu-ray may still be coming, perhaps with Leopard 10.5.2. It's hard to imagine Apple being content to create a cutting edge Mac Pro with a yester-tech optical drive, but with the direction Apple TV and iTunes is taking, maybe they are. Well, if Blu ray never comes to the Mac, you can always load Windows XP on your Mac and go that route, which kind of defeats the purpose buying a Mac in the first place, but at least it's an option.

23. yesthisisapc macrumors member

See catch's response. Basically Roxio is being kinda sly and saying "Well, the FILES are that big"

24. HD Shooter thread starter macrumors member

Unreasonable?

I think asking for BR disk authoring is NOT asking for much at all. Google "Apple and Blu Ray". The first link is OLD (in years) about how apple is close to releasing BR drives. There was speculation LAST Macworld about BR burners.

Toast will store RAW HD as a file that can't be played in a BR player. That could be handy, but for pros who want to offer clients BR disk delivery we need to send them to our competition with PCs and/or Adobe software.

I am trying hard not to go into the conspiracy theory that Apple is force feeding us Apple TV as some kind of delivery option. Would they do this? What is the hold up? If they can make the MBA then they could give us BR authoring via FCS2 or 3 in thier sleep!

How much do programmers make? 250k per year? Take three or four of them for one year, put them in a closet and tell them not to come out until it is done:D They will still have over one billion in cash left, plus make a well entrenched and LOYAL customer base VERY happy!

I contend that they have the software, hardware and everything else needed but are holding out for some reason. We are not a threat to Apple TV if we start producing BR disks!

I am somewhat surprised how many people think that BR authoring is possible via Toast! Regardless of expense what are the options to edit in FCP and export to a BR capable authoring software?

25. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

There is a reason DVD Studio Pro was not updated with Final Cut Studio 2.

Either DVD Studio Pro's development wasn't finished or Apple wanted to wait until the Blu-ray had matured. I would bet that you are going to see some news in April out of NAB regarding Blu-ray.

Cross your fingers it's a free/cheap upgrade for current Final Cut Studio 2 owners, and not a 2.5 release.