Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does the power button of your SE make rattling noise?

• Yes, it does.

Votes: 90 62.9%
  • No, it does not.

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • I have no idea and do not want to know it.

Votes: 26 18.2%

• Total voters

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
My 6S Plus didn't have a rattle, but SE and 5S definitely do/did but like I said, the apple leather case stops it happening and I ALWAYS use apple leather cases.

Not exactly a "fix" but it's good enough for me.
Hello. Could you mind briefly introducing what the "rattle" mean on iPhone SE?
The power button is not always in place? Or video footage is rattling during recording?
Many thanks.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
It's just the way the phone is designed. Nothing is broken. The "button" is just a cap on the actual switch and sits there held in by the case. It's free to wiggle a bit.

It one of these phones doesn't do this it is probably defective since the parts are misaligned or something is stuck in between.

Good point! That's exactly what I was thinking as well. It does indeed seem that the majority of iPhones SE have rattling power buttons, it is a fact: my gut feeling tells me that it must clearly have been Apple's design choice (after some proper testing and years of experience with the production of iPhones 5/5S).

The thing is that I cannot figure out how this power button actually works on the inside of the iPhone. These iFixit photos of their recent teardown do give some clarity, but it is not entirely clear why exactly some buttons do and others don't rattle. Maybe there are people on this forum who can shed light on this.
ixxxk2.png
1z2ftrc.png
24y95it.png

The fact is... if it is perfectly normal for power buttons to rattle in the 5/5S/SE and it is rather an abnormality that they don't, then I guess we should just accept it and enjoy using our new rattling phones.

So, what do you think/know, guys? :)

Last edited:

Decker39

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2016
UK
Good point! That's exactly what I was thinking as well. It does indeed seem that the majority of iPhones SE have rattling power buttons, it is a fact: my gut feeling tells me that it must clearly have been Apple's design choice (after some proper testing and years of experience with the production of iPhones 5/5S).

The thing is that I cannot figure out how this power button actually works on the inside of the iPhone. These iFixit photos of their recent teardown do give some clarity, but it is not entirely clear why exactly some buttons do and others don't rattle. Maybe there are people on this forum who can shed light on this.
ixxxk2.png
1z2ftrc.png
24y95it.png

The thing is... if it is perfectly normal for power buttons to rattle in the 5/5S/SE and it is rather an abnormality that they don't, then I guess we should just accept it and enjoy using our new rattling phones.

I've come to accept that when my son gets my 3rd replacement handset today, and the button rattles on that unit, i'm just going to live with it. I've been doing quite a bit of reading and this quirk of the new SE seems to be the norm. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 0087215

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
I've come to accept that when my son gets my 3rd replacement handset today, and the button rattles on that unit, i'm just going to live with it. I've been doing quite a bit of reading and this quirk of the new SE seems to be the norm. :rolleyes:

Thanks for keeping us informed, Decker39! This rattling does seem to be the norm.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think you're right, it is the norm and the exception for some reason is those that don't rattle.

I wonder if its a case of the iPhone SE having a gasket, that is a design choice of including the gasket is causing the button to rattle - I'm just conjecturing. I'm enjoying my phone too much though I need to find a case.

If the rattle does bother you, try getting a case like the Otterbox Symmetry. Its a rather unobtrusive type case that prevents the button from rattling.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I don't know. It certainly appears that the looseness is not something Apple is concerned about. Seeing that there's such a wide variance with the item, I'm thinking people probably have to just deal with it, if they really want the SE. It drove me nuts on the 5S I used to have for work, but it was not my phone. I just simply don't think that I can personally deal with it. I expect design to be intricately thought through. If a company puts so much thought into how parts you don't even see will look, than it sure as heck better think real hard about the things you do see.

Barrierfreeman

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2012
One thing I have noticed, as I have been using the SE on and off before UPS collects it, is when you tap anywhere in the top area of the screen it rattles the button. So every time you tap to refresh a Safari window, open an icon in that area etc, pull down notification centre, it rattles. So this issue is not just replicated when you use the SE as set of maracas.

I'm actually thinking of just picking up a refurb 5S at this point and revisiting the SE at the end of the year. As @maflynn says, it's not worth the hassle.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
I have both the power/lock button rattle and the yellow band across the top of the screen. Although neither actually affect the operation of the phone, they are very annoying and should not be there. The rattle is the most annoying, people are trying to underplay it on here but believe me it is quite bad, i was trying to close an app earlier that would not close so i was repeatedly pressing the close X in the corner of the app and the lock button was rattling like a goodun, you can also hear it when playing back videos as well as mentioned earlier in the thread. It has a loud cheap sounding click when you press it as well.

When i had my 5s i had neither of these issues, it was pretty much perfect. Also on the SE the home and volume buttons are very loud and clicky as well and feel pretty cheap, again both were perfect on my 5s, i was alway surprised how good the home button felt on the 5s. Just for the record the home button on my 6s has a cheap and clicky feel as well.

Although neither the rattling lock button rattling and yellow band on the top of the screen are deal breakers, i am going to try one exchange and if they are still there after that i will live with them because i love the SE so much and would not want another phone, i like it tens times more than my 6s.

I will wait until the last day of my 14 day return/exchange period then request an exchange via the Apple store, by then with a bit of luck Apple may have sorted these issues, if not then so be it i will live with them. But there could be a good chance Apple may have know about these issues before we did, my phone was a launch day phone so was probably built in January. I will request a replacement on the 14th April, but will probably have to wait 2-3 weeks for a new one as the SE has sold out in most places so the replacement phone i get will be a mid to end of April build, so that will be 3-4 months between builds so there is a good chance build quality will have improved.

I would not let any of this put you off buying the SE unless you have OCD, the SE really is a brilliant phone, i have never liked a phone so much even with the issues it has.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio

ixxxk2.png
1z2ftrc.png
24y95it.png

The fact is... if it is perfectly normal for power buttons to rattle in the 5/5S/SE and it is rather an abnormality that they don't, then I guess we should just accept it and enjoy using our new rattling phones.

That said, I think it's a stupid design choice, especially when it was their top of the line product. They should have put a rubber dome underneath. Apparently, in their effort to better seal the 6S, they have inadvertently(?) fixed the rattle issue.

Reactions: 0087215

Decker39

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2016
UK
Well guys, i'm here with the update ! Got the 3rd replacement handset, and guess what !! It rattles like two skeletons shagging on a tin roof !! These handsets must be made like this for 3 of them to rattle straight out of the box, or i'm straight out of luck. I've always said that if i fell in a bucket of tits, i'd come out sucking my thumb :( I'm just going to live with it i think, and wait until Apple decides to comment on this

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Well guys, i'm here with the update ! Got the 3rd replacement handset, and guess what !! It rattles like two skeletons shagging on a tin roof !! These handsets must be made like this for 3 of them to rattle straight out of the box, or i'm straight out of luck. I've always said that if i fell in a bucket of tits, i'd come out sucking my thumb :( I'm just going to live with it i think, and wait until Apple decides to comment on this

Decker39, it's great and sad at the same time to hear from you again, thank you for informing us! I guess all iPhones SE rattle and most of us will have to live with these rattles. Z3man has indicated how disturbing rattling sounds are and that they could be the reason for some SE owners to return their devices and to wait for a possible fix from Apple. (which will probably never come)

I can also see Mr. Buzzcut's point. I remember reading about the fact that iPhones 6 and 6S can better handle water damage and Apple does indeed seem to have changed the design of not only power buttons, but also other buttons making them more sturdy and less wobbly, which prevents water from getting inside. Unfortunately, iPhones SE is based on the old design of the 5S.

Personally, I have decided to wait a few weeks and try to order an iPhone SE in hope that new batches will not have this or any other issues.

Last edited:

Barrierfreeman

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2012
Sorry to hear that @Decker39. I have my replacements coming in a couple of weeks, and I guess will be a similar situation. Unlike you, I think I might just keep using my 5C for a bit, or pick up a refurb 5S. As using my SE today, the rattle when using/pressing the screen, really started to get on my tits.

Oh, and we made the front page: https://www.macrumors.com/2016/04/01/iphone-se-forums-first-impressions/

Reactions: Decker39

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Sorry to hear that @Decker39. I have my replacements coming in a couple of weeks, and I guess will be a similar situation. Unlike you, I think I might just keep using my 5C for a bit, or pick up a refurb 5S. As using my SE today, the rattle when using/pressing the screen, really started to get on my tits.

Oh, and we made the front page: https://www.macrumors.com/2016/04/01/iphone-se-forums-first-impressions/

I also noticed it, guys! There are references to your comments on the front page. :) It was great to read that.

Decker39

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2016
UK
Decker39, it's great and sad at the same time to hear from you again, thank you for informing us! I guess all iPhones SE rattle and most of us will have to live with these rattles. Z3man has indicated how disturbing rattling sounds are and that they could be the reason for some SE owners to return their devices and to wait for a possible fix from Apple. (which will probably never come)

Personally, I have decided to wait a few weeks and try to order an iPhone SE in hope that new batches will not have this or any other issues.

Thanks 0087215, just going to sit it out and start enjoying the phone, hopefully Apple will get inundated with complaints about the said issue with SE, and they will attempt to try and figure whether this is indeed normal or a QC slip up. I'm going to order a decent case in the hope that it subdues the rattle a bit :rolleyes:

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Thanks 0087215, just going to sit it out and start enjoying the phone, hopefully Apple will get inundated with complaints about the said issue with SE, and they will attempt to try and figure whether this is indeed normal or a QC slip up. I'm going to order a decent case in the hope that it subdues the rattle a bit :rolleyes:

It sounds good: the case will most certainly prevent the power button from rattling.

I don't think we should expect much from Apple in this regard though: they didn't do a thing about all those numerous complaints about the same issue of the iPhone 5/5S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.