Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I'm feeling even better about my prediction Apple's upcoming AR device will be glasses wirelessly connected via UWB to a recent iPhone that will do the heavy lift AR processing.

Perhaps the fan could be for times when a little extra processing oomph is needed.

Boris Bronson

macrumors regular
Actually I'd love a car phone holder with a cooling fan, as it can get super hot in the car during long drives in the summer, causing the phone to thermal shut off all the time. Never had it overheat anywhere else though.
That’s a good use case. You can imagine people in the South West of America or Australia loving something like that, even if they have cars with awesome air con.

mike1450

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2008

Razer today announced the launch of the Razer Phone Cooler Chroma, a MagSafe-compatible fan that's designed to attach to the back of an iPhone.

razer-chroma-fan-1.jpg

While there's a MagSafe version for the iPhone 12 and 13 models, there's also a second version with a clamp design that's meant for Android phones and that would also work with non-MagSafe iPhones.

Razer says that the Phone Cooler Chroma has a 7-blade fan with up to 6400rpm, and a 30dB noise profile for quiet performance. There's a Bluetooth connection to adjust the fan properties, and it is meant to work with a USB-C power cable as there is no included battery.

razer-chroma-fan-2.jpg

According to Razer, the device is meant to provide "advanced cooling technology" for improved gaming performance. The included 12 Razer Chroma RGB lights can also be customized.

The Razer Phone Cooler Chroma can be purchased from the Razer website for $60.

Article Link: Razer Launches MagSafe-Compatible Cooling Fan for iPhones
This is actually a terrific idea for a car mount as MagSafe + sunlight is constantly overheating my phone while I’m driving.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Don't laugh. The new iPhone models can get quite warm and thermal throttling often occurs (I've had this happen to my iPhone 12 a couple of times). That's why I have a protective case with decent cooling.
Phones that get hot to the touch only happen 2 ways: phone is in direct sunlight for prolonged time and/or phone is running buggy software and needs to be restarted or software deleted. There is no approved hardware or software that would lead to a hot phone requiring external cooling.

rimcrazy

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
Just what I've been looking for. I can put it right next to my EM Protection Medallion I pasted on my iPhone and it will fit when I store my iPhone under my crystal pyramid to keep the nasty 5G Covid causing radio waves........

dillacom

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2006
People are making fun of this but as someone who sometimes uses my phone in direct, 100 percent sunlight and temps in the 90s this could be extremely useful.
but you then have to plug it into a power source to use it

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
Mobile gaming isn't personally my thing, but that's who this is geared to. Razer makes gaming peripherals, and mobile gaming is actually pretty big. Cooler phone = less throttling = better performance in mobile games. There was recently an ESL tournament for League of Legends Wild Rift with a $200k prize pool. I believe PUBG mobile has done similar tournaments as well.

However, yes, for the average user, this will look ridiculous and be unnecessary.

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
People are making fun of this but as someone who sometimes uses my phone in direct, 100 percent sunlight and temps in the 90s this could be extremely useful.
Do you do that within 6 feet of a wall wort? This is corded.

Reactions: Deedolito

Sanme

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2017
People are only mad apple didn’t make it
It’s macrumors
If apple made this the clout alone would have made it sold out by now

Macintosh TV

Suspended
Nov 3, 2021
I've never seen an iPhone get warm enough to need one.
Back in the early days they certainly did, but that was 5+ years ago. I haven't had an app that taxes an iPhone to the point of really heating up in a long time (with the exception of a 3D scanner app I use occasionally, which utilizes mixed reality as it scans an object into a 3D map, but even that doesn't get very hot).

Sanme

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2017
Not for me but these comments are meh as per usual — I’ve read Xbox game streaming on iPhone 13 makes the phone so, so hot hundreds of times. This is a gaming company. They made something to combat that, plain and simple. Just as “April Fools” as a camera company making stick-on lenses for your iPhone.
Comments only reflect the way the apple fanbase thinks
Best believe if this was release by the fruit company it will have been back ordered by now
People seem to believe apple has the monopoly of “innovation”

Haiku_Oezu

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2016
It’s not so much that hooked don’t get hot or that it looks ridiculous
My concern is how is this going to help considering there’s no vents from which to suck hot air out of?

Sure it’s going to make a TINY bit of difference just from applying a cool surface but so would blowing cold air into or cold water into it.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
dumbest thing ever?
Probably not but I won't waste time posting dumber things.

If independent, reproduceable, and otherwise scientific results demonstrate it has an appreciable and statistically significant impact on phone performance, it could be a good product for a niche audience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.