Realistic look at new iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cgrier, Apr 14, 2010.

1. cgrier macrumors member

It's going to disappoint us guys...

1. It's have a better camera, 5mp... maybe better video, maybe a flash.
    2. iChat probably won't come to iphone, probably for the next iPad
    3. GPS/Maps will still suck, no turn by turn with voiceover... apple would rather you spend money in the app store for that.
    4. Better screen higher res.. whoopty doo
    5. Hopefully a better frigging external speaker and vibration... so sick of missing calls and alerts.
    6. It'll be faster... ok cool

All this crazy stuff ive been reading about fingerprint security, multitouch backing, FM/radio wave transmitter... not happening. I still have my 3G and if the next iPhone isn't more significant than this i will be upgrading to something else. Nexus one, HTC Incredible, and Droid have my attention... and apple doesnt seem to be stepping up. I REALLY HOPE I EAT MY WORDS!

2. troop231 macrumors 603

How do you know? Are you Steve Jobs/Apple? No..

I'm sure Apple knows what they're doing, and alot of people are going to buy the new iPhone this summer.

3. cgrier thread starter macrumors member

B/c look at OS 4.0. Unimpressive. They didnt announce any refreshments for any base apps.... obviously the next iphone will use os 4.0... do you think they heldback on a bunch of updates that are just for the next iphone? No.

4. JDee macrumors 6502a

What are you expecting? An extra memory function in Calculator?

5. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Obviously they didnt - or else it would give away the hardware.

Refreshments might come up in the next betas and it will slowly show the new hardware.

6. cgrier thread starter macrumors member

How about Mobile TV or turn by turn directions? iChat would be nice but probably wont happen...

7. tnisatard macrumors 6502

they can still announce new apps that are for the 2010 iphone only

like how the compass was for the 3GS, however lets hope its something bigger than a compass this time:mad:

8. cgrier thread starter macrumors member

It shouldnt be new... 4.0 alone should have updated the Maps app, speech to text? Why would you hold that back? The new iphone should be a Hardware update only... not app updates unless it's related to the new hardware.

9. troop231 macrumors 603

iChat would be a hardware only app I'm sure for the new iPhone.

10. JDee macrumors 6502a

So basically you're saying that the iPhone 3G should have had a compass app even though it didn't have the compass chip inside?

You should be going for bigger and better rather than limiting our expectations!

11. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Well, so far the 4.0 Beta is showing a flash on an iPhone. Considering that can't just *poof* be enabled by software, I'd venture a guess that the new phone will have a flash for the camera.
    And yes, that means they did hold back.

Steve Jobs said that the 3GS and iPod Touch 3rd gen will run "pretty much everything" regarding OS 4.0.
    And before you say he was talking about the iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2nd gen, what he said about them was "they will run many things."

12. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Nothing new there... Like I wrote in another thread most apple updates are going to be disappointing because people work themselves up into a frenzy with expectations, but Apple updates things very slowly we only get a little bit at a time, we get old technology which Apple can obtain at a cheaper price... why do you think they have all that reserve cash? Once people learn this concept and don't get their hopes up then we can eliminate all the disappointed rants after each update.

13. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

As far as hardware updates, I'd be happy with

-Better Camera
    -Better Screen
    -Better Speaker

Icing on the cake would be new casing instead of the plastic back.

All their software flaws, I will adjust myself through jailbreaking.

But at the very least if those three items above aren't updated, than I will be dissapointed.

14. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

What!? Apple would NEVER put flash on an iPhone ;)

15. troop231 macrumors 603

But A led flash perhaps :cool:

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No matter what new stuff they include in the next iphone people will still get dissapointed and complain for one thing or another.
    Its not one size fits all. If the new iphone dont cut it for you theres tons of other choices out there.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I got that already.
    Navigon and Slingplayer are my 2 favorite apps.

18. troop231 macrumors 603

Exactly, if you want more get a HTC EVO :rolleyes:

19. azsprty macrumors 6502

What is the big infatuation with ichat on a phone. I don't get it. The picture will be small and depending on your signal it maybe blurry and delayed and with that said how many people will actually USE ichat on the phone?

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The same love affair with a front facing camera on the iPad

21. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a

It will have:

- better screen
    - better camera
    - better processor/memory
    - slightly different form factor (thinner, place for led flash, etc...)
    - front facing camera

I think that is the realistic look, minus the sarcastic comments afterward.

22. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

1. No
    2. Likely
    3. Yes
    4. No
    5. Possible
    6. No

23. houdinize macrumors regular

I think they will have to have a killer feature in order to market it as new. 2nd gen had 3G, 3GS was faster and had video as a concrete new feature, 4th gen I think will need to offer up something more than just faster and better resolution. I think iChat is definitely a possibility as their big concrete fixture to advertise. "iPhone, now with iChat" (iPhone 3GSi). Whether this means a frontfacing camera, not sure, I guess it could be an MMS/chat client to substitute texting and instant messaging in one. I try to imagine a tag line, and faster or better graphics, or even "now with a flash" (would confuse everyone regarding adobe issues) and I don't see those working.

24. btcutter macrumors 6502

What else do you want on your PHONE?! Come on.

It's a PHONE!

Most of the things it can do or we want it to do well is limited by the bandwidth. Get 4G out everywhere then talk about features for the phone.

25. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

To the OP:

Stop complaining and just leave the iPhone and go to Android or WinMo. After your there for a month or two and realize how buggy those platforms are and you decide to come back, make sure you start another thread apologizing for wasting our time having to read this thread.