Recall

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stphnman20, Jun 25, 2010.

1. stphnman20 macrumors regular

Do you guys think in the near future that apple will do a recall since there are so many negative post/news about the new iphone 4?

2. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

No.

3. diabolic macrumors 68000

I doubt there is any chance of that happening.

4. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Uh no. If enough people cry maybe they will ship free bumpers. Whoopie.

5. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I could use a free bumper.

Remember when the Wii first came out and everyone was smashing their big-screen TVs? Nintendo quickly and freely issued up to 4 wrist straps and gel cases for the Wii Remotes. No proof of purchase required, just fill out a form on the web and it gets sent in the mail.

Great move on Nintendo's part. Wonder if Apple could ever do the same.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Recall a reported 1-1.5 million phones. Not a chance in hell.

Put stop loss on AAPL shares just in case.

7. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

Hmmm a recall on 1 million phones...

With an average price of $250, that would cost Apple $250 million....ya not happening. ;)

8. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

What seams like "lots of issues" is actually probably about 5-10% of the iPhone 4's, if that. Its just that the 5-10% is whats in the news. You dont really hear from the 90-95% that have no issues.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No. There is a report on AppleInsider saying worst case Apple gives owners a free bumper. This is similar to what Nintendo did when the media latched on to stories about idiots throwing their Wii controllers into their TV. Soon after Nintendo sent free controller cases to any customer who requested them and prepacked them in new shipments.

Honestly, Apple should just bite the bullet and have Steve say, it's no big deal, but to alleviate any concern here have a cookie...er bumper. I mean they cost Apple .10 each to make. Have customers come into the store to pick one up. They don't even have to package them for retail. Just ship them to stores in bulk. Of course there will be customers who will then complain the color they wanted wasn't available. Boo Hoo. It really does suck being in retail sometimes, so I understand Job's frustration. He is a genius dealing with monkeys.

10. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

Probably more like 1-2% I would guess.

Doesnt matter if you do 100 good things, its the 1 bad thing that people will remember.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

That's no "report". That's some jackass analyst talking out of his ass.

12. raremage macrumors 6502a

I the world of the Interwebz, I think that counts. Heck, he probably blogs somewhere, making him a reporter in the new world order ;)

13. iphoneZ macrumors regular

Prediction: full recall Monday

this reception issue is quickly spiraling out of control and getting worse by the minute. anyone who has been able to reproduce it or is not an iSheep knows that this cripples the iphone for both calling and internet. they will have no choice but recall or face massive PR hit and lawsuits

14. stphnman20 thread starter macrumors regular

With so many complaints and returns, you never know...

15. protox macrumors regular

No they won't. They're going to try and mask it first with a firmware update then if all else fails, free bumpers to all and if that's not satisfactory for some, they'll do a voluntary recall.

16. kodek macrumors member

They'd have to recall the 3GS too, seeing as I'm now having the same problem with it after upgrading to iOS4.

17. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Apples not about to recall any product unless forced to do so. Even if it is defective, they will do anything to avoid a recall.

18. supremeMilo macrumors member

Why do people like you even bother to post? the phone costs way more than $250, however if it was recalled the ones sent back would be fixed and refurbished and resold, probably at a loss of much less than $20 a phone.

19. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

I just saw where one problem is with the reception/signal is due to software problems and not the phone. Reports starting to come out same prob with 3GS running IOS 4.. Soon the 4.01 update will fix this problem!

So no I don't see a recall!

20. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

No issues :D

21. falconeight Guest

falconeight

22. glen e macrumors 68030

if it is now happening on the 3Gs, then it's software...and there will be a tweak and we'll be done with this. Amazing how many people really don't understand how things work. Internet blows things way out of proportion. This is minor.

23. tuatha macrumors regular

Very unlikely.

There's probably a case for a recall, but they won't do it. I'd be surprised if they even fully acknowledge the issue. As bad as this is (and it is!) a full recall of their flagship device would be catastrophic.

Corporations 101 teaches that you deny as much as possible for as long as possible!

My prediction: they'll slightly alter the design for the next major production run and authorize customer service to replace faulty units on request only.

24. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Recalling 1.5 million iPhones would probably cost $400 million, stocks would drop, and that would be bad news for the company. The issue isn't bad enough for a recall, that's for sure. Free bumpers would be the best solution, with no recall necessary afterwards.

25. kryten3000 macrumors regular

kryten3000

um, no. At most their will be a iOS update 4.0.1