Received Official O2 MMS Activation Message

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AnthonyHarris, Jun 4, 2009.

1. AnthonyHarris macrumors regular

AnthonyHarris

I received a message from O2 telling me that MMS had been successfully set up for me.

I registered my iPhone though a developer so I could use the 3.0 beta firmware but I was unable to get anywhere with O2 with regard to activating MMS.

The fact that O2 have activated MMS 3/4 days before more news on the progress of 3.0 points to imminent release.

I think that we will be seeing 3.0 within the next week, but another thread on here points to it not coming to fruition for another month. That, I'm afraid, is unlikely if O2 have started to officially allow the sending of pictures.

I might just be one in a million, but I doubt it. And yes. I have just registered with Mac Rumors, but I have spent the past two years on the site watching rumors and waiting for the next big thing :apple::apple::apple:

Here is proof of the message.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Looks like further proof to me. We shall be seeing 3.0 very, very soon. I'm sure the people who say it's coming out in July are the same ones who insisted we would never see MMS on the iPhone.

3. AnthonyHarris thread starter macrumors regular

AnthonyHarris

There are probably thousands upon thousands of people using the 3.0 software 'illegitimately' and very few of those would have had MMS activated when the Beta was released.

I am hoping that we will have a few more posting pics of official activations. I know how quickly people jump on the 'You're a liar with photoshop' band wagon lol
    :rolleyes:

4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

5. arovik macrumors member

What about the fact that MMS have been a service offered in the cellular networks for a LONG time? it's not a new service. And the Iphone use exactly the same way to receive/send an MMS as other phones. it's a standard.

What I mean is that the service providers does'nt have to do ANYTHING at all, besides making profiles for iphone for automatic setup of MMS through a configuration-sms/app.

6. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

i wish att would get going and enable it for us as well..

^but the feature normally isnt enables on iphone plans..the fact that they just enabled it means that official 3.0 release is soon..

7. abz786 macrumors 6502

here in canada, Rogers has already added MMS to the value packs!
    so i think 3.0 is coming out soon!

8. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

? sorry i dont understand the comment. what looks poor? the layout?

9. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

this looks very cool but i dont understand the pictures? did was there 2 pictures in one message and it cycled through them? or did you get 2 messages and manage to recieve/take screen/delete/recieve/take screen all in 1 minute?

10. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

this is interesting. considering the US gets everything first with apple, I think when ATT enable it is when we will have an iminent release.

11. AnthonyHarris thread starter macrumors regular

AnthonyHarris

Fair enough. MMS has been around for years. I just found it strange that 4 days to go before Apple make some announcements, my iPhone becomes enabled to send pictures. O2 have switched it on for me which is for certain. I actually had a few other messages which refer directly to the iPhone, and issues with sending MMS messages. I received them just after i successfully send an image to my partner.

I'll post them at the top.

12. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I was wondering the same thing actually. Geez, watch it be animated GIFs... It WAS animated GIFs!

13. arovik macrumors member

did it just activate automaticly, without you putting in the settings for mms proxy, etc.. or did you actually write in all of the settings yourself?

14. AnthonyHarris thread starter macrumors regular

AnthonyHarris

Its an animated gif hence the two images... It actually scrolls through three screens. 1, says All Done, 2, says Picture messaging is ready to use, and 3, says Only on O2...

...trouble is I cant seem to get the gif to work once saved onto my mac.

15. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yeah, the interface is awful.

16. AnthonyHarris thread starter macrumors regular

AnthonyHarris

I added a carrier update about a month ago. Didn't make a difference to me originally because the my iPhone tariff wasn't enabled. I couldn't send MMS at all, regardless of what I tried. Until, of course, O2 sent that message.

Edit: So yes, Sorry, In short... It was automatic.

17. magga macrumors regular

This is strange - I'm on O2 in the UK and have 3.0 firmware but have not received the message.

I also tried to get O2 to enable MMS for me but had no luck - although they did keep sending me daily text messages saying "We cannot process your request for Picture Messaging. Please call Customer Service or visit O2.co.uk" which makes me think someone did attempt to activate it at least.

18. The General macrumors 601

Normally, the bubble IS the image as shown here:

[​IMG]

19. kisbys macrumors regular

20. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Interface felt right while it was working for me...

Same as inline iChat images: you see the small version inline, tap once (click on Mac) and you see the image full size.

21. kisbys macrumors regular

Have to say I like it too it really works its simple your can see whats happening...

22. AnthonyHarris thread starter macrumors regular

AnthonyHarris

Did you receive the same message as I did? OR, did you just try and realize its on... :eek::apple:

23. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Have you had a chance to use it? I find it perfectly fine.

The interface is exactly the same as the current SMS one. MMS is perfectly integrated into the current iChat style system, so SMS and MMS appear in the same threads.

Touching an MMS opens the image to full screen.

24. kisbys macrumors regular

read your message manually input the mms settings and sent one went through then got message saying "all done" with an o2 picture so feeling good about that...

I agree its not a revelutionary messaging system... but what more did you want the sms in the iphone is way better than most other phones so why break a great system...