Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I'm in NJ, and my replacement arrived today. They're being shipped DHL Express overnight, so distance from california shouldn't have any bearing.

Toppa G's

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
The exurbs, MN
I actually lost the old adapter in the couple weeks since I ordered the replacement - I wonder how that will work...:confused:

I had a rash of bad luck with iPhone accessories - misplaced the earbuds one week and lost the charger adapter the next week. :(

thechad003

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
Arizona
got mine

Got mine as well today live in chandler az also called up DHL and the old one is on its way back to apple:apple:

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Don't have the original charger... What do I return??

Here's a good "what-if" to ponder...

I bought a 3G a couple weeks ago and the Apple Store salesperson informed me of the recall and removed the original charger from the box saying "I can't let you leave the store with this."

He said that getting a new one would be no problem because its "all tied to the serial number, and they can see the date of purchase." While I certainly don't doubt this, I'm getting concerned about the printed materials saying I must return the original one (which is probably sitting in a pile of other defective chargers at the 5th Ave store) and I obviously don't have it.

Think I can just ignore the return instructions when my replacement comes?

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I have two of them, and one of them was defective. One of the prongs came off in the outlet. I tossed it in the garbage after this happened, so I don't have it to return. They really have no way to charge you. They can send a bill, and ask nicely for money, but there's really no way to enforce it.

MacTo737

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2008
Just signed up to get my replacement and I had to sign in using my Apple ID. When I originally signed up for Apple ID, I had to provide a CC number. I guess that's how they might charge you.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Just signed up to get my replacement and I had to sign in using my Apple ID. When I originally signed up for Apple ID, I had to provide a CC number. I guess that's how they might charge you.

They can't just charge your credit card without your consent.

DigMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
I finally got around to submitting my web request today. The page that tells about the recall says that they will ship the replacement within a week. However, after I filled out the online request form for the replacement it said after I submitted it that the replacement would ship in two weeks.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
I just received the new version of the USB charger. Doesn't seem that much different than the old one.

They do say if you don't return the old one, they may charge you for it. Of course, I didn't give them my CC for this exchange. I just wish I knew it was coming, I could have swapped it and given the old one to the DHL guy right away.

What time of day did it arrive? The only reason I've been hesitant about filling out the online form is that they say they ship them in the delivery trucks during business hours and require a signature. I can't be there from 8 to 3 because of school.

KSpider

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2006
San Diego, CA
Im just waiting to figure out if we HAVE to return the old ones... my old one sits by by nightstand and never moves, no danger there...

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey
Im just waiting to figure out if we HAVE to return the old ones... my old one sits by by nightstand and never moves, no danger there...

From Apple's USB Adapter Exchange Program page:
(as if the title doesn't tell you...)
(Highlights added)
The Exchange Process

Replacement adapters will be available starting Friday, October 10, 2008.
There are two ways to exchange your current ultracompact Apple USB power adapter for a new, redesigned adapter.
  • Order a replacement adapter via the web. These replacement adapters will ship within one week of your order.
  • Exchange your adapter at an Apple Retail Store starting on October 10.
We'll need to collect your iPhone 3G's serial number as part of the exchange process.

If you apply via the web, you will also need to provide your name and address so that we can send you a new adapter along with a shipment box so that you can return the affected adapter to Apple.

If you visit an Apple Retail Store, you need to bring your affected adapter(s) and your iPhone 3G(s) with you to complete the exchange process.

If you live in Latin America, we will announce the appropriate exchange program information before October 10.

Thank you for your cooperation with this exchange program, and we apologize for any inconvenience.
Apple is highly unlikely to let you keep the bad adapter, as it poses a liability for them if it is still out there. Which is why they are exchanging them, anyway...

:apple::apple:

deimos256

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
I ordered mine the first day, Im in FL and I still have not received mine, however its only 1230, and i have no idea what time DHL comes around here

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey
Here's a good "what-if" to ponder...

I bought a 3G a couple weeks ago and the Apple Store salesperson informed me of the recall and removed the original charger from the box saying "I can't let you leave the store with this."

He said that getting a new one would be no problem because its "all tied to the serial number, and they can see the date of purchase." While I certainly don't doubt this, I'm getting concerned about the printed materials saying I must return the original one (which is probably sitting in a pile of other defective chargers at the 5th Ave store) and I obviously don't have it.

Think I can just ignore the return instructions when my replacement comes?

I hope they gave you a reciept, or something to prove that they took it from you. Or, at least put your name on a list to get one when they come in.

Otherwise...

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey
I ordered mine the first day, Im in FL and I still have not received mine, however its only 1230, and i have no idea what time DHL comes around here

Apple site says they're available starting Friday, October 10. I wouldn't start worrying about it until then. Those who have them already are just lucky, I suppose...

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey
Way to go Apple, deliver it in a waste of space. For a second I thought Apple sent me air.

They just used a standard shipping box. There are only so many sizes that they'll stock for making returns. Better a bigger box than a smaller one for a host of reasons.

Besides, it's not like it would cost them any less to ship it in a more "size-appropriate" box. And it's harder for the shipping company to lose...

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
The theory is that since it is bigger that you can't ship as many at once so it takes more carbon to ship the same amount of units if they're in a bigger box. I'm not sure if such a thing would matter for something like this though due to the distributed nature of where they're shipping these things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.