References to New iPads and 7th-Generation iPod Touch Found in iOS 12.2

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 25, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Earlier today, registration info for seven new iPad models was discovered in the Eurasian Economic Commission Database, and now signs of new iPads and a 7th-generation iPod touch have been found in iOS 12.2.

Developer Steven Troughton-Smith has discovered references to four new iPad models, ranging from iPad 11,1 to iPad 11,4, two of which are WiFi and two of which are cellular. These model numbers do not correspond to any known iPad models.

[​IMG]

Troughton-Smith speculates that the iPad model numbers could be new iPad mini devices, which would be in line with rumors suggesting a new iPad mini 5 is in the works. According to Troughton-Smith, none of the iPads have Face ID, which is what we would expect as a new iPad mini is likely to be positioned as an affordable, lower-end device.

There's also a reference to "iPod 9,1," which does not match up with any known iPod touch devices, suggesting it is a new next-generation model. The current sixth-generation iPod touch is "iPod 7,1," for reference. The iPod listed in iOS 12.2 does not appear to have Face ID or Touch ID, which is in line with the current iPod touch.

[​IMG]

Previous rumors have indeed suggested Apple is working on a 7th-generation iPod touch, an iPad mini 5, and a new version of the lower-cost 9.7-inch iPad, which may actually be upgraded to 10 inches in its next iteration.

Apple earlier this week registered seven iPads with the Eurasian Economic Commission, and at least some of those could be the four iPad models Troughton-Smith has discovered in iOS 12.2. Those model numbers included A2123, A2124, A2126, A2153, A2154, A2133, and A2152.

We first began hearing about Apple's work on a refreshed iPad mini in late 2018, and since then, chatter has picked up. Rumors have suggested a new fifth-generation iPad mini will be released in the first half of 2019, and with signs showing up in iOS 12.2 and the Eurasian database (where Apple is required to register all new devices), that prediction is sounding more and more accurate.

There's been mixed information about what to expect from an iPad mini update. A case leak suggested a vertical camera and quad speakers, but a photo of an unreleased iPad mini, which could be the new iPad mini, featured an older A9 processor and a design that's similar to the fourth-generation iPad mini.

[​IMG]
    A leaked case allegedly for the iPad mini 5​

We'll need to wait for additional information to figure out just what features the iPad mini will include, but it sounds like it's going to be more similar to the current 9.7-inch iPad than an iPad Pro. As for a launch date, it's looking like it could potentially come when iOS 12.2 is released, perhaps in late February or early March. The rumored 7th-generation iPod touch could be released at the same time.

[​IMG]
    A photo of a leaked, unreleased iPad mini that could be the iPad mini 5​

Apple has held events in March for the last few years, so it would not be a surprise to see yet another March event in 2019.

Article Link: References to New iPads and 7th-Generation iPod Touch Found in iOS 12.2

2. radiologyman macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I hope Apple will expedite release of new models giving somewhat dissapointing revenue projections

3. polee, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019

polee macrumors 6502a

polee

Hope their prices will not be too high to instantly make these launches a failure...

4. subjonas macrumors 68000

A9? Apple doesn’t update the iPad mini 4 for 3.5 years, then gives it a 3.5 year old processor? Wow
    upload_2019-1-25_17-4-27.png

5. firewire9000 macrumors regular

6. PickUrPoison macrumors 68030

An A9 is extremely unlikely imo. I expect at least A10 with maybe 3GB

7. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

About time! Let's hope Apple doesn't skimp out on the parts and processors for these guys. Especially considering this will probably be the only iPod/iPad mini update for the next half decade!

8. PickUrPoison macrumors 68030

Why not? $199 is a nice price point. Like the mini 4, it’s got an A8 that needs updating.

9. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

Current iPod touch doesn't have Touch ID so not really a leap to suggest the new one wouldn't either.

10. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

I’m really looking forward to an updated iPod touch. I have a Michel use case for it, so this willl be an instant purchase for me.

11. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

Ipod touch pro. You can touch and feel like a pro at starting price only 599.

12. AngerDanger, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

iOS clairvoyance isn't always 100% accurate, right?! Because I did a little digging of my own, and…

deathbywolves.gif

13. brendu macrumors 68020

As the iPod touch is mostly used by kids these days I see why no touchID works. I could see myself getting one for my kids to use for music, games, and the camera.

14. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Does an iPod touch even have a place today, given how you can easily buy a second hand older iphone for around that price anyways?

15. lunarworks macrumors 65816

For little kids that you don't want having an actual phone?

16. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Then just pass them the older iphone (say a 6S or SE) but not get a phone plan? Isn’t that basically what an iPod touch is?

17. kt87 macrumors newbie

Any chance these new models will implement Face ID? Apple really needs to streamline their products now.. it's a mess.

18. Zenithal macrumors 604

Because in the US even a phone without service can make calls to emergency services.

19. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

If the iPod touch is going to be a budget device, I doubt it.

20. Zenithal macrumors 604

I don't believe that word exists in any dictionary at Cupertino. If it did, it's to be cut out with an x-acto knife.

21. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

As in, budget relative to the rest of the lineup. Apple caters to the premium market, which is defined more by value than by price.

I think that’s the number one mistake many people make when they say that Apple needs to release a dirt-cheap this or that. The iPod touch is like to be positioned as cheaper than even the cheapest iphone Apple currently sells, which doesn’t exactly leave a lot of room for the latest technology.

22. Zenithal macrumors 604

Budget is budget. Arguing semantics is a bit silly. The new Touch will likely be more than $400, putting it way out of whatever budget would mean true to its definition or relative to Apple's lineup.

To presume the new Touch will be anything like the old Touch is silly, too.

23. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

The iphone SE was released on clearance recently at $249. I don’t see the iPod touch costing more than that. That’s my baseline.

24. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

Who needs a touch when everyone has a hand me down phone in a drawer?

25. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

iPod Touch with cellular will sell like hot cakes.