Refunds when you get an app update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by freepomme, Jun 4, 2016.

1. freepomme macrumors 6502a

Will Apple issue refunds when you are forced to do an app update? The app then becomes something which you did not pay for. And they don't let you download the old version of the app. So...

I can't use this new app with the update they did to it. It's function has been completely changed. And now I want my account to be credited.

2. Armen, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016

Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You paid for the app and used the app until the update. There is nothing to refund. contact the dev with your concerns. What app are you talking about exactly and what's wrong with it?

3. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

It's annoying that ever since iOS 9 we can't make app backups to iTunes anymore.

4. freepomme, Jun 4, 2016

freepomme thread starter macrumors 6502a

The thing about these app updates is you pay for something and then when you get an update, you're forced to keep that app. And it doesn't do what you originally paid for. It changes the functionality of the app. Updates always did this in the past but nowadays, the updates these developers are coming up with now are I'm pretty sure whatever comes out of their minds.

And I told the developers this!

I mean look at the difference. Come on man! They're calling it "Vocalive 3"

And I'm pretty sure the add-ons you paid for in the past well now they don't count!

So pretty much you're just getting robbed. That's why I don't really spend anything on the iTunes Store. Developers break apps on the regular.

And then you've got all these YouTube videos, video after video, and all these online articles talking about how to "Downgrade" an app.

I mean these developers are getting hand over foot on us, and we just sit there like lemmings.

Edit: I misspoke you're not forced to keep the app. You can delete it. But the question remains.

Attached Files:

5. laudern macrumors 6502a

Humm interesting opinion that I do agree with on a few levels. No doubt that your issue would be addressed somewhere in the App stone's T&Cs.

I'd assume that you are not actually buying the specific version of the app at that point in time, but rather a licence to use the app from that point onwards.

6. G.McGilli macrumors regular

If you do an iPhone backup before you update any apps - can you not just restore your phone an hour later if you don't like the new version of the apps?

Seriously, I don't know the answer...

7. zone23 macrumors 68000

You can't back up your apps but you can still download them. Its a bit of a hassle at first to search and download every app but once you have them your all set. I have all my apps downloaded. You are probably already aware of this..

8. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

I mean that sometimes it's nice to have backups of a certain version of an app, which isn't possible anymore. Now there's no choice but to download the latest release. I still use TuneIn v.3, for example, before it became a bloated, ad-riddled mess.

9. zone23 macrumors 68000

but if you had the old one downloaded in iTunes couldn't you install it?

10. smacrumon, Jun 4, 2016

smacrumon Suspended

smacrumon

Absolutely you should expect a refund from Apple. You did use the app, however if the function has completely changed, you did not get what you originally paid for. An option to revert back to the previous version should also be available. App developers shouldn't expect customers will be happy to accept apps that completely change and instead should be releasing a new app. Many times have I read complaints from customers on the App Store reviews where apps have changed significantly. Customers pay for apps with certain functionalities and should expect them to work over time. You should contact the developer to give your constructive feedback, and in the case of not getting a response back, leave a review through the App Store.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 4, 2016 ---
    The user has paid for an app that has in effect been withdrawn and completely replaced. The app no longer works as it was advertised at the time of purchase. The user should expect either a full refund or be able to revert to the previous version. Under many jurisdictions around the world, the user would likely be covered by consumer laws relating to a product being fit for its purpose irrelevant of whether something is buried in Apple's App Store terms and conditions that attempts to preclude the user's basic consumer rights.
    The user should seek and expect a complete refund.

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Leave a review and contact the developers. Be direct but cordial.

12. Kobbr macrumors regular

Turn off automatic updates since Apple doesn't let you download older versions.

Do you happen to have an older version of the app stored on your computer? You could always sync that over to your phone.

13. freepomme thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't even use iTunes. I don't have to. iTunes is a lackluster product. I refuse to use iTunes.

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Ok. Thanks for sharing. Not sure how's it's related to your OP though.

15. RedOrchestra, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016

RedOrchestra Suspended

This is a problem, not just with iPhone/iPad Apps, it's a problem throughout the eco-system.

1) I have an OCR App for my iMac, purchased through the App Store where it cost me $55.00. Earlier this spring it failed to open - easy, I'll just download it again and replace it on my iMac - the company no longer offers the App. I contacted App support and they were of no help in fact they were downright pathetic.

2) iBooks is notorious for no longer offering books that you have previously purchased so if you have a problem with the book you're out of luck or if you purchase a new device the purchase is not available for download - and the way they are now saved on the desktop you'll never find them.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 5, 2016 ---

Because the post above said he could just sync through iTunes - and the OP responded in kind - I too, never sync my iPhone or iPad through iTunes.

16. willmtaylor, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

4 posts above refer to iTunes. For clarity, he should've used the "reply" button.

I think we can all agree though, that iTunes sucks.

17. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

No not really I use it daily without issue. Have so for many years.

18. freepomme thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm going to continue getting my refund. They're not getting over on me. It's either going to come out of Apple's pocket or the developers.

And iTunes has no purpose.

19. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

The way I see it, you paid for the app.. so you got your money's worth. Failure to research the app prior to purchase is the fault of the end user. Updates are just icing on the cake and shouldn't be considered as being part of the pricing structure. Do you expect updates when you buy a toaster or microwave? No. The reason you don't expect updates with those items is that those items usually cannot be updated. I think the expectation of updates lies in the fact that software can be updated, so people expect updates. Some people view updates as an addition to the current version when they should view updates as an entirely different version. I think this would alleviate some problems.

20. RedOrchestra Suspended

CUTE, you must be a developer of little renown.

I did just that and no where did it say that the App was a time-limited offering and would not be supported immediately after purchasing it. And no, I didn't get my money's worth out of the App.

21. freepomme, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2016

freepomme thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't get my money's worth. I purchased an app last year and now the app is gone. I want a refund.

I read and reread this sentence and I can't figure out how this is relevant. I'm scratching my head pulling my hair out because I don't know how what you just said relates to the situation at hand

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

really? because you can download apps in iTunes and have a prior version or direct on your phone.....

23. freepomme thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple needs to have a revert function built into the App Store. Otherwise, I WILL request a refund. And I told them this!

Just think of how much wasted money you were shelling out to Apple. From all of these apps that you had purchased. That are now probably not even on the App Store. And you sit there and think about it and you're like, "Hmm. How many apps have I purchased? How much money can I get back?"

24. RedOrchestra Suspended

So, if I buy the Adobe Photoshop App and the update turns the App into an app selling lollipops I should be OK with that ... yeah, right.