Refurbished MacBook Pro Retina's appear in Online Store!

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
And used cMBP-15s will take another $200-$300 hit in value...

...right after I bought one!

Comment

Mac-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto, ON
Comment

bill-p

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2011
So 130 days till refurbs shows up for MacBook Pros? Why so late?
Probably rMBPs returned due to image retention were sent back to factory and refitted with new screens.

Hopefully so.

Don't have this problem with my rMBP, so no complaint either way.

For $1830 + tax, I think the base model rMBP is a steal.

Comment

lcseds

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Why would you want 'Refurb' RMBP? There are already issues with them and buying one USED is not a smart way to go...Just my two cents I could be wrong...I would never buy USED laptops...!
Because you can save money.
Because they are usually perfect.
Because you still get the full 1 year warranty.
Because you can still buy the extended Applecare protection.
Because technicians have QA'd the system, not line workers.
Because a Refurb has passed more quality testing than a system off the production line.

Question is.....Why NOT buy a refurb?

Comment

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Why would you want 'Refurb' RMBP? There are already issues with them and buying one USED is not a smart way to go...Just my two cents I could be wrong...I would never buy USED laptops...!
Refurbished is not used. They're practically new, but usually have been returned within the 14-day return period without major defects, or were used as a demo or display (obviously not for long in this case, and that's probably not where these came from). They also have had any problems fixed and have had a thorough inspection by a qualified technician.

I'd rather buy a refurb than new in a lot of cases.

jW

Comment

Mdwall

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
It is feasible that the refurbs may be better machines than the new ones. Though now that IR is considered normal, that may not be the case.

Comment

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Hi-Res 2880x1800 Display with Dead Pixels - $100 •

Comment

philipfreire

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
im not surprised with the amount of people buying and returning this model.

If you want to even save more money on a refurb, checkout with the student discount. You dont have to prove what school you went to or anything, just add a university or college name on checkout and thats it! In stores they require you to show your student card. This is what an apple store salesperson told me. Then I ordered my macbook pro retina with the student discount. Saved quite a bit of money and it worked!

FYI: Im in canada, not sure if the rules are different to the guys south of the border.

Hopefully this works and helps you guys save a little more. :)

Comment

Mac-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto, ON
Your save $200-300 and still get the same warranty as a new device.
You can use a student discount and buy a new machine instead of fingerprint and minor scratches on the USED laptop...

----------

Because you can save money.
Because they are usually perfect.
Because you still get the full 1 year warranty.
Because you can still buy the extended Applecare protection.
Because technicians have QA'd the system, not line workers.
Because a Refurb has passed more quality testing than a system off the production line.

Not always perfect....usually minor nicks and scratches on them...
Regardless you get it with the NEW laptop purchase..
You can purchase the Applecare with NEW RMBP
No one here knows really how well the USED laptops have been inspected...
How can you prove that? QA Testing has passed better then a line production..no one knows this??

Overall buying USED of anything is a risk...Once tampered with and played around with...its NEVER the say as a NEW product....

----------

I wondered where all the returns were at!!!!
Ppl who send back their RMBP's with LG or Samsung screen or creaks and noises or fan too loud or heats up too much..WELL GUESS what there all being refurbished and reSOLD to ppl for $100-200 less..in my books that is not worth it all!! Just use the STUDENT DISCOUNT and get $100 off the NEW RMBP's..

Last edited:
Comment

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
They'll keep getting picked off immediately but it's worth popping in early to see if you can snag one. The great thing is they're selling them now, that's great to know!

Comment

Mdwall

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
You can use a student discount and buy a new machine instead of fingerprint and minor scratches on the USED laptop...
Yeah if you are a student then I suppose you could but if those prices are correct it would still benefit you by a significant amount to go with a 'furb.
2,379 vs. 2799 is quite significant. Even with the student discount you would still be money ahead. And anything I've ever bought off the refurb store has been imperceptibly the same as a brand new item save the fancy box. Of course there is the chance that you might have one with a scratch here or there but, you can return it in 14 days if you don't like it so really why exactly is that a bad thing?
I'm not saying I don't understand the whole OMG it's new! point FWIW, I'm just saying that you seem to be painting an incorrect picture of the refurbished products when I have heard nothing but good about them most of the time.

Comment

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009

----------

No always perfect....usually minor nicks and scratches on them...
Regardless you get it with the NEW laptop purchase..
You can purchase the Applecare with NEW RMBP
No one here knows really how well the USED laptops have been inspected...
How can you prove that? QA Testing has passed better then a line production..no one knows this??

Overall buying USED of anything is a risk...Once tampered with and played around with...its NEVER the say as a NEW product....

----------

So much misinformation here it is just silly. This poster must be new to Apple products.

Comment

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Only reason for me is that I can't stand not getting my Apple gear the day it's released. ;)

My monitors are refurb, everything else is new - but I highly recommend the refurb store both here and to everyone I know.

Comment